Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 3rd Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 2,942Posts
    • 57,767Thanks
    scottishminnie
    Dental arrangements Scotland - is this normal
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    Dental arrangements Scotland - is this normal 3rd Jul 18 at 10:14 AM
    I have been with the same dentist for 26 years, no real issues and no reason to move so have nothing to compare so hopefully some MSE people may be able to share their views on the situation.

My dentist (one man practice) has advised he is retiring. I'm an NHS patient (Scotland) - as are all his patients. He has made arrangements with several local dentists to allow patients to transfer to them if they wish. I appreciate that is good as many dentists in the area refuse to take NHS patients.

From the three dentists on offer, only one is really viable for me (location and opening hours). I've researched the dentist in question and whilst I can join their practice and operate on a "pay as you go" basis they have advised me that I will not have access to any type of "emergency" appointments and that any treatments will need to be booked at least 4 weeks in advance. They do offer a dental plan (starting at 26) per month whereby I would be eligible for emergency appointments if required. The dental plan also offers a 10% discount on treatments although I'm not sure how this can work with NHS patients (and the receptionist was less than forthcoming).

My question is - is this pretty normal ? I've perhaps been sheltered from what is normal by using the same person for all these years and just don't realise how the world has changed.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
Page 1
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 3rd Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 8,945 Posts
    • 10,667 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    The dental plan would be a private option. You can't sign NHS patients onto a private scheme, and you can't 'discount' NHS fees - they are set by Government, like prescription charges.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 3rd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 57,767 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    Thanks. I guess I will have to give up being an NHS patient and sign up to the private plan. I feel the prospect of not having access to emergency appointments is too much of a risk given my past experiences.

I have contacted 8 other dentists locally however none will take NHS patients so seems like my choice is very limited anyway.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 3rd Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,238 Posts
    • 3,902 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:38 PM
    https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/nhs-services/dental/dental-emergencies
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 3rd Jul 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 57,767 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:47 PM

When I questioned the "no emergency appointments for NHS patients" I was told that the local hospital dental unit would be my option. According to the person at the practice they do not have to accomodate emergencies if they are fully booked. To be honest I get the feeling this practice doesn't want anyone unless they are a private patient - im not sure why they initially offered to take on those from the retiring dentist.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • Saffythecat
    • By Saffythecat 3rd Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Saffythecat
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:30 PM
    I!!!8217;m in Scotland and have been with the same practice since I was a child as an NHS patient. They used to be a small surgery operated by two partners, and were then bought over by a chain when both retired - it!!!8217;s now probably about 70/30 private/NHS, and they do implants and treatments like Botox as well as what I would class as normal care. Each dentist has two emergency slots each day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, which can only be booked if you ring at 8.30am. Out of hours emergency care is shared between a few surgeries in the area. I have had a nightmare year with my teeth and have accessed same day emergency treatment a number of times. I actually have been seen by another dentist if mine wasn!!!8217;t available. I appreciate I am very lucky, but what you describe doesn!!!8217;t correspond with my experience, or with my partner!!!8217;s as an NHS patient at a different surgery.
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 5th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 57,767 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    Thanks Saffy. I've decided I'm simply not comfortable moving to the suggested dentist so I'll just have to cast my net a bit wider in terms of distance to find one who provides what I need.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 8,524 Posts
    • 9,658 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 10:37 AM
    Ask the dentist who is taking over your NHS list? and register with them as an NHS patient.

If there's no satisfactory answer to the above contact the Primary Care Team at the local Health Board who should refer you to a dentist currently accepting NHS patients.

Information on practices accepting NHS patients is also online at eg
    https://www.nhsinform.scot/national-service-directory/dental-services
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,714Posts Today

5,937Users online

Martin's Twitter