Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 3rd Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 349Posts
    • 529Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    Tipping removal guys
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    Tipping removal guys 3rd Jul 18 at 11:45 AM
    Quick question please:
    3 removal men, 2 pleasant & friendly, one miserable
    g*t! :
    Moving over 100 miles. I do want to tip as it's the right thing to do, but how much, and would you give it as one sum to share between them, or individually?
Page 2
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 3rd Jul 18, 4:23 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    "So why don't you do the conveyancing yourself to save some money?"

I have done exactly that several times in the past, and would gladly do so again but these days 'the other sides' solicitors' tend to be more obstructive than they once were and refuse to work with anyone without official qualifications, which makes it not worth the hassle.

As for restaurants, I'm hardly the only one who tips; it's pretty universal when you've had good
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 3rd Jul 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Margot123
    If it's a one-man band type operation with a few helpers, then I would give them a few quid (5-10 each even the miserable beggar!).

Other than that, I'm sure they'd appreciate regular hot/cold drinks, biscuits and sarnies.
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Jul 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 3,279 Thanks
    takman
    "So why don't you do the conveyancing yourself to save some money?"

I have done exactly that several times in the past, and would gladly do so again but these days 'the other sides' solicitors' tend to be more obstructive than they once were and refuse to work with anyone without official qualifications, which makes it not worth the hassle.

As for restaurants, I'm hardly the only one who tips; it's pretty universal when you've had good
    Originally posted by victoriavictorious
    I wouldn't say tipping is universal at all but i know it's a very common thing to do. Personally i don't see the logic in tipping in a restaurant so i don't do it, just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean you have too as well.

I bet when you last did your own conveyancing it was "pretty much universal" that people hired a solicitors firm or similar to do it. But you chose not to do what everyone did and do it yourself to save money. So why not use the same logic with tipping in a restaurant.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 4th Jul 18, 7:40 AM
    • 387 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Surely the best tip is to remind them to lift with their legs not their backs???
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021 17296
    • ashe
    • By ashe 4th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 548 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ashe
    We provided hot drinks and a few packets of biscuits. For the rest of the service they provided, they were well paid.

When you talk of physical work, what about bar men and women who need to lug casks around and change taps regularly? In America they are generally tipped a dollar a drink, on the UK we do not seem to bother yet tip servers. Yet we do not tip some servers if we deem their job easy, for example McD, but if we get asked if we would like to buy more food and drinks this becomes worth 10% of the price or so?

We just had a dishwasher delivered yesterday and it was sweltering - would you tip them? Their role is largely physical and hard work in this heat.

Must admit I find tipping culture in England very strange unless someone truly has gone the extra mile. Otherwise there seems to be very loose logic applied to who gets a tip and who just gets stuck with their pay.
    Last edited by ashe; 04-07-2018 at 9:06 AM.
    • pkmid
    • By pkmid 4th Jul 18, 9:06 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    pkmid
    If you think they've done a good job then I'd definitely tip. Why are people so stingy about a tenner or so?
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 4th Jul 18, 9:15 AM
    • 12,932 Posts
    • 18,591 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    I gave 3 removal men 20 each when I moved on home. They had to contend with on-street parking at both ends of the move and I was moving from one flat to another so they had to schelp my belongings upstairs on one of the hottest days of the year. They were also very nice.

I prefer giving cash than a 24 pack of beer. The recipient can spend cash on whatever they like whereas not everyone likes to drink alcohol or can drink alcohol or should drink alcohol, and those who can might not like beer/lager.

But we hae beer and we can drink,
    Sae let the Lord be Thankit!
    • RubyHouse
    • By RubyHouse 4th Jul 18, 9:17 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    RubyHouse
    I would definitley tip if you felt they did a good job. People have mixed feelings about tipping in this country and feel people are already paid for the job they do.
    I think its always nice to give a tip for a manual job - I always tip at the car wash, thats a crappy job even if you do get paid minimum wage (which I doubt they do)
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 4th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 1,533 Thanks
    jimbo747
    Never understood why people should be tipped for just doing their job, just seems bizarre. I'm with Steve Buscemi in reservoir dogs.

If they moan that theyre on min wage, well perhaps they should have paid attention at school or gone to uni, start their own business, learnt a skill.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 4th Jul 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,535 Posts
    • 3,804 Thanks
    cjdavies
    If you think they've done a good job then I'd definitely tip. Why are people so stingy about a tenner or so?
    Originally posted by pkmid
    Website name
    • Jane_B
    • By Jane_B 4th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Jane_B
    I tend to tip if they go above and beyond, or are super friendly (I'm weak) in the past we have done about 10 a head. One move was very complicated, took 4 days in hot weather, they packed up the house and tackled a lot of stairs etc. we obviously did the normal tea, biscuits, dinner on some nights since they stated late (takeaways etc.) but ended up giving them 25 each tip for that one.
    • datlex
    • By datlex 4th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    datlex
    I won't be tipping the removal men next week. I am paying for their service. I don't see why some jobs expect tips. I don't get one for mine. Also when was the last time you tipped a bus driver or train driver!
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 4th Jul 18, 11:50 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dunroving
    I just tipped 100 on a removal from Scotland to the Midlands. 3 men loaded in Scotland, two drive down and unloaded. Excellent job, two minor breakages (plant pots), and added an hour to dismantle and reassemble a huge wardrobe that would never have made it upstairs otherwise. Bacon butties and coffee on demand too.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • kiddy guy
    • By kiddy guy 5th Jul 18, 8:12 AM
    • 939 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    kiddy guy
    2 hour drive to the Midlands? Who Knew Scotland was so close !!!55358;!!!56611;!!!55358;!!!56611;!!!55358;!!!56 611;!!!55358;!!!56611;
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 5th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dunroving
    Two PEOPLE drove down to the Midlands.
    (Nearly) dunroving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,878Posts Today

6,727Users online

Martin's Twitter