Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gazzak
    • By gazzak 2nd Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    • 458Posts
    • 615Thanks
    gazzak
    Mobility Scooter Return - Advice Needed
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:21 PM
    Mobility Scooter Return - Advice Needed 2nd Jul 18 at 12:21 PM
    Hi All,

I'll try to keep it brief and to the point, but advice is welcome.

My Mother is 80 and has trouble walking. Under pressure from her family, (myself included), she tried out and purchased a mobility scooter. Cost was about 1300. She used it once, really didn't like it, (it was a confidence thing, nothing wrong with the scooter), decided it wasn't for her and decided to return it.

The shop she purchased it from said they have a 5 day "change your mind" policy. She didn't know this. She had it for 12 days. They told her to "sell it on ebay".

This morning she rang CAB who told her to ring the shop and ask what their returns policy is. Now the shop are coming to take back the scooter and sell it in their showroom. Once sold they'll give her what it sold for. No mention of how much they'll be selling it for or what happens if it doesn't sell.

Good people of MSE, where does she stand? As said above, any advice welcome, (even if it's bad news).
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 2nd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,496 Posts
    • 7,483 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    Pretty much as the shop said. No legal entitlement to a refund.

Id be wary of the shop selling it as there doesn't appear much incentive for them to sell it at the highest price.
    Don't be angry!
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 10,943 Posts
    • 4,696 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:40 PM
    Did she buy in the shop ??

Not knowing they had a 5 day return is the same as not knowing no returns at all . Both are legal for the shop .

What sort of price are you expecting this used item to sell for .
    It would need to be at a significant discount otherwise purchasers will buy new .
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 2nd Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    its_all_over
    • 2nd Jul 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 2:38 PM

Now the shop are coming to take back the scooter and sell it in their showroom. Once sold they'll give her what it sold for. No mention of how much they'll be selling it for or what happens if it doesn't sell.
    Originally posted by gazzak
    That sounds like a really foolish option, what will you do if the shop sends you a cheque for 100 in a week after they sell it to a friend? You need to have a more structured agreement including the price you are willing to accept, alternatively sell it yourself, maybe try gumtree or a local Facebook selling group.
    • photome
    • By photome 2nd Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    photome
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    I would sell it myself on gumtree etc but be prepared to lose a significant amount over the cost of new.

If you are asking should the shop take it back and refund, then the answer is no as there is nothing wrong with it.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 20,938 Posts
    • 16,727 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    You haven't told us whether she went to the shop to buy or if it was done online or by phone - this makes a massive difference.

However, if it was bought in the shop then in my view you (and other family members) should give her back the full cost and try to sell it yourselves, given that she only bought it because you made her.
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 2nd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 5,804 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 2nd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    You haven't told us whether she went to the shop to buy or if it was done online or by phone - this makes a massive difference.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    She visited the shop and purchased it after trying it out.
    Pants
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Jul 18, 9:47 PM
    • 20,943 Posts
    • 11,722 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:47 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:47 PM
    You haven't told us whether she went to the shop to buy
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Pretty clearly states in the OP:
    she tried out and purchased a mobility scooter......

The shop she purchased it from said they have a 5 day "change your mind" policy.
    Originally posted by gazzak
    The item should sold via E-Bay etc to obtain the maximum sale price. Allowing the shop to sell it "second hand" will not realise that.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 3rd Jul 18, 12:30 AM
    • 10,268 Posts
    • 11,553 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:30 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:30 AM
    If you do sell it privately (and like everyone else, I think it is by far the best option), read up carefully on whatever warranty was provided to see if this can be transferred to the new owner as selling it with almost a full warranty would probably help get a better price for it.

Alternatively, your mother might grow more confident on the scooter over time especially if she starts off on very short journeys with someone going along with her for added support.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 3rd Jul 18, 3:30 AM
    • 5,607 Posts
    • 7,882 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I suggest doing what I had to do with car driving. Going to a quiet place and getting her to drive it and gain confidence before trying to sell the mobility scooter. She will lose half of the money spent at least, so see if you can persuade her to give it a try. Just try short periods of time.

I know my father who was an advanced driver, couldn't get used to the way his scooter braked.

Or could she exchange it for a scooter she prefers?

I suspect this happens a lot in mobility scooter shops. Wish the law was tightened up a bit to allow buyers a decent time to change their minds. Five days is nothing.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 03-07-2018 at 3:32 AM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 3rd Jul 18, 7:29 AM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    I suggest doing what I had to do with car driving. Going to a quiet place and getting her to drive it and gain confidence before trying to sell the mobility scooter. She will lose half of the money spent at least, so see if you can persuade her to give it a try. Just try short periods of time.

I know my father who was an advanced driver, couldn't get used to the way his scooter braked.

Or could she exchange it for a scooter she prefers?

I suspect this happens a lot in mobility scooter shops. Wish the law was tightened up a bit to allow buyers a decent time to change their minds. Five days is nothing.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Why? That would force shops to be left with secondhand good they may not be able to sell.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • bris
    • By bris 3rd Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 7,892 Posts
    • 6,860 Thanks
    bris
    You got 5 days, that's actually very good. Most won't even look at a refund once you leave the shop as they don't need to offer any refund period.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 3rd Jul 18, 5:22 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 3,189 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Wish the law was tightened up a bit to allow buyers a decent time to change their minds. Five days is nothing.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Would you happily pay new price for an item someone has test driven for 30 days, with the associated wear and tear, scuffs and scratches?

I think we all know the answer...
    • photome
    • By photome 3rd Jul 18, 6:14 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    photome
    Would you happily pay new price for an item someone has test driven for 30 days, with the associated wear and tear, scuffs and scratches?

Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Exactly.

Not sure the poster really thought it through
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 4th Jul 18, 6:22 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 5,804 Thanks
    warehouse

Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Exactly.

Not sure the poster really thought it through
    Originally posted by photome
    She used it once. Did you actually read the OP's post or is making assumptions par for the course on here?
    Pants
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Jul 18, 6:25 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,982 Thanks
    photome
    She used it once. Did you actually read the OP's post or is making assumptions par for the course on here?
    Originally posted by warehouse

would you still buy it as new and pay full price
    • A Nice Englishman
    • By A Nice Englishman 5th Jul 18, 7:04 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    A Nice Englishman
    A general point for anyone contemplating buying one of these and not having a friend or relative to borrow one from.

Many shopping areas have a Shopmobility scheme where you can borrow one (or hire one at low cost) for an hour or two. You don't need to be on any mobility-related benefits, have a blue badge or anything. Obviously you can't take it home but it seems a good way to try out with no commitment or pressure from salespeople.

http://www.shopmobility.org.uk
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 5th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Robin9
    A general point for anyone contemplating buying one of these and not having a friend or relative to borrow one from.

Many shopping areas have a Shopmobility scheme where you can borrow one (or hire one at low cost) for an hour or two. You don't need to be on any mobility-related benefits, have a blue badge or anything. Obviously you can't take it home but it seems a good way to try out with no commitment or pressure from salespeople.

http://www.shopmobility.org.uk
    Originally posted by A Nice Englishman
    An excellent idea.

I used to work for a Scooter supplier and we encouraged people to take second hand scooters home on a trial so they could make a good decision. It can be frightening travelling at 4 mph very close to the ground.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 5th Jul 18, 5:13 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 5,804 Thanks
    warehouse
    would you still buy it as new and pay full price
    Originally posted by photome
    Also don't recall seeing that in the original post. Are you just making stuff up as you go along?
    Pants
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 5th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11,010 Posts
    • 9,342 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    It can be frightening travelling at 4 mph very close to the ground.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    A person walking at a relatively fast pace will achieve 4 mph. Having ridden both of my late father's mobility scooters, I did not feel particularly close to the ground.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,076Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin