Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minttea1
    • By minttea1 2nd Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 15Thanks
    minttea1
    IPC ticket - hire car
    • 2nd Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    IPC ticket - hire car 2nd Jul 18 at 11:23 AM
    Hi all,

I appreciate everything is covered in the excellent newbie thread - which I've utilised for POPLA appeal. My quick questions relate to first appeal to IPC windscreen PCN from UK C-PM as a hiree of car, within 21 days.

1. Is it preferable to send the standard blue template as first appeal to ppc, or hire-car specific like this one (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69767583#post69767583), and remove POFA and NtK bits.
    2. Do I have to appeal by post? I can't see that UK C-PM has an online route.

Thanks,
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 2nd Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 59,444 Posts
    • 72,604 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 2nd Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    Where it is a windscreen PCN I would actually send a vague dispute to get there by post well within the 21 days, and maybe just use the usual blue template, as the keeper...much more vague. And it's not a lie, you were the keeper (under the POFA definition) that day.

My reasons not to use the 'Hirer' one for a windscreen PCN are:

- it tips them off that you are hiring the car and they might see the hire firm as an easy option to send a NTK to anyway behind your back (bearing in mind you will not have outed yourself as 'driver' it's a grey area they might exploit).

- it tips them off to comply with the POFA and still send a NTK/NTH to you/the Hire firm.

So I would be much more 'generic'.

And yes you will have to post the dispute, set out as a letter (name and address top right, date, heading, 'Dear Sirs', and ending 'yours faithfully' and all that jazz).

Any scope for getting a speedy cancellation by complaining to the landowner? They might be able to cancel a few per month within 14 days of issue, and today is only the 2nd of this month so maybe you can do it that way by being quick with a phone call/email to whoever is onsite/the owner. Be one of the few they cancel each month!

Also once you have posted the appeal (get a free certificate of posting at a PO Counter, no putting it in a postbox only, but also NO 'signed for'!) also tip off the Hire firm that you have appealed, and that you WILL NOT refund the Hire firm if they get a letter that they fail to pass to you and if they instead panic and pay.

Make it clear to the Hire firm (in writing, no phone calls) you do not authorise any payment to a scam ex clamper and that the t&cs of the hire only cover real penalties, not this trash, that you have appealed anyway and they can easily 'transfer liability' by returning a slip with your name & address as hirer on it, if they get a letter from UKCPM and are concerned.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-07-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• minttea1
    • By minttea1 2nd Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    minttea1
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    Cheers coupon-mad,

That makes perfect sense from past experience with BPA members, but not dealt with IPC member ticket before, so worth the clarification. Absolutely loud and clear on writing to hire company, will do!

Have tried to get hold of management company for the property, so will see if we can pursue further, but not going to wait too long to send standard reply to ensure it is received well before 21 days.

Thanks, much appreciated.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 37,002 Posts
    • 83,613 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 2nd Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    Get pictures of the site, entrance, signage etcetera ASAP in case you need them later.

Please complain to your MP about this unregulated scam as this is the only way to get it stopped.

These are some of the comments made by the MPs in Parliament concerning the unregulated parking industry (Feb 2018):

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • minttea1
    • By minttea1 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    minttea1
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    Presumably, I shouldn't bother telling hire company at drop off time (tomorrow), but email them within 21 days?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 59,444 Posts
    • 72,604 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    Don't tell them verbally. This needs to be in writing.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• minttea1
    • By minttea1 10th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    minttea1
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    The hire company doesn't have an email address, but I could do this through Resolver, and save some stamp money. Is that overkill for this?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 18, 12:57 AM
    • 59,444 Posts
    • 72,604 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:57 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:57 AM
    I detest Resolver. USELESS regarding any parking tickets, clueless.

Why not post a letter.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,603Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin