Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 3rd Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: My colleague is paid more to do the same job - what should I do?
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: My colleague is paid more to do the same job - what should I do? 3rd Jul 18 at 3:57 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I just discovered my colleague is paid almost 5,000/yr more than me, yet we do exactly the same job and have similar levels of experience. Should I speak up?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 3rd Jul 18, 4:03 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:03 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:03 PM
    This happens all the time and could be for a number of reasons. It's worth a mention in your next 121. You could get lucky!
    • Rubik
    • By Rubik 3rd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Rubik
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    I would suggest you take the approach of why you deserve to be paid the same, and focus on your contributions, skills and work ethic etc, rather than any perceived unfairness in the pay deficit.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    Wouldn't this MMD be more appropriate to the Employment board...?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 3rd Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 11,175 Posts
    • 9,532 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:34 PM
    This so-called "dilemma" frequently crops up on the Employment Board. Speak up if you want but unless there is clearly discrimination (as defined in employment law) the employer does not have to pay the same wage for the same job.
    • cyantist
    • By cyantist 3rd Jul 18, 8:58 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    cyantist
    • 3rd Jul 18, 8:58 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 8:58 PM
    After 5 years in my previous job I got paid more than anyone in my department despite being one of the newest recruits.

We had performance related pay - to go up an increment you had to outperform. I did this 5 years running and no one else had more than 1 year of outperforming during that time so I got a raise of 1500 every year.

There may be a reason they are paid more.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 22,975 Posts
    • 57,596 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    Maybe the colleague was a better negotiator when they got the job.

Who knows.

All you can do is ask for a raise.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    Mote suited for the employment board.
    • kazt2006
    • By kazt2006 4th Jul 18, 6:44 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    kazt2006
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:44 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 6:44 AM
    Yes you have the right to be paid an equal basic salary for the same role or at the very least in the same banding / grade.

You may find that your colleague has a recruitment and rentention allowance. These are at the employers discretion on an individual basis either when employees start a new job or because they found another position and the employer wanted to keep this person. To use this though, you!!!8217;d need a credible alternative.

Or as Cyantist said it could be as a result of PRP.

I once got screwed on the salary for a job - 2 jobs advertised, 1 with salary 3k higher than the other. Found out afterwards we!!!8217;d gone after the same job so they averaged the starting salaries. Hasn!!!8217;t happened since, as now I have clear expectations within the range offered and if an future potential employer doesn!!!8217;t meet that, I walk away!
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 4th Jul 18, 7:11 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    File a court case under Equality Pay Act
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Jul 18, 7:42 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Maybe if the author of this MMD needs to ask advice about this rather than finding out for him/herself and doing something about it - they don't deserve to be paid as much as the other employee...
    Just a thought...
    • joao.matos
    • By joao.matos 4th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    joao.matos
    understand how the company measure your performance. which indicators are analized. see if you meet, exceed or need to improve. if you are improving ask for it if not improve. In general availability, productivity, etc..
    • joehoover
    • By joehoover 4th Jul 18, 9:40 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    joehoover
    Obviously say something, but be ready to prove that you warrant it.
    I work with people who think they are doing this and that to warrant an equal pay when it's not true, they are in the same roles but one does noticeably less but they think they do the same. They just see it as the same role too when they just turn up and do the minimum required. it's not the same, but they honestly don't view it as such.
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 4th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 6,338 Posts
    • 4,627 Thanks
    Reaper
    we do exactly the same job and have similar levels of experience
    What does that matter? Maybe they are better than you! People who have been in the job the same time should not automatically get paid the same, otherwise where is the incentive to work hard?

Unless there is discrimination for other reasons (eg race, sex) the answer is a firm "No".
    • newwiseman
    • By newwiseman 4th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    newwiseman
    By all means have a word with your boss, but be prepared for the possibility that you may hear you are not as highly thought of as you thought. I suggest you should be prepared to look for another job because you will not be happy if you get a negative feedback, whether or not it is justified. You still have to work with the people if you stay. Real life is often not fair.
    • Ianp2000
    • By Ianp2000 4th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Ianp2000
    Don't forget...you are paid just enough to keep you there. They're not interested in "fairness". The worst paid people are usually the ones who are the longest serving. New employees are enticed with pay packages bigger than their previous job.

Even if you don't want to leave, find another job that pays more. Hand your notice in and say you MIGHT be willing to stay if they increased your wages to match.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 4th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2,257 Posts
    • 11,600 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Apply Klingon advancement techniques?
    Womble #7 - Running Total 21.23 $4.28 6.03 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • Primer
    • By Primer 4th Jul 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Primer
    Exactly the same where I work, we were Tuped out to a subcontracting company and 8 months after they took over they created a new grade for new employees and they are paid on average 8 -9k less than us for doing the same job, we also get more holiday and much better sick pay, it's a cause of animosity between staff especially when you have quite a few of the higher paid who are work shy to say the least and think it's funny that they get away with doing little for a lot more.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 6,903 Posts
    • 9,105 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Yes you have the right to be paid an equal basic salary for the same role or at the very least in the same banding / grade.
    Originally posted by kazt2006
    No, you don't. You have a right not to be discriminated against, in relation to pay or other terms. So if the reason that you are paid less than your colleague is because you are disabled, or of a different gender, race or sexual orientation.|

Obviously some organisations, particularly larger ones, may have formal internal rules about pay banding or grades, but it isn't a legal requirement.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 4th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    crmism
    Job
    It's always going to be difficult trying to give helpful advice when only the bare bones of someone's predicament are aired.

For example, are you the same sex as your colleague, are you of similar age, do you work the same hours or does one of you work unsocial hours, do you hold the same qualifications to do the job, do you rate the same in terms of performance appraisals? All of these, or a combination of one or more of them, would be factors affecting total remuneration, ie basic salary and add-ons.

The only person who can advise you properly is your boss, as he/she has all the answers to these questions at his/her finger-tips. It's either that, or you could re-submit your post with more information.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,330Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin