Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 1st Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 4,504Posts
    • 79,076Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming For Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    Slimming For Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 1st Jul 18 at 9:19 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you!!!8230;!!!8230;!!!8230;go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list !!!8211; so that!!!8217;s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra !!!8216;a!!!8217; choice and one Healthy Extra !!!8216;b!!!8217; choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Last edited by Chrisv; 01-07-2018 at 9:30 PM.
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it – Donald Horban
Page 10
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 9th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    • 16,427 Posts
    • 196,224 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I am all bloated again, and sadly need to report a +3.6 gain!

SSM
    ..you & I have 3 days to hold England to ransom ........
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I have wrote OH a list of jobs I want doing before he watches the game.....
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jul 18, 8:11 AM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,383 Thanks
    joedenise
    Good to see you posting again MrsR. Don't beat yourself up, you're now back on plan. You can't change the past but you can change what happens going forward.

Stoke we all know life can get in the way so it's a case of Be good when you can and careful when you can't. Perhaps try having some SP days in between now and Wednesday and again between Thursday and the weekend. You might still get to target with a plan in place.

Today's plan:

B - baked oats, mixed fruit & quark
    L - LO burgers (DD's partners kids didn't come so as the burgers had been frozen previosly we've not really got a choice but to eat them today), salad for me and buns for DH
    D - chicken & bacon carbonara

HEA - milk
    HEB - oats
    Syns - burgers 1 (butcher's low fat @ 0.5 each)

Not planning any more syns as had too many over the weekend. Still need to work out how many syns I have left for today until Wednesday.

Denise
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 9th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Had a few days offline. Still really struggling with the weather. Ended up in hospital last week as my kidneys weren't coping at all. Now have doctors appointments 3 times a week to keep an eye on me until the weather cools down, with the threat of being readmitted if need be
    Got very strict instructions to take it easy too, which I haven't got time to do, and unfortunately it is the food prep that is having to give a little, and as a result my eating isn't as healthy.

Weigh in tomorrow and not expecting it to be good.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - yogurt and fruit
    Lunch - couscous salad
    Dinner - chicken, wedges and salad
    Snacks - fruit, SF jelly, cereal bars

HA - milk
    HB - cereal bars
    Syns - SF jelly (0.5), rest of my syns (plus more) eaten over the weekend
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Jul 18, 9:30 AM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 79,076 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Here is last week's chart.

Well done never to old and Sky_ on SOTW

*SOTW is the person who lost most this week who also lost or maintained last week.
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 9th Jul 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 79,076 Thanks
    Chrisv
    Morning

Welcome to the newbies Some great losses last week - even I managed 1LB.

Please shout up if you spot any errors/omissions in the chart
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 57,986 Posts
    • 238,621 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks for the chart Chris.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jul 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 10,608 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Hope everyones had a nice weekend. Big week ahead what with the football. Although I'm fairly confident I'll finally get my 5st award (been 0.5lb off for weeks now), I will openly state in group that it's off until the World Cup is over. I will be eating rubbish and drinking loads Wednesday and Sunday. Guaranteed

Once that's done, I'll finally smash it and hopefully get to target within the next 2 months or so.
    Originally posted by Stoke

I've set myself a target of 6 weeks to get mine so come on Stoke you and me together.

I have wrote OH a list of jobs I want doing before he watches the game.....
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    Oh SSM - I want dosh to keep me from watching it....as every time I don't watch it England wins

Had a few days offline. Still really struggling with the weather. Ended up in hospital last week as my kidneys weren't coping at all. Now have doctors appointments 3 times a week to keep an eye on me until the weather cools down, with the threat of being readmitted if need be
    Got very strict instructions to take it easy too, which I haven't got time to do, and unfortunately it is the food prep that is having to give a little, and as a result my eating isn't as healthy.

Weigh in tomorrow and not expecting it to be good.

Today's plan:
    Breakfast - yogurt and fruit
    Lunch - couscous salad
    Dinner - chicken, wedges and salad
    Snacks - fruit, SF jelly, cereal bars

HA - milk
    HB - cereal bars
    Syns - SF jelly (0.5), rest of my syns (plus more) eaten over the weekend
    Originally posted by kathrynha
    Your overall health is far more important.

I don't know if it would help but would one of those cooling mats that people are using for animals help?

I've bought today one from the Tesco garage & it's only the size of a laptop, so not very big at all until I can get a bigger one as the dog has really struggled in this heat and I was surprised how well it works (well had to test it before giving to the dog didn't I??) I'm going to get one later for my mum as she's struggling as well.

Thanks for the chart ChrisV & well done Never too old & Sky_
    Last edited by gettingtheresometime; 09-07-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 9th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 12,422 Thanks
    kathrynha
    I don't know if it would help but would one of those cooling mats that people are using for animals help?

I've bought today one from the Tesco garage & it's only the size of a laptop, so not very big at all until I can get a bigger one as the dog has really struggled in this heat and I was surprised how well it works (well had to test it before giving to the dog didn't I??) I'm going to get one later for my mum as she's struggling as well.
    Thanks, will look in to it, because if nothing else it might help me sleep better
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 53 lb
    Last updated: 27th February 2018
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 10,608 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Thanks, will look in to it, because if nothing else it might help me sleep better
    Originally posted by kathrynha

It is actually called a cooling pillow ....I'm just glad you weren't offended!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

• Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    Stoke
    I've set myself a target of 6 weeks to get mine so come on Stoke you and me together.
    Let's do it!!

I keep telling myself once the world cup is over, it'll be easier, but I know other things will get in the way. Hopefully not.

To members at target, is it easier to maintain than lose? Obviously once you're at target you don't have to worry about losing, but does a bad day affect you more weight wise than when you were bigger? I'm really keen to know this
    • kadison
    • By kadison 9th Jul 18, 1:35 PM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 55,965 Thanks
    kadison
    Afternoon all!

Well done on the losses everyone!

I have rejoined SW now after missing 3 weeks, I have a starting weight of 22 stone and want to lose as much as possible before my wedding next April.

My old consultant was covering the class and I've realised how much I miss her, so I've decided to find out which classes she does and go to one of those, even if it's the one at 7:30am on a Saturday morning!

Meanwhile, I noticed 'prickly pear' on the fruit list and have been singing 'The Bare Necessities' ever since!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2018
    I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it - Groucho Marx
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jul 18, 3:31 PM
    • 18,712 Posts
    • 111,733 Thanks
    maman
    Morning

Welcome to the newbies Some great losses last week - even I managed 1LB.
    Originally posted by Chrisv

well done chris!

It's amazing looking at the chart that we've lost 30+ lbs. in a week!

To members at target, is it easier to maintain than lose? Obviously once you're at target you don't have to worry about losing, but does a bad day affect you more weight wise than when you were bigger? I'm really keen to know this

In reality probably not but it feels like it because you're in this narrow window of just a few lbs. so very conscious of gains. That's why most people at target try to be right at the bottom of range as then there's 6lbs of leeway to allow for holidays or nights out or any other going off plan reason.

I suppose it does depend whether you intend to carry on going to WI when you get to target. If you don't then you can make your own mind up how far out of range you can trust yourself to go. This thread and/or going to group does seem to help staying at target. There are too many stories of people who lost and then put it all back on again.

I have rejoined SW now after missing 3 weeks, I have a starting weight of 22 stone and want to lose as much as possible before my wedding next April.

My old consultant was covering the class and I've realised how much I miss her, so I've decided to find out which classes she does and go to one of those, even if it's the one at 7:30am on a Saturday morning!
    Originally posted by kadison

I suppose if it is a Saturday morning, it'll make you behave on a Friday night.

If you read what missteach has achieved then you could lose loads by next April! It's great to have a goal in mind and what better than a wedding.

I'm out for a meal tomorrow with friends. I just had a quick look at the menu and I should be able to eat fairly low syn although I might have a glass of wine. Then there's Wednesday night when wine syns will be needed whatever happens. I don't feel as if I've lost much since I got back last week. Part of the problem is that because it's so hot I've been wearing really loose dresses so I can't rely on my usual 'clean jeans' test.Today I'm being good though.

Today's EE menu:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB Weetabix with HEA milk
    L: cold pork with fried veg and pickles
    D: baked salmon, roast veg (aubergine, courgette, tomato, peppers, mushrooms, red onions, garlic, cauli) with new potatoes.
    Syns: NONE!!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 4,163 Posts
    • 10,608 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Originally posted by kadison
    I've said before there's a woman in my class who has been attending for nearly 40 weeks & on Saturday got her 6st award

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,383 Thanks
    joedenise
    Let's do it!!

I keep telling myself once the world cup is over, it'll be easier, but I know other things will get in the way. Hopefully not.

Maman beat me to it! What she said. Although I would add that I can't remember the last time I reached bottom end! When I go on holiday I try to be at or just below target so I usually only have 3-4lb leeway; and as you have probably realised I tend to have longish holidays as well as frequent ones! Also often away for weekends.

I just stick to the mantra of Good when I can and careful when I can't and then when I get back I try to go straight back on plan and usually I'm still within range (just) or just 1/2 or 1lb over which I can lose the following week so still not need to pay.

As Maman says once you're at target you will find what works for you. For some, including me and Maman, weekly syns are the way to go so you can have more when you need to and cut back on the other days. I tend to have most of my syns over the weekend and then only a few Monday to Wednesday, with WI Thursday morning.

I ended up having my burgers in a bun as there was a WM roll leftover which I'd hadn't frozen so an extra 7 syns!

Tonight's carbonara will be syn free!

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 53,206 Posts
    • 630,518 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    Kadison you have something to aim for so you will stay on plan i am sure.
    Kathryn, hope you stay away from hospital x
    Stoke, although i am at target and at the lowest i can go i HATE putting anything on i know its inevitable but thats me, i also go every week to group as i need the discipline. The first week after i got too target i put on 3 lb for no reason what so ever so think thats why i am more careful, in an ideal world i would like to weigh the same every week , that is never going to happen
    Well done to the SOTW'S and thanks chris for chart
    Well done to all those that have lost
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 2 1/2 lb
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jul 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 3,070 Thanks
    Stoke
    In reality probably not but it feels like it because you're in this narrow window of just a few lbs. so very conscious of gains. That's why most people at target try to be right at the bottom of range as then there's 6lbs of leeway to allow for holidays or nights out or any other going off plan reason.

I suppose it does depend whether you intend to carry on going to WI when you get to target. If you don't then you can make your own mind up how far out of range you can trust yourself to go. This thread and/or going to group does seem to help staying at target. There are too many stories of people who lost and then put it all back on again.
    Originally posted by maman
    Thanks for the reply. What's the range you have to stay in? Is it +-3lbs of your target? Like you said, I think my aim will be to be at the bottom of the range. I might even move my target weight lower.

I think I will continue to attend weigh-ins because I feel they provide a lot of my motivation. I don't ever want to put the weight back on and that will definitely be a challenge because I suspect it is easy to fall off the wagon once you've finally got to that final weight. That said, the weight won't pile back on in a day. I'm sure I read somewhere that even binge eating most days of the week, the likely maximum weight gain per week is something like 4-6lbs. To get back to my original weight would require weeks, perhaps months of constant binge eating. My hope and belief is that I can have a level of self control that I clearly didn't have before. It took 3-5 years for me to put it on. I am promising myself I won't make the same mistakes. I want to be able to enjoy myself within reason though and my hope is that once I stop losing, that will be more possible

I know there's 'no-shame' in a bad week, but nobody is going to tell me they don't feel kind of crappy when they've had a gain, even a small one. Continuing to WI after target will remind me what I've been doing this for. The comfort in knowing that for a long time I was this utter mess and I've been able to turn that around, I hope, will be enough to put me off that unnecessary McDonald's on the way to work (one of my original kryptonites). I'll save the Maccies for when i'm desperate
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 53,206 Posts
    • 630,518 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thanks for the reply. What's the range you have to stay in? Is it +-3lbs of your target? Like you said, I think my aim will be to be at the bottom of the range. I might even move my target weight lower.

I think I will continue to attend weigh-ins because I feel they provide a lot of my motivation. I don't ever want to put the weight back on and that will definitely be a challenge because I suspect it is easy to fall off the wagon once you've finally got to that final weight. That said, the weight won't pile back on in a day. I'm sure I read somewhere that even binge eating most days of the week, the likely maximum weight gain per week is something like 4-6lbs. To get back to my original weight would require weeks, perhaps months of constant binge eating. My hope and belief is that I can have a level of self control that I clearly didn't have before. It took 3-5 years for me to put it on. I am promising myself I won't make the same mistakes. I want to be able to enjoy myself within reason though and my hope is that once I stop losing, that will be more possible

I know there's 'no-shame' in a bad week, but nobody is going to tell me they don't feel kind of crappy when they've had a gain, even a small one. Continuing to WI after target will remind me what I've been doing this for. The comfort in knowing that for a long time I was this utter mess and I've been able to turn that around, I hope, will be enough to put me off that unnecessary McDonald's on the way to work (one of my original kryptonites). I'll save the Maccies for when i'm desperate
    Yes its 3lb either way , like i said i hate gains but we all have them you may as well get weighed each week is my belief as you paid all that money before and now its free, so take advantage
    If you lower your weight as to be at least 7lbs at a time
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jul 18, 7:16 PM
    • 5,593 Posts
    • 41,383 Thanks
    joedenise
    Stoke if you do decide to lower your target wait until you are at bottom end for your current target and then you'll only need to lose 4lb to reach your new target. This of course means you'd probably only need to pay for a few weeks before you reached target again.

Denise
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 9th Jul 18, 8:00 PM
    • 16,427 Posts
    • 196,224 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy

Oh SSM - I want dosh to keep me from watching it....as every time I don't watch it England wins
    So you will not be watching the next two games....
    Last edited by Sunshinemummy; 09-07-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 53,206 Posts
    • 630,518 Thanks
    bubbs
    Tea and pudding, a quiche for lunches

Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,734Posts Today

9,569Users online

Martin's Twitter