Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 3rd Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 4Thanks
    kylemattewn
    0 WOW
    Please help - flight booked but cannot go on holiday
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    0 WOW
    Please help - flight booked but cannot go on holiday 3rd Jul 18 at 11:01 AM
    Hi

I have booked flights from Manchester to Mykonos for 11days but I can no longer go on the holiday. Itís booked with easyJet. We cannot get a refund on the flights which were £216 each.

I have put the flights on travel transfer.com and discounted them in price but still no interest.

I really need the money back - is there anything else I can do you try get my flight money back? Help would be very much appreciate.

Thank you
Page 2
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 3rd Jul 18, 6:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    I understand easyJet have done nothing wrong.

I always book my flight then my hotel or hostel or Airbnb after my initial flight book as thatís the first part of the trip.

I go away 4/5 times each year having already been to Morocco and Croatia this year. And last year I went to Poland, Malta, Ibiza, LA - San Fran road trip and Naples. All of which was flight and hotel or hostel booked sepetatly.

I have checked booking.com
    Airbnb
    Hostel world
    Hostels
    And everything jn between and to stay in the island of Mykonos it is coming in 1k each which we cannot afford.

I planned on staying in a hostel at Ä36 per night coming in at Ä366 odd each for the 11 days but the day after booking my flight when we went to book the hostel it was fully booked.

As I said I have been on holiday now 4/5 times each year since 2014 and never have I had an issue with finding an affordable accom for my holidays and Iíve been to America 4 times in 4 years on a shoestring budget

Thanks for all your replies so far guys. I really appreicate it
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 18,758 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    richardw
    On Andros http://www.lemontreeandros.com

Ferries to Andros www.aferry.co.uk
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 3rd Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Hi Richard

I am travelling on Saturday 28th July - August 8th. Departing from Manchester - Mykonos at 10am and arrive at 12pm Mykonos time.

Then coming home the flight is on Wednesday 8th August at 10pm - arriving at 12.05am Thursday 9th August.

Thank you for all your replies today.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what website we can use to try sell the flights.

Thanks for the recommendation for the camping. Iím currently looking into it now.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 18,758 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    richardw
    There is no point trying to sell the flights because the name change fees and difference in fare are too high.

The nearest neighbouring islands are Andros, Syros and Tinos.
    Use the www.aferry.co.uk website to get the ferry times and then book direct.

Use hostelworld website to find accommodation and then book direct.
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 3rd Jul 18, 8:06 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Sorry there seemed to be some delay in my messages coming through on here.

Thank you Richard. That hostel looks lovely! Really picturesque! Iím really considering going for it now and island hoping!

Thank you!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 18,758 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    richardw
    Some reviews https://www.booking.com/hotel/gr/lemon-tree-batsion.en-gb.html
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 3rd Jul 18, 10:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Richard I canít thank you enough as due to your incredible expertise at hostel findings and travel I now think weíre going to thr surroundings islands of Mykonos and staying in Mykonos for a few nights throughout our time there! Thank you so much!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 3rd Jul 18, 10:31 PM
    • 18,758 Posts
    • 7,871 Thanks
    richardw
    Great. Mykonos is expensive, the 5 Euro coffee is common, so get food and drink from the supermarket and do a packed lunch if you go for a full day out. If you are in the town in the evening the Gyros fast food places can be good. Sunset by the windmills can be great. Buses to the beaches get very busy, getting up early gets you ahead of the crowd. There are little boats that also take you to the beaches mainly from Ornos. The Shirley Valentine location is near the Hippie Fish restaurant.
    Last edited by richardw; 03-07-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 4th Jul 18, 6:20 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Thanks for the tips and advice! I think the plan is to spend 3 days in Tinos then return for Mykonos for 2/3 days then go to Tinos for 3 days then back to Mykonos and that way island hop and not have the cost being so expensive just in Mykonos!

I would love to go see the windmills and days at the beach etc. Thanks again for your tips and advice itís so welcomed!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 20,660 Posts
    • 55,522 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Hi Richard

I am travelling on Saturday 28th July - August 8th. Departing from Manchester - Mykonos at 10am and arrive at 12pm Mykonos time.
    Originally posted by kylemattewn
    Glad you've got it sorted, you've had some great advice.

But - don't expect to land in Mykonos at midday if your flight departs MAN at 10am.
    Check your flight times.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 5,169 Posts
    • 3,730 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Glad you got it sorted
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Jul 18, 1:31 PM
    • 14,756 Posts
    • 19,962 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    My first thought was camping too. It's what I would do.

Somehow, I don't think the OP shares my enthusiasm.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 5th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    michele-p
    Your new plan sounds a great adventure! Really glad you got it sorted, would have been awful for those flights to be wasted. Enjoy your island hopping.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 5th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    AlexMac
    How about going anyway then going by ferry to a cheaper neighbouring island- there are lots within an hour or two of Mykonos, which is popular and pricey as it's so well known. Google greek ferries or look at advice on Tripadvisor

We never even used to book rooms, as we'd just island-hop; always fell on our feet; never had to sleep on the beach once! Locals would even meet ferries so you could haggle the room price down
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 6th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

All hostels booked in neighbouring islands and a few nights in Mykonos too.

Thank you all so much for the great tips and advice!
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 6th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 14,756 Posts
    • 19,962 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Thanks everyone for the advice!

All hostels booked in neighbouring islands and a few nights in Mykonos too.

Thank you all so much for the great tips and advice!
    Originally posted by kylemattewn
    Glad you got it sorted. Have fun!
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • kylemattewn
    • By kylemattewn 6th Jul 18, 8:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    kylemattewn
    Even now booked a few nights in Santorini too as there hostels were so cheap and look lovely!

Thanks again for helping me salvage me holiday guys. I really really appreciate it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

4,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin