Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • venomx
    • By venomx 2nd Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 149Posts
    • 20Thanks
    venomx
    Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl
    • 2nd Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    Apple Pay in Asda/Lidl 2nd Jul 18 at 1:32 PM
    So Aldi accept payments larger than £30 with Apple Pay.

Are Asda and Lidl the same, or is there a limit ?

Thanks
Page 3
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Jul 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Sorry I could have been more clear. I was taking about using a contactless card, allowing you to make a payment over the limit by contactless and then authorising by card pin.

I was interested to know what Anthorn thought of this because if they think itís secure then thereís no reason why they shouldnít think Apple Pay is secure. If Anthorn doesnít think itís secure then why? Itís contactless+pin instead of chip+pin.
    Originally posted by knack92
    If you attempt to make a contactless transaction over the upper limit the terminal asks for the PIN. In that case it's not a contactless transaction but a chip and PIN transaction. There is thus no such thing as contactless+PIN. It's either contactless or chip n pin. As has been exhaustively explained Apple Pay circumvents that.

It's only as secure as the card and PIN or in the case of contactless the card itself or in the case of mobile payments the mobile device.
    • knack92
    • By knack92 5th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    knack92
    If you attempt to make a contactless transaction over the upper limit the terminal asks for the PIN. In that case it's not a contactless transaction but a chip and PIN transaction. There is thus no such thing as contactless+PIN. It's either contactless or chip n pin. As has been exhaustively explained Apple Pay circumvents that.

It's only as secure as the card and PIN or in the case of contactless the card itself or in the case of mobile payments the mobile device.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    The point was that contactless+pin is a thing in other countries for payments over their limit. While the UK reverts to chip+pin, both have the same level of security.

Putting that aside - all Apple Pay mobile device payments have authentication as secure or more secure than a four digit pin. I think this has been exhaustively explained and weíll have to agree to disagree.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 6th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,820 Posts
    • 3,153 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You posted almost exactly what I posted which means that you agree with me. It's not me who is saying there is a lower limit, it's the OP. Perhaps if you read through this thread it might be constructive.

My other main point is that Apple Pay circumvents the contactless upper limit which is £30 when I last looked. That upper contactless limit is there for a purpose and that purpose is to limit loss. Those who agree with that upper limit being circumvented probably deserve to be defrauded.

Oh yes I use Apple Pay too. But I don't leave my wallet at home because there are those times when Apple Pay doesn't work and that as far as I can see is due to retailer error. In short, always have a back-up.
    Originally posted by Anthorn

No - no i didnt and no i dont ..

You are reading the OP as if it is talking about a £30 lower limit - which is not the case.

I suggest YOU need to read the OP that you have quoted again

And no security features are being circumvented .. There are EXTRA security features in that you need to authenticate with biometrics - hence less need for any kind of upper limit
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • venomx
    • By venomx 9th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    Anybody know wether they will accept over £30 in future ( Asda) ?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 34,007 Posts
    • 28,904 Thanks
    custardy
    Anybody know wether they will accept over £30 in future ( Asda) ?
    Originally posted by venomx
    Who knows? Define 'the future'.
    The tills in my local have just been upgraded and show contactless up to £30.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 9th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    Who knows? Define 'the future'.
    The tills in my local have just been upgraded and show contactless up to £30.
    Originally posted by custardy
    In the next 3 months ?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Jul 18, 8:08 PM
    • 34,007 Posts
    • 28,904 Thanks
    custardy
    In the next 3 months ?
    Once again,who would know?
    Do you see Asda losing sales for not offering it? I doubt its many.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 9th Jul 18, 8:10 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    If I try Apple Pay on over £30 And it gets declined can it freeze my bank account ?
    • knack92
    • By knack92 9th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    knack92
    If I try Apple Pay on over £30 And it gets declined can it freeze my bank account ?
    No it wonít.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 10th Jul 18, 10:53 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    If i want to use over £30 via apple pay at lidl/aldi, when i come to the checkout do i just say " I want to pay via card " or should i say " want to pay via apple pay " ?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Jul 18, 2:05 PM
    • 34,007 Posts
    • 28,904 Thanks
    custardy
    If i want to use over £30 via apple pay at lidl/aldi, when i come to the checkout do i just say " I want to pay via card " or should i say " want to pay via apple pay " ?
    seriously. How many questions can you ask on this?
    Its a contactless payment.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 10th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    seriously. How many questions can you ask on this?
    Its a contactless payment.
    Was just making sure because the cashier may think that contactless is only under £30 ( not knowing apple pay is unlimited )

• venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jul 18, 1:59 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    @venom.x

Excellent list, I need to make a +30 purchase soon.
    Originally posted by Dandytf
    No problem.

Can anyone confirm that Lidl/Aldi accept over £30 ? I called Lidl earlier and said they don't ?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jul 18, 2:03 PM
    • 34,007 Posts
    • 28,904 Thanks
    custardy
    No problem.

Can anyone confirm that Lidl/Aldi accept over £30 ? I called Lidl earlier and said they don't ?
    Im going to give you a crazy idea. The first time you go,take a card.
    If it doesnt work over £30,you use the card.....
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    Im going to give you a crazy idea. The first time you go,take a card.
    If it doesnt work over £30,you use the card.....
    Fair enough, will do
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jul 18, 6:01 PM
    • 5,238 Posts
    • 3,901 Thanks
    sheramber
    We use Applepay for more than £30 every week in Lidl
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    We use Applepay for more than £30 every week in Lidl
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Do you just say " Id like to pay via apple pay please ? "
    sounds silly but the cashier may not know what apple pay is
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jul 18, 7:14 PM
    • 34,007 Posts
    • 28,904 Thanks
    custardy
    Do you just say " Id like to pay via apple pay please ? "
    sounds silly but the cashier may not know what apple pay is
    I think you should stick with cards. This is obviously too great a leap for you.
    I simply pay with my phone. I also don't feel the need say what brand it is.
    • venomx
    • By venomx 11th Jul 18, 7:27 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    venomx
    I think you should stick with cards. This is obviously too great a leap for you.
    I simply pay with my phone. I also don't feel the need say what brand it is.
    I am new to contactless and apple pay, its not too great of a leap, im just asking a few questions until i know more.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 5,238 Posts
    • 3,901 Thanks
    sheramber
    If it the first time using in a shop he will ask the cashier 'Do you take Applepay?' Often the reply is" I don't know. Try and see."

If he knows it is accepted he just produces his phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,878Posts Today

6,727Users online

Martin's Twitter