Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 3rd Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 565Posts
    • 1,299Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    Sat Nav or Phone?
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    Sat Nav or Phone? 3rd Jul 18 at 10:55 AM
    What are people using these days?

My TomTom has died in the heat and interestingly I had to use my android phone yesterday and Google maps. Which saved me 50 minutes by giving me an option to avoid a car on fire on the Edinburgh ringroad. Which I thought was brilliant, but obviously relies on data.

My problem is, do I want my phone cluttered up with Google Maps when driving?

What is the best option? I think I would prefer a standalone option unless you guys can persuade me otherwise?
Page 3
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 6th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    Arklight
    Going a bit against the flow here. I don't drive for a living, and I rarely need to be anywhere in the fastest possible time. I commute to work along a well-known route, and any other mileage is generally not under pressure of time. So I prioritise ease of use above shaving seconds off a route.

Having said that, I am old-school enough to prefer a separate device. I have used a phone to navigate when I needed directions quickly, and it was OK. But for regular use I much prefer my TomTom. It's clever, consistent and very user-friendly.

Even a phone is better than the built-in satnavs I have used (Skoda and Mercedes). Both seemed clumsy to use, have some serious inaccuracies in the mapping and, worst of all, the screen is buried somewhere by your left knee.

I know I am being left behind by technology here, but it's my preference.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    I don't think blindly (metaphorically) going where Google tells you to is necessarily being left behind.

As I've stated before, I have used Tomtom, Google maps and Garmin extensively when driving in the US and UK and there is nothing especially stand out about Google maps that you can't get by bothering to update your Sat-Nav once in a while.

I might be slightly more biased against Google because having to arrange a roaming data connection overseas requires some arrangement and cost.

Google maps is also useless when you are out of a cell service area. Which is a good enough reason not to rely on it.

Google don't provide a free maps service because they want you to be able to find your way around, they do so because they want to accumulate personal profile data they can sell on to advertisers.

This is predominantly why the offline functionality of Google maps is so poor, they aren't interested in it.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 3,424 Thanks
    takman
    Going a bit against the flow here. I don't drive for a living, and I rarely need to be anywhere in the fastest possible time. I commute to work along a well-known route, and any other mileage is generally not under pressure of time. So I prioritise ease of use above shaving seconds off a route.

Having said that, I am old-school enough to prefer a separate device. I have used a phone to navigate when I needed directions quickly, and it was OK. But for regular use I much prefer my TomTom. It's clever, consistent and very user-friendly.

Even a phone is better than the built-in satnavs I have used (Skoda and Mercedes). Both seemed clumsy to use, have some serious inaccuracies in the mapping and, worst of all, the screen is buried somewhere by your left knee.

I know I am being left behind by technology here, but it's my preference.
    Originally posted by Richard53
    If your not concerned about potential traffic or how long it takes to get there then i find the best way is to look at the route online before you go. You then don't need a Sat Nav at all and know exactly where you need to go. This is what i prefer to do as and only use Google Maps on my phone if it's somewhere difficult to find or if i'm expecting traffic and need to get there quick.

The BIG difference is between the size of the phone screen and the size of the SatNav screen. We zoomed in to make it easier for me to see the map on the phone, but still quite hard to read. Brightness: maybe we needed to adjust that too, didn't think of that.

And THEN we found that it didn't seem to be updating so well: with the SatNav the arrow that was our position stayed in the middle of the screen, but with the phone we seemed to 'lose' our position quickly.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    It does depend on what phone you have. I have the Galaxy S7 edge which has a 5.5" screen which is bigger than a typical Sat Nav screen and it's not the biggest phone you can get.

If you have a small phone with a poor GPS then i agree it would not be very good. But if your buying a phone and a GPS then you could combine the money you would spend on both and get a very decent phone with money left over.
    • takman
    • By takman 6th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 3,424 Thanks
    takman
    I might be slightly more biased against Google because having to arrange a roaming data connection overseas requires some arrangement and cost.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    What countries are you visiting and what network are you on?. I have a contract with Three and there are a lot of countries where you can use your phone at no extra cost including data, this includes the US and the EU.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 6th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    Arklight
    What countries are you visiting and what network are you on?. I have a contract with Three and there are a lot of countries where you can use your phone at no extra cost including data, this includes the US and the EU.
    Originally posted by takman
    Unfortunately we aren't on 3 at work. The Vodafone international roaming package IT have chosen (and refuse to change) is almost comically unsuitable for international roaming. Something like 5 for every 3MB of data.

I usually buy a US Sim card with data and use that. Phone plans in the US are extortionate compared to what we are used to, but it's $100 for data for a month rather than explaining a 2k+ phone bill.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 6th Jul 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 5,251 Thanks
    robatwork
    Takman - shhhhh!

The more that are happy with TomTom/Garmin the merrier.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 39,141 Posts
    • 36,028 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Sue are you using the maps app or viewing in a browser window? I found Google maps laggy and sporadic when viewing in a browser but pretty good when using the dedicated app. Traffic info does have annoying tendency to occasionally disappear completely though. Usually when I need it most.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    I think it was the maps app, but I left it to DH to play around.

Check if your car's infotainment system supports Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. If it does then you can integrate Google maps (for example) into the same screen as where the car's satnav resides. The benefits?

Bigger screen (than the phone)
    Familiar location (for satnav)
    Phone is plugged in and charging

Originally posted by DoaM
    I'll get DH to take a look because that's all above my paygrade ... It would never have occurred to me to call the radio and CD player behind the SatNav an 'infotainment system'.

If you have a small phone with a poor GPS then i agree it would not be very good. But if your buying a phone and a GPS then you could combine the money you would spend on both and get a very decent phone with money left over.
    Originally posted by takman
    that's why I'm letting DH play: his phone is better than mine, which regularly seizes up and runs out of space even though I am not a heavy App user. I need to buy a new one, but I MUST have a small one: if it doesn't fit in my pocket, it's no use at all.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 7th Jul 18, 12:47 AM
    • 2,763 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Richard53
    It would never have occurred to me to call the radio and CD player behind the SatNav an 'infotainment system'.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Nor would it to any normal human being. It's a ghastly word for a silly concept.

My wife's Skoda has an infotainment system. It is so self-important that if you want to drive without the radio or satnav on, you have to endure a display in front of you that says "THE INFOTAINMENT SYSTEM IS SWITCHED OFF!" as if you didn't know and needed telling.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Svein Forkbeard
    • By Svein Forkbeard 7th Jul 18, 8:32 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 1,299 Thanks
    Svein Forkbeard
    Thank you all for the replies as with most things ion life their are a number of ways to skin a cat.

I'm starting to think Google maps is the way forward mores so because of the expense of a decent all singing Sat Nav these days.

I have been looking for a PAYG Data only sim, appears to be a bit like hens teeth. Any one know of any?
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 7th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    I have been looking for a PAYG Data only sim, appears to be a bit like hens teeth. Any one know of any?
    Originally posted by Svein Forkbeard

There ain't no such thing as a data only SIM, as far as I know. You can get data only plans, but the SIM will still allow text and voice and you get billed for those.

If you want data on PAYG, O2 and Three are a penny per MegaByte. Everyone else seems to charge vastly more for off plan data.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

52Posts Today

2,635Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin