Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thrifty_pete
    • By thrifty_pete 3rd Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 256Posts
    • 53Thanks
    thrifty_pete
    TV budget - base it on the licence fee?
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    TV budget - base it on the licence fee? 3rd Jul 18 at 3:45 PM
    I bought my first telly for 200 way back in 1993 with my paper round money. That telly I kept for 10 years but since then I have only managed to average three years use out of a telly before it became obsolete, got stolen in a burglary, got accidentally destroyed by a child.
    Would a sensible budget be the annual cost of telly licence 150.50 times three years = 452? Or if I squeeze four years, 602 or even five years at 753?
    I know it is an arbitrary way of calculating the cost, but I don't want to go mad life a friend who spent 1,200!
    I suppose it depends on the size I need? My first telly was 14" and the last was 42".
    Last edited by thrifty_pete; 03-07-2018 at 3:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 19,699 Posts
    • 21,091 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    That sounds as mad a way of setting a budget as any.

I would start by deciding what I wanted, cost it, and then work my way down from there if I couldn't afford.

I don't think 1,200 is anywhere close to excessive if you want a half decent set up.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 11,403 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 4:47 PM
    Start with size and browse Richer Sounds see what you get for your money .
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 3rd Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    You!!!8217;ll get a 6 year warranty with RS anyway.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:17 PM
    Stick to 42 unless you watch a lot of films or have a large room.
    • thrifty_pete
    • By thrifty_pete 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    thrifty_pete
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    Yes I do like watching films - is there an online guide as to the best size of screen for a given viewing distance? I have a Ikea Bonde unit with a special TV niche but it was really designed for the old fashioned tellies which were almost as deep as they were wide! So a TV any bigger than 42 wouldn't fit.
    I have plasterboard walls, is it possible to mount a TV on hollow walls? It might be dry-lined and breeze blocks behind.
    • macman
    • By macman 4th Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 42,803 Posts
    • 18,046 Thanks
    macman
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    Unless you want a 65 inch screen, TV's are one item that has got massively cheaper in the last 30 years in real terms. IIRC, when the first colour TV's were released in the mid-70's, they were 400 to 600 to buy outright? Most people rented them, as the tubes were often short-lived and expensive to replace. Anyone remember Radio Rentals?
    I just upgraded from a 32 inch 9 yr old SD Panasonic to a 40 inch 4K Samsung, and it was about 100 cheaper than the original.
    You can generally mount a TV on a partition wall as long as you mount into the studs and not the plasterboard.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 4th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 2,463 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 10:56 PM
    This is what I bought for my Sony Bravia, fits my 42" TV but would take a larger TV.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/wall-shelves/ekby-bj%C3%A4rnum-ekby-j%C3%A4rpen-wall-shelf-oak-aluminium-spr-09894509/

Check the dimensions, it builds to a long length, and note that you will need at least two pairs of hands and need to measure/level correctly. I had a strong young engineer grandson to help and we manged fine. The wall is the chimney breast, so solid brick. With hollow walls, you may need deep hollow fix expanding rawl plugs and long screws.

EDIT: What is the distance from your viewing position, to the TV? We are about 12+ feet (4 Meters) away and the 42" TV is fine for movies.
    Last edited by Robisere; 04-07-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 5th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    Samsungs 49 inch UEMU6400 and 50 inch MU6120 are both around 450. Go to a shop to see these smart TV 4k models displayed. There is no point in spending much more because you won t improve much unless you spend 1000 at least, more on one of the Oled screens made by LG. These new very thin TV s are so light you could mount it on any plasterboard wall.
    Last edited by House Martin; 05-07-2018 at 8:59 AM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    • 33,654 Posts
    • 20,365 Thanks
    getmore4less
    I set the budget by a per week cost for the entertainment value.

A set that comes with a 5/6y warranty entertains two people for the cost of a round of drinks a week 6, gives you up to 1,800 to play with.
    Throw in entertaining some kids and TV is great value
    get a set from a quality retailer like John lewis or Richer sounds with 5y/6y warrany, 2adults + 2 kids 1 per person per week for 5 years and you have 1k to play with,

I have just gone from 42"-55" and it seems about right fo us at around 3m we should be closer for quality UHD material

if moving up to UHD sources you will want a decent TV.
    If going to view HDR you will need to spend 800+.

AT 55" current recommended best buy mid rage LED LCD TV is the Samsung 55MU7000. this is available at around 700

Use that as a benchmark for cheaper TV options.

Get over to AVforums for a comprehensive guide to what's out there.

Now is one of the optimum times to change as the 2017 models are at their cheapest while stock last, 2018 models are mostly more expensive. and it will be black Friday before the better prices kick in.

what do you have now if it has wide bezels you can might fit a 50" in the space.

how big is the space in the unit(length and hight)?
    Last edited by getmore4less; 05-07-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 5th Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    brewerdave
    When I bought my 51" plasma ~ 8 years ago, I was told by an AV expert that we should sit no further than 7ft away to get the best HD experience. However, as far as we are concerned ,we are happy sitting between 9ft and 14 ft away! I suspect that if we had 20/20 vision we might not be as happy!!
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 5th Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,194 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    The advice to sit closer to the TV so you can see the difference your hundreds of pounds bought amused me.

How about sitting where you want to and buying a TV of sufficient size and quality that you can enjoy the programmes without being irritated by any flaws?
    Last edited by A Nice Englishman; 05-07-2018 at 2:08 PM.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 18, 11:34 PM
    • 11,075 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I would avoid the very cheapest TVs, but other than that, anything from one of the "usual suspect" brands, and purchased from John Lewis or Richer Sounds (NOT Currys) will likely be excellent.

I have an LG from RS that is excellent and was good VFM.

I tweaked the picture set-up the other day, and was watching a film today that looked fantastic (even with only 720p source material).
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I tweaked the picture set-up the other day, and was watching a film today that looked fantastic (even with only 720p source material).
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    This part is so, so important and sadly very few people will actually do it. We bought a Sony KDL-50W755C a couple of years back in the sales and at stock settings it looks average at best. Tweak it (I Googled a suitable set-up) and the picture is superb, Netflix especially is brilliant with the close ups on the likes of Gotham being just stunning.

Anyone who doesn't set the TV up correctly is in effect wasting half of what ever they paid.

It does raise the question of just why the stock settings are so bad, I've not come across one that doesn't benefit from being tweaked.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,857 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Stick to 42 unless you watch a lot of films or have a large room.
    Originally posted by AndyPK

To replace a 42 with a set of the same "size" you now need a 50 becuase of the current trend of removing decent speakers and minimising the bezel (though do factor in the cost of getting decent sound too).
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jul 18, 9:10 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    To replace a 42 with a set of the same "size" you now need a 50 becuase of the current trend of removing decent speakers and minimising the bezel (though do factor in the cost of getting decent sound too).
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Sorry but unless you're physically restrained by available space that's nonsense. The lack or otherwise of a bezel makes no difference to the actual viewing.

The inbuilt speakers have usually been an after thought on most TV's for very long time as well so I'd agree that a decent (say 100-150 at least) soundbar is worthwhile.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 9,145 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    When we upgraded to our 42" Panasonic, we were able to have a larger viewing area than before , while taking up about the same space, because the border was much smaller.

We find 42" ample and cannot tell the difference between SD and HD unless the SD broadcast is old. However, we don't have anywhere near perfect eyesight and don't want the set to dominate the room.

We have always paid under 550 and found the sound on Panasonics good enough without extra speakers. However, we fell out of love with Panasonic after the loss of two catchup channels on relatively new sets. (Sorted by using an Amazon stick.)
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 20th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    My old 38 inch Panasonic was the same size as my newer LG 42" TV, due to reduced bevel.
    OP, If you really want big movie experience at home, have a look at projectors and movie screens. A bit impractical for day to day telly, but great for cinema nights. Decent set up for less than 400-500. I have a 2016 Optima HD141 projector and a powered movie screen - gives me a 180" display, and I can show 3d movies - it's awesome.
    TV's that are non 4k are very low price these days, but as others say, work out what you want, then price accordingly. Do you want a smart TV - I have one, and use smart functions often - do you want it wifi connected, do you want to be able to bounce things to it from your smart phone, etc. Last time I bought a new telly I spent a month comparing and contrasting, got it down to a Samsung or LG. Richer Sounds is worth a trip as their staff are very knowledgeable and their prices are reasonable. If you find a model they have that you like, you can always see if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Personally, I'm not bothered for 4k, and can't see it having the impact that HD did.
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,451 Thanks
    takman
    I also don't think 1200 is excessive and i recently bought an LG OLED TV for slightly more than that!. I don't spend as much time as most people watching TV but the picture quality is so far superior to LED that it's worth the money.

Standard LED TV's are backlit so the blacks either get washed out when their is a bright bit on the screen or the bright bit is dimmer than it could be.
    On an OLED TV each pixel is individually lit which means you can get perfect blacks next to bright lights and the picture improvement compared to LED is extraordinary. They can also produce a much larger range of colours compared to cheaper LED TV's.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,201Posts Today

7,673Users online

Martin's Twitter