Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 2nd Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    • 6,949Posts
    • 40,838Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 2nd July?
    • 2nd Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 2nd July? 2nd Jul 18 at 8:19 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Page 3
    • uphillstruggler
    • By uphillstruggler 5th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    uphillstruggler
    Morning everyone,

Hope you all have a very good day today. Been sleeping really badly lately and am pretty pooped before the day has really even started.

Hoping to make this a NSD if I can.

Today I have/will:
    * check accounts
    * make some claims for expenses at work
    * update accounts and expenses for the past few months
    * sort out my nails - self manicure to save
    * few fly lady tasks around the home
    * look at getting some nice fabric in to make some sofa cushions

Have a super day
    US
    Emergencies account: 500/500
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,494 Thanks
    allydowd
    Going to the beach soon: MSE style:

* Walk Drive the mile to the beach in most economical car. DW stood on a thorn on holiday and now has a bit of pain and a lesion. Need to be careful as DW has diabetes and foot problems can be serious.

* Bought ice creams in Farmfoods to have on our return. Will not go to famous 4-a-shot ice cream parlour!

* Eat lunch before we go. 1 Farmfoods pizza. Will not go to cafe near the beach.

* Take own beach chair/beach blanket.

* Leave technology at home. This will be hard for me. But necessary!

* Take library book to read.

* Take frozen tap water with us in wee coolbag. Reuse plastic bottle until it disintegrates. Will not go to cafe near the beach.

* Take umbrella to use as a parasol.

Last edited by allydowd; 05-07-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 30

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza: 147.35km/160.93km
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity: 40.57km/40.23km Challenge complete

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 5th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 11,260 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Today we were supposed to be meeting a group of friends (along with their HE children), unfortunately, the meet up needed to be cancelled, I have saved over 50, which is pretty good compensation. We plan on rescheduling, hopefully, nearer home & a picnic, which will be much cheaper.

Our new plans for today are to stay at home until we go to our class this evening. Which is much need as both Tuesday & Wednesday we have been to various HE meet up as well as doing other bits and pieces which have all kept us away from home.

Today's list:
    NSD Done
    Put washing to dry outside in the sun, there appears to be a gentle breeze Done
    B/L/D from stores
    RM survey Done
    Correctly delivered survey Done
    Chase survey regarding delayed reward Done, should be with me in the next 7 days
    Turn off lights and appliances when not in use
    Take drinks and snacks with us this evening
    HE children for free Done
    Do not renew Netflix, trial ran out yesterday, this is our 2nd trial, we think we will get Netflix in the future, possibly every couple of months get a months sub, it will depend on what we have on Done
    Check bank accounts
    Bill friend for their wholesale food order Done
    Make a batch of porridge Done
    Set dw to run overnight
    Set wm to run overnight

Ally in joy your trip to the beach. Excellent saving on last years holiday, did you both enjoy it as much?
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Jul 18, 3:56 PM
    • 5,207 Posts
    • 41,217 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Really hot again!
    Forgot physio appointment Feel awful about this, as our surgery are always putting notices up about missed appointments Never done it before, put it down to lack of sleep due to the heat
    Few small things:
    NSD
    Checked banks
    Ironing

Update spreadsheet with yesterday's spends
    Make a list for the weekend - we are going camping, taking little GD
    Go to sales unit and put in more stock
    Watered raspberries, will need to do more watering later
    Pulled up garlic, left to dry out in the sun
    Planted land cress plant in big pot that the garlic came out of - it is going to seed, and I don't mind at all if it seeds itself everywhere - it is a lovely plant, we picked lots of salad leaves, and then it produced very pretty yellow flowers I am interested in the idea of permaculture, and how elements could be incorporated into a tiny garden.

Cut salad leaves

All food from home, will do a lasagne for dinner (sauce already made )

Hope everyone is having a good day

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 5th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,494 Thanks
    allydowd

Ally in joy your trip to the beach. Excellent saving on last years holiday, did you both enjoy it as much?
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe

We certainly did.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 5th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    E11ie
    Hi all

Sorry I haven't been about for a while, hope all is good with everyone, I'm off work at the mo with stress which added to the existing depression has been fun really hoping to be back in another week or so . On top of all the normal crazy and the added work stress we moved into our new house this week. It's very exciting, tiring and EXPENSIVE.

Anyway am not complaining but after a week of living in boxes and eating rubbish, plus 2 weeks of not exercising (apart from moving) I really want to get back into some good habits. Starting here :-)
    • So today was finally a NSD and all meals were from existing items in the fridge WOOHOO!
    • Completed 2 surveys
    • Cashed out for a 5 amazon voucher
    • Washed items at 40 and dried on airer outside (love FINALLY living in a house)
    Tomorrow
    • Collecting my online food order, only moneysaving because going to the shop is ALWAYS more expensive.
    • Aiming to get back to the gym, shower there, fill up water bottle AVOID ordering coffee
    • Collect lampshades from a sale found on FB market place - cheaper than buying all new ones

My new house comes complete with a decent sized garden, anyone have any tips for a newby? The lawn is not fairing well in this heat. Would eventually like to grow some veg but as it's a new build I should imagine it's going to be like digging into solid rubble. Oh well, one step at a time eh.

Total debts 6471.03 / 5988 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 930
    Focus on 1% challenge = 60.50
    NSD September = 2 (so far)
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th Jul 18, 8:42 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,494 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi July-Penny-Jailers,

Didn't finish my list yesterday, but I had a good go at it.

This list will grow as I do stuff.

Need to go to town later and to try to stay strong. I will not crawl back in bed!

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some (gentle) exercise. Done.

* Clear emails. Done.

* Go to town with DW to pick up two things she's ordered. Done.

* Do mystery shop in neighbouring town. Done.

* Prepare an old laptop for sale on eBay. In progress.

* Clean bathroom, sitting room and kitchen with Stardrops and washable cloths. Done.

* Attempt to repair umbrella. Done. Not perfect but better.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 06-07-2018 at 8:01 PM.

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Friday Frugalistas,
    An atypical day here, as mr f has taken back some time owed & has started undercoating the kitchen. I'm avoiding him flinging paint around by doing a range of other jobs. Frugal bits are:
    *Iron only what needs it (sadly this was more than I'd have liked, but needs must).
    *Use-it-up quinoa cooked - just enough for my lunch.
    *Pick salad leaves.
    *Water veggie garden & keep misting greenhouse.
    *Restore kitchen dresser. No need to buy anything as a good clean, polish & maybe wax will do the job.
    *Online grocery order coming tonight - on budget tho have told mr f he can have 5 beer allowance for painting kitchen.
    *Free fitness clearing a section of flower border which has gone over in the heat. Hopefully will get a 2nd flush of flowers next month.
    *Bit of veggie garden maintenance.....beans to tie in, tomatoes to side-shoot, marjoram to pick for drying, etc.
    *Sew button back onto my top. Was lucky to find it as lost it in our big garden.
    *Make list of jobs I can usefully do in town tomorrow when I am there supporting a Labour Party campaign.
    *Filing. This has built up & is in danger of becoming an 'Annoying Job'.
    *Hopefully make lovely frittata for tonight's meal. Unfortunately the chief painter & decorator is already making takeaway pizza noises. If we go down that route, it will have to come from our personal spends, so that may cause him to think again.
    *Knit socks for presents box. Mum gave me the yarn....she didn't like it. An 8 ball in self-patterning colours the recipient will love.
    *Contemplate best way to cut new kitchen blind to fit window. Have done before, but not on such a lovely blind or such a big one. Defo not money saving if I make a pig's breakfast of it!
    *Continue my new weekly log of wildlife seen in our garden - free entertainment.
    Enjoy the sunshine, frugal friends,
    Foxy x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 338
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 6th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 24,906 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Yesterday was a busy day with gym and then papering bathroom - just one main wall and it looks fab. Today's plans:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Remove curtain tracks and store in garage - Done
    Await "Blind" man as blinds being fitted today -
    Wash DS's curtains & Line dry -
    Sand mirror frame, wax and rehang -
    Rehang pictures in bathroom -
    Bake -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Swagbucks -

All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read or knit -

Have a great day all!
    C x
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155 Make 5 per day Aug: 122.68/155 Make 5 per day Sept: 375.95/150
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Ell1e - glad the move has gone well. Hope the stress drops off a bit now. Moving is very stressful even if we think we're enjoying it.
    Re gardening. I don't know if this book is still in print, but you may find it in a charity shop such as Oxfam bookshops. It was absolutely my bible when I got my first garden.....it covers pretty much everything & I still refer to it now for our veg growing. Details are:
    "Successful organic gardening' by Geoff Hamilton.
    It's quite a chunky hardback, published by Dorling Kindersley.
    ISBN: 0-86318-200-3
    This really has been our no.1 'go to' book for growing food.
    Otherwise.....take your time. Gardens grow, they're not made overnight & unless people can afford to hire the services of a garden designer, nobody gets it right first time.
    Good luck & enjoy!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 15,717 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just looked on Amaz0n and the book fG recommends has many second hand versions for 3 or less.
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 6th Jul 18, 5:01 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    E11ie
    Thank you both, I purchased a copy from Amazon for 1p (plus p&p) but as I used a swagbucks voucher for it I'll consider that a bargain.
    Total debts 6471.03 / 5988 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 930
    Focus on 1% challenge = 60.50
    NSD September = 2 (so far)
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 6th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1,015 Posts
    • 5,463 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Hello everyone, I haven't posted here in quite a few months, I've been fairly stupid, spending money, nothing on credit though, that's the only saving grace, I don't owe anyone anything but I shouldn't be spending, I seem to feel like I "have" to buy something each day, even if its a banana or a drink, I just cant stop.

I've decided to start a "spending diary" just in a notebook and carry it around with me so I can look and see, Im also going to make sure that I only ever have cash on me so I can physically see my money going.

And of course, Ill be checking in here daily, probably lunch time or evening time as my toddler doesn't let me sit down for 5 minutes!

I'm also back to Swagbucks and looking for things to list on FB selling pages and Ebay to try and claw back a few pounds here and there.

So today I have/still to do:

- Been to B&M to get some food supplies, saved around 4 compared to Tesco - Done
    - Swagbucks
    - Tidy living room - Done
    - Wash on and on the airer to dry - Done
    - Write meal plan and shopping list for next week - Done
    - Check banking - Done :|
    - Bump items selling on FB selling pages
    - Package and send ebay items that have ended

And try my hardest to be good!
    Have a lovely weekend all!

P.S - I'm melting today!
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Back hanging my head in shame
    Total debt as of 05/09/2018: 931.07

Mummy to a little prince 25/11/2016
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 6th Jul 18, 11:16 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    spudsmum
    Happy Friday fellow frugalers!

Busy day today as i worked a full day (normally finish at 12) so I'm shattered but still, that means i can have a day off next week.

Todays small things

found a tub of ready made buttercream (BBE October 17) in cupboard so made a quick batch of cupcakes to use it up.
    while oven was on, used leftover cake batter to make pineapple upside down cake
    while oven was on, used the blackberries i found in the freezer to make an apple and blackberry crumble (the boys dont like pineapple so alternative pudding for them)
    while oven was on, used ys puff pastry to make curry puffs for tonights tea instead of usual pizza.
    reconciled last week's budget and spreadsheet - came in a whopping 122.63 under budget - will split this between debt payment and holiday spends
    did this weeks shopping at Mr T - 22.43 for the full week due to having a massive stockpile already
    contacted estate agent to arrange to sign contract for house sale
    DH got paid his yearly profit share bonus so thats gone straight to emergency fund.
    cashed out another 5 amazon voucher from sw@gbucks - 40 in the xmas kitty now
    paid another 52 to MBNA
    submitted work expenses/petrol claim - 176 to come
    acquired two very nice electric reclining chairs - my mums neighbour is going into a home so wanted rid of all of his furniture - he wouldnt take anything for them and they were obviously very expensive, only a few months old and absolutely immaculate - just need to stop the kids playing on them now

Think thats it for now
    Total debts 21050! now 19061.52 . 1% challenge 1296.50/15000 (8.65%) Total extra income made in 2018 2376.58 frugal budget 2018 4952/6000 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 25 months to go!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Jul 18, 6:11 AM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 15,717 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Wow spudsmum you seem to be making big headway in to that debt

I've been awol as RL has some stuff going on that's distracting to say the least. I've tried to keep the faith:
    Cashed out 10 amaz0n voucher from a survey site, must add to my account today
    Messaged a retailed about a 3.99 refund
    Got notified that 108 of a pet insurance claim will be coming back. It's about half of the bill but they took off several things, but better than nowt
    Fixed our mortgage rate for 5 years
    Not been near a supermarket all week so no top up shops
    Did go to wholesaler and got some items we needed on bulk buy that I know are cheaper there. Left things that were tempting but I know aren't cheaper than elsewhere
    Today I have an appointment and I expect to be ther for some time so will take my k1ndle and some snacks and a refillable bottle of water
    Need to reconcile just for points CC and move some money from various pots to repay some spends from last weekend

Enjoy your weekend peeps.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 7th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 6,949 Posts
    • 40,838 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Purps hope the things keeping you busy are just time consuming rather than stress inducing x

ell1e hi & welcome back. Hope you love your new place and the stress is starting to ease x

spudsmum I agree you do always seem to be making huge progress!

yay day off and the sun is shinning am in two minds whether it's going to be a busy day! I plan to go to the allotment in an hour for an hour and then take madam swimming. After that I need to decide if me and madam are heading to a town festival at a nearish town, or take it easy for the day and go over to bff's late afternoon for tea and head down to a festival on the beach. Just writing it makes me lean towards the latter!

small things for the day:

* house is pretty tidy - except for the mountain of presents in the lounge! - just a quick tidy round and maybe wash d/s floors
    * all meals from stores
    * load of washing & hang on line
    * water plants - really didn't treat my tomatoes very well. Didn't repot for ages. We'll see if they flourish...
    * plant some basil
    * read free book - kindle unlimited are doing a free 3 month trial
    * madam to do 1 or 2 thank you letters/pictures
    * madam to start homework - we always leave it so we're doing it
    * other than that maybe just relax!

Have a great day y'all x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,494 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi July-Penny-Jailers,

Catching the ferry over to Arran today.

This list will grow as I do stuff.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise. Done.

* Prepare an old laptop for sale on eBay. Done.

* Eat a good breakfast at home before we go. Done.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 07-07-2018 at 7:30 PM.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Jul 18, 2:08 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 4,876 Thanks
    Happy Kitties

HK The dates where bulk bought on as they were on offer but I went a little bit crazy
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady
    That's exactly the sort of thing I would do re:the dates

DD is still doing a great job of eating up bits and pieces. Not doing too bad now, fridge a lot tidier and freezer not an inch of space spare.
    Have picked up extra bits of shopping for when DD BF comes back tomorrow for the week who lives off.....pizza!
    Banking all checked and a bill paid
    Went out first thing to get cat supplies and do some jobs.
    Just about to put some washing out, we could really do with some rain

Just rang up Asd@ George to vent my frustration. Did an order for 3 items which included a quilt cover for DD. Got everything except instead of the quilt cover I got some heavy duty grey curtains. When i returned these with full Asd@ paperwork when asking the staff what would happen next and they didn't know
    In the meantime ordered the quilt cover separately which I have received. Now I do admit that I can't find the receipt the shop gave me when I returned the curtains with full paperwork saying wrong item sent but rang Asd@ this morning and they can't find the parcel returned and of course I can't find the receipt.
    Said it was a pretty poor service when one the wrong item is packed and then they lose the returning parcel with full proper Asd@ paperwork in. Said if I was a dishonest person I could have kept the curtains and sold them on as they were worth an awful lot more than the quilt cover but being honest I decided to return them. I'm getting a refund for the quilt cover but I hate ordering from Asd@

Also having problems with fairly new wet room leaking like a sieve. Hall ceiling looks like it is about to collapse anytime but before work can be done asbestos samples had to be taken from every ceiling in the house including my newly painted ceilings which now have a big obvious scrape on them. Could of cried but going to put DD BF to work next week to paint over them which should only take him 2 minutes. But all decorating on hold until wet room and ceiling sorted which is frustrating as I desperately want to get living room done before new settee is delivered.

Not really into watching the football so I am going to have a tidy upstairs

Ellie sounds like you have had a really stressful time, and house moving is never easy-hopefully you are feeling less stressed and better within urself

Spudsmum ur doing some great debt busting

Right off to put washing out and continue putting a charity tombola prize parcel together.

Have a great afternoon everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Jul 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 22,521 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Sunflowers,
    HappyKitties - the leak sounds awful. Water ingress always makes such a mess.
    Spudsmum - great progress
    Not much of a list today, as was out at a political campaign first thing & it's just been too hot for much. Anyway....
    *Veggies watered.
    *Free fitness cutting back a big flower border. Moved some pots in to fill up gaps for free.
    *Didn't have time to prep meal for slow cooker before I went out because I had 3 texts & a phone call about a family drama, so mr f has taken sone bargainaceous pork ribs out of the freezer, plus a pot of home made BBQ sauce & is going to cook those with jacket wedges.
    *Found receipt for mr f's new sunglasses which melted on Thursday while he was wearing them!!
    *Knit present.
    *Free leisure reading my book under shady pear tree.
    *Cheap hot weather treat. Co-op cherry bakewell ice-cream on offer. Whole tub cheaper than buying one well-known branded choc-covered ice-cream on a stick (& it's yumungous!)
    *mr f cracking on great with painting kitchen.....a v low-cost makeover....details to follow at some point in my DFW diary.
    Ok, time to read my book & feel the grass between my toes.
    F x
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 8th Jul 18, 12:13 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    spudsmum
    Wow spudsmum you seem to be making big headway in to that debt

Enjoy your weekend peeps.
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Thank purplefairy (and everyone else who commented)

It doesnt always feel like that - some days it feels like a long hard slog with no end in sight but I'm determined to carry on. I'm very much an all or nothing kind of person so need to keep up the momentum or I know I'll lose interest. I do the 1% challenge which really helps because I'm always just focusing on getting to the next 1%
    Total debts 21050! now 19061.52 . 1% challenge 1296.50/15000 (8.65%) Total extra income made in 2018 2376.58 frugal budget 2018 4952/6000 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 25 months to go!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,650Posts Today

4,354Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin