Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 3rd Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 73Thanks
    Morbier
    Advice needed, selling car privately
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    Advice needed, selling car privately 3rd Jul 18 at 4:39 PM
    Hello all

Newbie here, so bear with me.

Im selling my Mini Cooper S privately as I assume that I will get more money for it that way.

However, being a lady of a certain age I am a bit worried about when it comes to taking prospective buyers for a test drive. Nothing wrong with the car, I hasten to add, just me feeling very vulnerable with strangers in my car. What if a couple of big, burly blokes turn up?! Never mind whether we could all fit in a Mini! What is there to stop them chucking me out and driving off with my car?

I know I have to make sure they have insurance before I let them drive, and I know not to leave the engine running while I am outside the car, in case they jump in and drive off but what else should I do?

Apologies in advance to any big, burly blokes who would never harm little old (well, not that old) ladies! It was just an example of my fears.

Some useful hints from anyone who has been in this situation would be very welcome, thanks.
Page 1
    • alan_d
    • By alan_d 3rd Jul 18, 4:45 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    alan_d
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:45 PM
    I think you're worrying too much.
    If you're unhappy with the potential buyer(s) then you could refuse to let them drive it.
    Or take the hit and use we-buy-any-car or trade it in.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 3rd Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    Arrange to have a big burly friend with you when they come to test drive.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 3rd Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:31 PM
    Insist on seeing that they are insured to drive it (usually drive another car witht he owners permission). If they aren't just offer to demonstrate it to them with you driving.

Might be less hassle to just sell it to WeBuyAnyCar or similar.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 3rd Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Morbier
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    Yes, I agree that WeBuyAnyCar would save on the hassle but I!!!8217;m being penny-pinching and trying to get as much as I can for it.

I understand that WBAC would offer less than I could get on eBay/Autotrader etc but I!!!8217;ve also heard that when you take it in, they reduce their offer further.

Yes, I!!!8217;d also thought of having a big burly bloke with me but there!!!8217;s a limit to how many people you can get in a Mini!, (legally)!
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 3rd Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    I took buyer on a test drive, he was just sitting on passenger side and listening to any noise or potential issues. Actually, it wasn't even buyer, but his friend.

Alternative to WBAC is Tootle.co.uk You advertise your car there and get offers from traders. I successfully sold my previous car this way, got decent offers and it was hassle free. It's free for seller, trader pays commission to the website.

• Morbier
    • By Morbier 3rd Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Morbier
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    I!!!8217;ve heard of Tootle but thought it was for newer cars, mine!!!8217;s ten years old.

I like the idea of letting the prospective purchaser sitting in the passenger seat on a test drive. Wouldn!!!8217;t they be suspicious if I refused to let them drive? There!!!8217;s absolutely nothing wrong with it but I!!!8217;m trying to look at it from a buyer!!!8217;s point of view.

I may be making mountains out of molehills . . .
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 3rd Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    Tootle is free, so you can still try it, you won't lose a lot, except 15 minutes, to post an ad.

• Morbier
    • By Morbier 3rd Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Morbier
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:06 PM
    Why do my apostrophes keep coming out funny?
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 3rd Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 10,975 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Originally posted by Morbier
    You're probably using an iThing of some kind made by the evil empire.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 3rd Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Morbier
    Yep. Not getting into an argument about that!

In response to Penelopa, the Tootle web site says they don!!!8217;t deal with cars over ten years (mine was ten in April) but I put the details in anyway. It came up with a really ridiculously low price so I shan!!!8217;t bother. Thanks for the idea.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 3rd Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,550 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

In response to Penelopa, the Tootle web site says they don!!!8217;t deal with cars over ten years (mine was ten in April) but I put the details in anyway. It came up with a really ridiculously low price so I shan!!!8217;t bother. Thanks for the idea.
    Rest assured you're unlikely to be turned over for a ten year old mini.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 3rd Jul 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,794 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    chrisw
    It's an issue with IOS11.

In Settings, tap General. Then, tap Keyboards, and toggle Smart Punctuation to off.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 4th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 1,195 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    It's not iOS, I get it on my Windows laptop, the web-designers here are clueless.

Te!!!8217;st

That was copied and pasted from Outlook (ie Windows) so it's an encoding issue, pretty trivial to fix.
    Last edited by scaredofdebt; 04-07-2018 at 9:17 AM. Reason: Well I did get it yesterday!
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date 2,108
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 4th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop

Ok, I wasn't aware of that limitation, my car was 4 years old. Might be useful info for others.

I don't sell cars myself too often, but sold two recently: one to trader via website mentioned and one privately and it was easier than I expected it to be.

• alan_d
    • By alan_d 4th Jul 18, 4:56 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    alan_d
    I sold a car last week.
    It was 14 years old with 258k miles on it. Buyer sat in passenger seat while I drove through a mix of roads. Offered him to drive on return, but he didn't want to, was happy with the car and paid deposit.
    Personally i'd want to drive it, but it, is all legal etc.
    • Morbier
    • By Morbier 4th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Morbier
    Thanks for all your responses.
    To ChrisW: I've turned off Smart Punctuation and it's working OK so far, thanks!
    To ScaredofDebt: glad to hear Windows is still as temperamental as when I left it years ago. Sorry, couldn't resist it!
    To AndyMc: yes, I realise that on the face of it, a ten year old Mini doesn't sound quite the same as a nearly new Fiesta (for example) but it is a Cooper S with all the toys you could ask for and I love it dearly.

As I said before, I'm probably anticipating non-existent problems.

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I've been a lurker on this site for ages and this was a good first-time experience.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,921Posts Today

6,713Users online

Martin's Twitter