Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kkhimji2001
    • By kkhimji2001 1st Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 48Thanks
    kkhimji2001
    american express business gold card
    • 1st Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    american express business gold card 1st Jul 18 at 12:32 PM
    I recently received this credit card:

Gold Business Card by American Express®
    Earn 20,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points if you are approved and spend £3,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.

I plan to buy a new oled tv over £3,000 and also got quidco cashback on this card so thought its a good time to get this card for the points as I am making a major purchase.

Question:

Am I allowed to buy large items for personal use on this credit card as I had to register my business name to get the card. However I plan to pay off the balance from my personal account and have no business expenses on this card (that is on another card - my business bank account debit card).

I am purely using this card for the points and favourable rate. Let me know if this is fine
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 1st Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    • 25,173 Posts
    • 12,430 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 1st Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 2:22 PM
    With it being a business card does it offer S75 protection?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Chino
    • By Chino 1st Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Chino
    • 1st Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    Am I allowed to buy large items for personal use on this credit card as I had to register my business name to get the card.
    Originally posted by kkhimji2001
    Not according to the American Express Gold Business Charge Card Agreement:

"Using the card
    You may use the card for purchases up to any applicable spending limit.
    If you are a business customer, then you or any supplementary cardmembers may only use the card (including cards used by supplementary cardmembers) for transactions made for the purposes of your business. You and supplementary cardmembers must not use the card for personal transactions."
    https://www.americanexpress.com/content/dam/amex/uk/legal/business/the-american-express-gold-business-charge-card-terms-and-conditions.pdf
    • aweds
    • By aweds 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aweds
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 5th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    kkhimji2001 - please can you inbox me / message me about an older post (Wimbledon) thanks,
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    madvicker
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 5th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    jonesMUFCforever - Yes business credit cards also come with S75 protection - corporate cards do not though. Also, the Gold Business card is a charge card so it doesn't come with Section 75 - same applies to the personal version.

OP - Technically speaking you shouldn't. But doesn't mean you can't. Just be prepared to answer some questions from Amex if they decide to investigate.
    • kkhimji2001
    • By kkhimji2001 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    kkhimji2001
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    card
    • 7th Jul 18, 9:56 AM
    I am just buying a tv and not paying it from my business account but only my personal current account so its not affiliated with my business account at all
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 5,423 Posts
    • 3,343 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    I am just buying a tv and not paying it from my business account but only my personal current account so its not affiliated with my business account at all
    Originally posted by kkhimji2001

So re-read post #3 which covers this
    • michaels
    • By michaels 8th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    • 21,242 Posts
    • 98,357 Thanks
    michaels
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 12:29 AM
    Why didn't you just apply for the personal gold card (same points offer) if you wanted a card for personal spending?
    Cool heads and compromise
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,539Posts Today

8,589Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin