Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 2nd Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 3,114Posts
    • 5,220Thanks
    cazziebo
    0 WOW
    Hotel couldn't provide room - now saying won't refund!
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    0 WOW
    Hotel couldn't provide room - now saying won't refund! 2nd Jul 18 at 10:32 PM
    We booked a hotel for two nights to attend a festival. We booked through hotels.com. 355 for two nights - pricy but a treat after a difficult few months.

Arrived at hotel at 2pm, check-in time, to be told computer system was down and we couldn't check in but they'll take our bags and we can check in later. We get back to the hotel at 11pm to find still have IT issues and can't check in.

3am we're still waiting on a room and we're tired and just want to go to bed. I go to reception and ask if we can get a refund and just get a taxi home. Home is 40 miles away. (Can't drive as we'd had a drink). Assured we would get a refund next day; no problem that's it's a third party booking system. Go back next day to collect car. Told we can't get a refund because it's Sunday and they can't get in touch with hotels.com but will definitely get refund on Monday.

I complained to Hotels.com today who tell me that the hotel have not approved the refund request.

What do I do next?
Page 1
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 2nd Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    Request a chargeback from your card issuer.
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 2nd Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    cazziebo
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    Apparently can't do that as it's a third party booking?

(thank you for responding so quickly)
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 2nd Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    Yes you can. Be persistent and if they still refuse make a formal complaint.

That would be true for a Section 75 claim but not for chargeback.
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 2nd Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    cazziebo
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    thanks, I'll try that.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Westin
    • 3rd Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 7:31 AM
    I think the hotel is giving you and hotel.com the run around.

Even if IT systems fail with hotel checkin systems, they should have a back up system and manual process to fall back on. If the hotel had vacant rooms they should have adapted a manual check in and given you a room, certainly at 11pm. To keep you waiting until 3am is ridiculous and I admire your patience. I wonder if they were overbooked and just did not have the courage to admit it.

A refund definately due. I would ask hotel.com to follow through and make sure they are aware of the horrid experience you had at that hotel.

A credit card dispute is of course possible but I suspect hotel.com can sort out and credit your account a lot quicker once they speak to the hotel themselves.

Hope you leave a factual account of your experience on Trip Advisor.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    Definitely do a chargeback. That is shocking they just didn't refund you as they didn't provide what you bought.

I would leave a review as the previous poster said to make others aware
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 3rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    Bloody computers, people can't seem to think for themselves when they go down.......But I agree probably overbooked
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 4th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    cazziebo
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    What they said was because they had no access to the booking system, they couldn't tell which rooms were occupied, clean or empty. They couldn't even tell how many room keys were out so even manual checking wouldn't tell whether a guest was just out and had no luggage in the room.

I don't think they had overbooked - there were about 50 guests without rooms including BA flight crew and I imagine that's a lucrative contract they wouldn't jeopardise.

Anyway- all's well that ends well. I contacted the hotel who told me emphatically that hotels.com hadn't been in touch and they (Crowne Plaza) would authorise immediately.

I emailed hotels.com again who responded saying they would pay.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 4th Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    Westin
    !!!8220;What they said was because they had no access to the booking system, they couldn't tell which rooms were occupied, clean or empty. They couldn't even tell how many room keys were out so even manual checking wouldn't tell whether a guest was just out and had no luggage in the room. !!!8221;

Interesting. I wonder what they would tell the fire service had there been a fire at the hotel that necessitated an evacuation.
    • cazziebo
    • By cazziebo 4th Jul 18, 6:28 PM
    • 3,114 Posts
    • 5,220 Thanks
    cazziebo
    !!!8220;What they said was because they had no access to the booking system, they couldn't tell which rooms were occupied, clean or empty. They couldn't even tell how many room keys were out so even manual checking wouldn't tell whether a guest was just out and had no luggage in the room. !!!8221;

Interesting. I wonder what they would tell the fire service had there been a fire at the hotel that necessitated an evacuation.
    Originally posted by Westin
    Exactly - that thought crossed our minds too! Surely there should have been some sort of back up? 4 star hotel- not a wee B&B!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,120Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter