Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 3rd Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    • 553Posts
    • 93Thanks
    davidscot
    Amazon Echo Alexa - music
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:44 PM
    Amazon Echo Alexa - music 3rd Jul 18 at 12:44 PM
    Hopefully posted in the correct forum and someone can help.
    We received an Amazon Echo as a present and I think I managed to set it up properly bearing in mind I am way over 25. Anyway I was wanting this Echo to play music but it looks like I need to pay a monthly subscription to get access to any tunes available. Is this correct or are there ways I can get music playing on this for free.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,755 Posts
    • 4,748 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    I don't know for sure but ... I think the Echo is pretty locked down on the music front. Spotify free doesn't work (so I'm told), and whilst Amazon Prime Music works fine the songs collection is quite limited - if you want the latest tracks from popular artists you need to subscribe to Amazon Music.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 3rd Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    davidscot
    • 3rd Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 1:36 PM
    I don't know for sure but ... I think the Echo is pretty locked down on the music front. Spotify free doesn't work (so I'm told), and whilst Amazon Prime Music works fine the songs collection is quite limited - if you want the latest tracks from popular artists you need to subscribe to Amazon Music.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Yes I did think that after doing a bit searching online, oh well it might turn out to be an expensive radio
    • safsnowball
    • By safsnowball 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    safsnowball
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    Only 3.99 a month for a single device Amazon music subscription, cheap as chips
    • safsnowball
    • By safsnowball 3rd Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    safsnowball
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    See here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?ie=UTF8&node=11368385031
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 4th Jul 18, 1:30 AM
    • 2,491 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:30 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 1:30 AM
    Only 3.99 a month for a single device Amazon music subscription, cheap as chips
    Originally posted by safsnowball
    That is a good option plus there's a four month 99p trial as well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/dmusic/promotions/AmazonMusicUnlimited

I use Spotify premium as I get it free with my mobile phone which works across a variety of devices but not that great for only a single Echo device.

Amazon did previously allow you to upload 250 tracks to their service which you could play through the Echo but they've now removed the feature I believe.
    • d0nna
    • By d0nna 4th Jul 18, 7:16 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    d0nna
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:16 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 7:16 AM
    You can play quite a lot of radio stations but obviously there are adverts and you can't choose what songs are played. It's an option if you don't want to pay for listening to music though.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 4th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    I don!!!8217;t know which version of the Echo you have but if it!!!8217;s the second generation one that retails for 89.99 on Amazon then the comparison table seems to suggest you are able to stream music over Bluetooth or use a Line In connection?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 4th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:59 AM
    My Amazon Dot works well playing Tunein Radio, or any of the BBC radio channels. It also will play tracks from Spotify, but that is using a subscription account. It will NOT play anything on iTunes, or Google Play Music. It's a well-known issue and unlikely to change, I fear - different digital ecosystems.... Apple, Amazon, Google .... Stay within one ecosystem and all is well, but mix & match doesn't play nice...
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 4th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    davidscot
    I don!!!8217;t know which version of the Echo you have but if it!!!8217;s the second generation one that retails for 89.99 on Amazon then the comparison table seems to suggest you are able to stream music over Bluetooth or use a Line In connection?
    Originally posted by 20aday
    Yes its a second generation Echo, only thing is not sure how to stream using the options you give. I think I may join the Amazon music for 3.99 a month as you get a 30 day free trial and if its not for me then I can just leave
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 12th Jul 18, 10:28 AM
    • 38,060 Posts
    • 261,510 Thanks
    mjm3346
    The Echo will also play these, you can choose artist/song/album or just "alexa play my music" for a random selection (I have 100's of albums available)

(full article is toward the bottom of the live deals)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/amazon?

Buy CDs or vinyl from Amazon and its Autorip service* lets you stream or download the MP3 version for free, yet this can also apply to music you've bought from Amazon at any time since 1999.

You can potentially recover 17 years of forgotten music - from CDs you've lost, damaged or thrown away, and MP3s you downloaded that have since been wiped from your electronic devices.
    Last edited by mjm3346; 12-07-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    Internet goodness 25263
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 12th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 955 Thanks
    20aday
    Yes its a second generation Echo, only thing is not sure how to stream using the options you give. I think I may join the Amazon music for 3.99 a month as you get a 30 day free trial and if its not for me then I can just leave
    Originally posted by davidscot
    I dont have one myself so unsure to how it would work but Id assume youd go to the Bluetooth settings on the Echo and your device and pair it that way.

I guess youd then go onto your music app and choose the Echo from there.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • davidscot
    • By davidscot 13th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    davidscot
    The Echo will also play these, you can choose artist/song/album or just "alexa play my music" for a random selection (I have 100's of albums available)

(full article is toward the bottom of the live deals)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/amazon?
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    Unfortunately I do not have any music on Amazon but thanks for the tip anyway
    • Summer17
    • By Summer17 13th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Summer17
    I use spotify 15 a month but you can add up to 5 accounts. So i gave my details to others and they pay me 3 quid each a month
    It does more than play music.
    It sings rymthes to my little daughter.
    Play the animial game with alexia.
    Tell alexia to add stuff to my shopping list. When i get to tesco i get alexia apps out and there my list.
    Set the alarm eg ask her to set timer for 60 min. Thou make you jump when it goes off.
    Every morning it tell my wife good morning make hubby a coffee & don't forget to take your pills.
    It the best bit of kit i ever got.
    Gonna get a HIVE soon so i can tell her to turn heating up or down.
    Comes in very handy at BBQ parties and best of all solves all arguments unless it something you done wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,897Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter