Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Basic_Wizard
    • By Basic_Wizard 1st Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Basic_Wizard
    Neighbour's parasol
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    Neighbour's parasol 1st Jul 18 at 9:27 PM
    My neighbour has recently errected an enormous parasol in their back garden.
    Size wise it is approx 20ft x 20ft and when opened fully it's height is at least 5ft higher (in the centre) than the fence that separates us, covering probably 75% of their garden.

A part from it being an eyesore, the bit that bothers me most is it obscures the last 3 hours of sun in the early evening. Working full time means that sometimes that's the only bit of sun we get in the day, so it feels very inconsiderate.

I'm reluctant to go round because I do not want to initate any bad feeling, particularly as we hope to move house soon and any major dispute might mean we would have to notify prospective buyers.

So here are my questions that i'd be interested in your views on:
    - Is it legal to erect something that significant a size within a residential area e.g. is planning permission required?
    - What rights do I have, is it simply a call to the council and take it from there

Thank you in advance for any thoughts or contributions.
Page 1
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 1st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 45,239 Thanks
    Barny1979
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    Temporary feature, so doubt planning would be involved, but call them and ask for advice. I thought neighbourhood disputes don't need to be referred to now, as the homeowner packs don't exist.
    • bris
    • By bris 1st Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 6,864 Thanks
    bris
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    It's in their garden so yes they can erect a parasol, you won't get anywhere with this legally.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 1st Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,367 Posts
    • 1,177 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:13 PM
    They probably don't realise that their parasol has had this effect on your garden. I would go around and ask them if you are okay to pop round on evenings when you are home and want sun in your garden, and ask them to lower it. If you don't take offence if they refuse, then there is no dispute to report when you come to sell your house.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 64,207 Posts
    • 376,804 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:14 PM
    Feed the birds on that side of the garden. Ensure there's a lot of food, they'll all get to know about it and land on the fence to eat.... then fly and poop. Neighbours will get upset at their parasol being pooped on so much .... and not bother with it.

If you can hide the fact you're feeding the birds, all the better, as they can't then ask you not to do it
    • Basic_Wizard
    • By Basic_Wizard 1st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Basic_Wizard
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    Thanks for your speedy responses!

While it is arguably a temporary structure, they have had it cemented into the middle of their garden due to it's size and weight. I'd be interested to find out how temporary it will be i.e. whether it is dismantled after the summer, it is essentially like a flagpole when it is folded down.

It's interesting to hear that neighbour disputes may no longer need to be reported and the guidance on the reporting process is valuable too.

As they have also recently cut down branches from our tree (on our side, without discussion and leaving the branches for us to pick up), the thought had crossed my mind about getting some nice bird feeders out :-).

Thank you!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 1st Jul 18, 10:39 PM
    • 64,207 Posts
    • 376,804 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:39 PM
    ...the thought had crossed my mind about getting some nice bird feeders out :-).

Thank you!
    Originally posted by Basic_Wizard
    Guerilla Revenge is the best sort.

Another one might be that until you arrive home you could have a hidden jar of something that attracts wasps... maybe an old jar of jam. I don't know if that works at all.... although poop on the canvas is more upsetting than a few occasional wasps buzzing round. Nowt worse than poop on your parasol!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 1st Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 29,787 Posts
    • 76,316 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    I thought neighbourhood disputes don't need to be referred to now, as the homeowner packs don't exist.
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    I don't think this is right.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 1st Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 16,014 Posts
    • 22,843 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    It's interesting to hear that neighbour disputes may no longer need to be reported and the guidance on the reporting process is valuable too.....
    You have been misinformed.

Disputes have to be disclosed on the Sellerís Property Information Form.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 1st Jul 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Wait until the winds start blowing - Anything good for kite flying will see it up in the air and gone. If it up in the last few months of the year, the winter winds will finish it off.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Jul 18, 1:45 AM
    • 39,027 Posts
    • 35,908 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Guerilla Revenge is the best sort.

Another one might be that until you arrive home you could have a hidden jar of something that attracts wasps... maybe an old jar of jam. I don't know if that works at all....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    An unwashed empty jam jar with a little water in it is a good wasp trap, but it does attract them, so may work well!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 45,775 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If you're hoping to move house soon - then I guess you might as well just "shrug it off" and not take action.

The time to think "Now - what do I do about that?" is in a house one intends to stay in for some time or where the neighbours might scupper your chances of a sale for correct money.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 2nd Jul 18, 7:10 AM
    • 16,583 Posts
    • 45,775 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Wait until the winds start blowing - Anything good for kite flying will see it up in the air and gone. If it up in the last few months of the year, the winter winds will finish it off.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Depends what part of the country one is in. In my last area - no it wouldnt. Here = you'd be right and it would suffer.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 2nd Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 26,134 Posts
    • 94,842 Thanks
    Davesnave

It's interesting to hear that neighbour disputes may no longer need to be reported and the guidance on the reporting process is valuable too.
    Totally wrong, and if you want to see the form you'll have to fill in, then just Google 'Law SocietyTA6' and ignore maps of the Taunton area.....

This parasol is a temporary feature, so you're lucky it's not a tree, or two..... Oh, hang on, the neighbour's been having a go at your tree, so maybe what's in your garden is also annoying them somehow!

Whatever, it sounds like an ideal time to be moving. Be joyful at leaving this behind and don't go out of your way to attract wasps, because they'll only spoil whatever enjoyment of your own garden you have left.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • theGrinch
    • By theGrinch 2nd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    theGrinch
    Reminds me of Jasper Carrot council complaint

"My neighbour has a large erection in the garden"

or "The toilet is blocked and we cant bath the children"
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 4th Jul 18, 6:00 PM
    • 5,383 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    You don't want to upset the neighbour by going round & having a polite word but you are happy to inform the council & who do you think is gonna get the blame when the letter arrives through their door
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 5th Jul 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 3,232 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Why can't you just pop round and ask if they aren't using their parasol in the late afternoon, would they mind lowering it? If they are obviously using it at that time best to just put up with it if you are planning on moving.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 7th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,733 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Call up the planning department and see if they will investigate.

I presume they would do that without letting the neighbour who called them.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 7th Jul 18, 11:39 PM
    • 26,134 Posts
    • 94,842 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Call up the planning department and see if they will investigate.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    However, before you do that, look at the Planning Portal to find that rule which parking_question_chap thinks is being broken.

I don't think it's there.
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 8th Jul 18, 7:13 AM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 3,366 Thanks
    Hoploz
    Just have a friendly chat with the neighbour! They probably have no idea it's having any impact on anybody else. People often don't think about others.

Out of interest - What on earth are they using it for though?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

756Posts Today

6,327Users online

Martin's Twitter