Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 2nd Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 16Thanks
    venomx
    Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl
    • 2nd Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl 2nd Jul 18 at 1:32 PM
    So Aldi accept payments larger than £30 with Apple Pay.

Are Asda and Lidl the same, or is there a limit ?

Thanks
Page 4
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jul 18, 8:24 PM
    • 33,650 Posts
    • 28,570 Thanks
    custardy
    If it the first time using in a shop he will ask the cashier 'Do you take Applepay?' Often the reply is" I don't know. Try and see."

If he knows it is accepted he just produces his phone.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Why would you say Apple Pay? At most I would ask if they have contactless
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    venomx
    Originally posted by custardy
    Because contactless is £30 and under, wheras Apple Pay is unlimited ?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 12th Jul 18, 2:52 AM
    • 33,650 Posts
    • 28,570 Thanks
    custardy
    Originally posted by venomx
    Well just say you will pay with your phone. Im unsubscribing now as this is a basic day to day task.
    • takman
    • By takman 12th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    takman
    venomx - Have you never paid for anything by card before?

It's pretty simple; all you need to do is say you want to pay by card so the cashier activates the card machine. You can then put a card in, use a card with contactless or use your phone.

There is no need to go into details about what device you to use or how much the limit is, it will either work or it won't.

Also recently I've noticed almost all of these threads with these types of questions mention Apple Pay and very rarely mention Google Pay. I wonder if that means people with Android phones have more common sense :P
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    sheramber
    Originally posted by custardy
    Not all shops have the Apple Pay facility
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 12th Jul 18, 11:50 AM
    • 2,227 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    20aday
    Not all shops have the Apple Pay facility
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Apple, Google and Samsung Pay can be used anywhere that has contactless facilities; itís just the some places are capped at the standard limit of £30 for whatever reason.

If in doubt itís just easier to present your piece of plastic
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 12th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    But as I have already stated exhaustively in this thread, Apple Pay is contactless! If you don't believe that have a look at your receipt when you pay with Apple Pay! Therefore it does not make sense to say that contactless has a £30 limit but Apple Pay is unlimited!
    • venomx
    • By venomx 13th Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    venomx
    But as I have already stated exhaustively in this thread, Apple Pay is contactless! If you don't believe that have a look at your receipt when you pay with Apple Pay! Therefore it does not make sense to say that contactless has a £30 limit but Apple Pay is unlimited!
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Fair enough im new so have a few questions
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    sheramber
    It is up to the merchant as to what the limit they put on Apple Pay . Tesco is still limited to £30. That is Tesco'S choice
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    takman
    If you want to be technically correct then you can say Passive RFID Contactless Pahments have a limit of £30 and NFC Contactless Payments are only limited by the retailer.
    But this doesn't really help because not many people will know the technology behind them and shop staff won't be trained in this either.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 14th Jul 18, 7:09 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    venomx
    Been to Lidl this morning, they accept Apple Pay over £30
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    If you want to be technically correct then you can say Passive RFID Contactless Pahments have a limit of £30 and NFC Contactless Payments are only limited by the retailer.
    But this doesn't really help because not many people will know the technology behind them and shop staff won't be trained in this either.
    Originally posted by takman
    Or we can say that the contactless upper limit is £30 and if Apple Pay being contactless allows more than that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless safeguard. That's exactly what I've said in previous posts in this thread.

In the event of fraud I wonder whether the bank will limit contactless compensation to £30 and whether in that case the retailer which allowed the greater amount will compensate the difference?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 15th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,618 Thanks
    sheramber
    Been to Lidl this morning, they accept Apple Pay over £30
    We regularly use it for over £30.

This week the assistant was adamant that it would not work over £30
    While she argued with my husband pointed out that it had already gone through.
    • takman
    • By takman 15th Jul 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    takman
    Or we can say that the contactless upper limit is £30 and if Apple Pay being contactless allows more than that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless safeguard. That's exactly what I've said in previous posts in this thread.

In the event of fraud I wonder whether the bank will limit contactless compensation to £30 and whether in that case the retailer which allowed the greater amount will compensate the difference?
    I replied to this previously:

The £30 for contactless on cards is to prevent the bank having to pay out for fraud; it isn't for the consumers benefit because banks will refund any contactless payments reported as fraudulent without question.

Apple Pay (and similar) doesn't "circumvent" the limit it simply has a different limit because it operates in a different way (security wise).
    On my phone i have to unlock it (with my fingerprint) to make a contactless payment of ANY amount. This means it is more secure than even chip and pin because no matter what methods they use they can not make a record of my fingerprint (while making a payment) to fraudulently make payments using my phone.
    Compared to chip and pin where it's possible to see someones pin, steal their card and use it.
    I really don't understand why you seem to think it's "circumventing safeguards". The Passive RFID Contactless "safeguard" is a £30 limit,
    NFC Contactless safeguard is a fingerprint/password/pin on the phone and the Chip and Pin Safeguard is a 4 digit pin.

If you have a problem with Apple Pay/Google Pay etc then you must also have a problem with Chip and Pin because the pin is arguably less secure than a payment on a phone.

You seem to have some illogical dislike of mobile device payments and you justify this with some wooly explanation about "Circumventing Safeguards".
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 15th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I replied to this previously:

I really don't understand why you seem to think it's "circumventing safeguards". The Passive RFID Contactless "safeguard" is a £30 limit,
    NFC Contactless safeguard is a fingerprint/password/pin on the phone and the Chip and Pin Safeguard is a 4 digit pin.

If you have a problem with Apple Pay/Google Pay etc then you must also have a problem with Chip and Pin because the pin is arguably less secure than a payment on a phone.

You seem to have some illogical dislike of mobile device payments and you justify this with some wooly explanation about "Circumventing Safeguards".
    Except that when we use Apple Pay we don't use the PIN in the sense of chip and pin. In fact what is used is the CVV 3 digits usually the last three digits on the signature strip. It is that CVV which is entered into the wallet when a card is registered.

I just don't know why you keep on referring to chip and pin being used by Apple Pay when it isn't used. I can only conclude that you have never used Apple Pay and therefore don't know about it at all.

Let's put this one to bed if only for the sake of sanity: Apple Pay does not use chip & pin.
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Jul 18, 12:24 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    takman
    Except that when we use Apple Pay we don't use the PIN in the sense of chip and pin. In fact what is used is the CVV 3 digits usually the last three digits on the signature strip. It is that CVV which is entered into the wallet when a card is registered.

I just don't know why you keep on referring to chip and pin being used by Apple Pay when it isn't used. I can only conclude that you have never used Apple Pay and therefore don't know about it at all.

Let's put this one to bed if only for the sake of sanity: Apple Pay does not use chip & pin.
    You seem to have completely misunderstood my post.

When you use Apple Pay (or similar) you have to unlock the device using either a pin/password/fingerprint. You have to do that EVERY time you make a payment so that is your security.

I then compared this to the security of Contactless Payments which is limited by a £30 max spend and guarantee by the bank.

I also compared this to Chip and Pin where the security is a 4 digit pin to make a payment.
    I never said Apple Pay uses Chip and Pin I was comparing the diffrent payment methods and showing you that Apply Pay (or similar) actually has arguably more security than Chip and Pin payments; therefore you saying it 'circumvents Contactless safeguards" is nonsense.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 16th Jul 18, 7:35 AM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    You seem to have completely misunderstood my post.

When you use Apple Pay (or similar) you have to unlock the device using either a pin/password/fingerprint. You have to do that EVERY time you make a payment so that is your security.

I then compared this to the security of Contactless Payments which is limited by a £30 max spend and guarantee by the bank.

I also compared this to Chip and Pin where the security is a 4 digit pin to make a payment.
    I never said Apple Pay uses Chip and Pin I was comparing the diffrent payment methods and showing you that Apply Pay (or similar) actually has arguably more security than Chip and Pin payments; therefore you saying it 'circumvents Contactless safeguards" is nonsense.
    And to that I replied that in that case Apple Pay is only as secure as the mobile device.

I know how Apple Pay works because I use it several times a day almost every day. Apple Pay is primarily a contactless payment and that FACT is pointed out on till receipts.I look now at my Iceland till receipt from yesterday and it says, "No cardholder verification. Debit MasterCard" because I used Apple Pay linked to my Starling Bank Debit MasterCard.

The upper limit for contactless which at this time is £30 is set by card processors, i.e. VISA, MasterCard by agreement with the banks which authorise Apple Pay. If a mobile payments system or indeed any payment system allows more than the upper limit set by the payment processors then it is obviously circumventing that upper limit. Therefore that's not in any way, shape or form "nonsense".

Lastly Apple Pay does not use chip and pin to verify payments so stop referring to chip and pin in the context of Apple Pay. btw Google Pay doesn't use chip and pin either!
    • takman
    • By takman 16th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 3,114 Thanks
    takman
    And to that I replied that in that case Apple Pay is only as secure as the mobile device.

I know how Apple Pay works because I use it several times a day almost every day. Apple Pay is primarily a contactless payment and that FACT is pointed out on till receipts.I look now at my Iceland till receipt from yesterday and it says, "No cardholder verification. Debit MasterCard" because I used Apple Pay linked to my Starling Bank Debit MasterCard.

The upper limit for contactless which at this time is £30 is set by card processors, i.e. VISA, MasterCard by agreement with the banks which authorise Apple Pay. If a mobile payments system or indeed any payment system allows more than the upper limit set by the payment processors then it is obviously circumventing that upper limit. Therefore that's not in any way, shape or form "nonsense".
    If you want to continue to think that Apple Pay works exactly the same as Contactless that's up to you. I have explained how they are different and if you are unable to understand then we are just going to go round in circles.
    If you decide to post a logical reply to my post i will reply but otherwise there is no point.

Lastly Apple Pay does not use chip and pin to verify payments so stop referring to chip and pin in the context of Apple Pay. btw Google Pay doesn't use chip and pin either!
    So you seriously don't understand what a comparison is?

I don't know if you just acting silly on purpose because it's obvious to anyone with even a basic grasp of the English langue that i'm comparing the different types of payments in my posts.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 16th Jul 18, 1:50 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    If you want to continue to think that Apple Pay works exactly the same as Contactless that's up to you. I have explained how they are different and if you are unable to understand then we are just going to go round in circles.
    If you decide to post a logical reply to my post i will reply but otherwise there is no point.
    Apple Pay IS the same as contactless. It's not any different at all. That is for mobile payments at least. If you have a MAC then it isn't contactless but it still doesn't use chip and chip even in the case of web site payments. Ok I go into a store and choose my products and then to pay I hold my iPhone 7 over a contactless terminal and lo and behold I pay. That IS a contactless payment!

So you seriously don't understand what a comparison is?

I don't know if you just acting silly on purpose because it's obvious to anyone with even a basic grasp of the English langue that i'm comparing the different types of payments in my posts.
    The major problem is that you keep on referring to chip and pin in the context of Apple Pay and not only that you equate the PIN (or fingerprint or face recognition) used to unlock a mobile device with chip and pin. It's not chip and pin and is not in any way similar to chip and pin!
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 16th Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 4,420 Posts
    • 14,959 Thanks
    Westie983
    I have used apple pay for over £30 but not able to use my debit card for over £30 due to the contactless limit, so there must be a difference between the two payment methods.

that said can we say enough now, Takman, Anthorn as this is a silly argument, you have both said your points of view and you are going around the houses.

Lets just leave it here, and agree to disagree on each others points of view.

Westie983
    Last edited by Westie983; Today at 2:29 PM.
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£11,000/£12,000 = 91.66%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £1000/£1000 = 100.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1500)+-480/£2000 = 51.00%

Total £13,122.59/£15,865 = 82.71%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

9,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin