Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barmonkey
    • By barmonkey 1st Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 6,796Posts
    • 15,938Thanks
    barmonkey
    Bloody multiple listing auctions
    • 1st Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    Bloody multiple listing auctions 1st Jul 18 at 11:59 AM
    I have been looking for some denim shorts for my son so I filter my search to "shorts", "size 32", "lowest price first", and I get 100s of listings offering shorts from 99p to around 10. But the 99p item is a thong or a pair of cheap pants.

I don't want pants, I just want to know the price before I open the auction.

Is there any way to weed out all this crap ?

I found a few that are priced at 2.95 but they have nothing but 8.95 items for sale, how do they get away with that ?
    WWSD

(what would Scooby Doo)
Page 1
    • prowla
    • By prowla 1st Jul 18, 1:10 PM
    • 10,102 Posts
    • 8,329 Thanks
    prowla
    • 1st Jul 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1st Jul 18, 1:10 PM
    It is search and browse manipulation, but I don't know whether ebay care.

It'd be great to be able to block sellers.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 2nd Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    I remember when "sort by price low to high" was the way to go but as time has gone on, it is doing eBay no good as everyone rushes to the bottom of the market and eBay make little profit, nor does the seller.
    If you could have a "sort by price" button in the high street, the entrance to every store would begin to look like a pound shop, or maybe a market of imported Chinese shoddy goods, and goods not fit for purpose.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 2nd Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    There is already a sort by price filter on the High St. People know that a pair of shorts in Marks and Spencer is going to cost more than a pair of shorts in Peacocks.

I wonder if you can cut out the 99p irrelevant crap by searching for shorts and use
    the price filter set at a minimum of say 3?
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 2nd Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    I wonder if you can cut out the 99p irrelevant crap by searching for shorts and use
    the price filter set at a minimum of say 3?
    eBay are already doing this in certain categories, at the top of the search results. It may be on phone or vice versa I can't remember.

Of course there is always the headache of buying a 3 widget and finding it's a 1 widget etc.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 2nd Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    • 13,586 Posts
    • 23,093 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 12:57 PM
    Aliexpress do it as well now. Sort by price and you find the amazing mobile phone case you've been looking for at a bargain 20p, only when you click on it you find it's a screen wipe or some such rubbish.
    Very very annoying.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• soolin
    • By soolin 2nd Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 61,078 Posts
    • 43,635 Thanks
    soolin
    • 2nd Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    eBay are already doing this in certain categories, at the top of the search results. It may be on phone or vice versa I can't remember.

Of course there is always the headache of buying a 3 widget and finding it's a 1 widget etc.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    I have the option for a minimum price on the left hand margin of the search on both my PC and iPad. I often use it on things to at least partially remove the stupid 99p when you know the item is going to be at least x amount more. I was trying to buy a dress recently , 99p starts even on them , when I looked it was for a sample of the material, frankly that's getting beyond cheeky.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 3rd Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 12:53 PM
    Aliexpress do it as well now. Sort by price and you find the amazing mobile phone case you've been looking for at a bargain 20p, only when you click on it you find it's a screen wipe or some such rubbish.
    Very very annoying.
    Originally posted by pulliptears
    This was my exact experience when I was looking for a new phone case at the weekend. I got so fed up that I have stuck a bit of tape on the damaged area instead
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 64,942 Posts
    • 381,223 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 1:02 PM
    I've seen this in tents. Looking at tents (not going to buy one, just looking), then sorting into price, there's a multi listing where they have four completely different products for sale and it shows up ... because the cheapest item is a cheap camping lamp at at about 3 ... whereas the tent you could choose from the drop down is about 40.

I could filter it out, but why should I .... they should've paid for 4 separate listings.

Curtains are another bugbear... my size is largest (90x90) and the prices on multi-listings will show the smallest price...
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 3rd Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 11,617 Thanks
    NBLondon
    ICurtains are another bugbear... my size is largest (90x90) and the prices on multi-listings will show the smallest price...
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    If it's different sizes/colours of the same item - it's justifiable IMHO. Like shops saying "From only 19.99..." When it's quite unrelated things - then yep - it's manipulation of the search.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 21.23 $4.28 6.08 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.25 NZ$0.55 C$0.90 S$0.20 zl0.12 (Polish zloty) LB0.22 (Bulgarian lev) ISKr5.0 DKr1.0 CHF0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti dinar) MDL0.25 (Moldovan leu) YUM 1.0 (Yugoslav dinar)
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 4th Jul 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 3,402 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I have been looking for some denim shorts for my son so I filter my search to "shorts", "size 32", "lowest price first", and I get 100s of listings offering shorts from 99p to around 10. But the 99p item is a thong or a pair of cheap pants.

I don't want pants, I just want to know the price before I open the auction.

Is there any way to weed out all this crap ?

I found a few that are priced at 2.95 but they have nothing but 8.95 items for sale, how do they get away with that ?
    Originally posted by barmonkey
    This is one of the reasons I buy very little on ebay these days. Sellers are listing so many variations of an item at a wide variety of prices. Added to which sometimes there are pages and pages of something listed by the same seller with one word changed in the title.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Jul 18, 1:28 PM
    • 5,236 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I rarely use ebay now, searching low to high just brings up listing with prices from and to but there is never anything for sale at the lower price or its a completely different irrelevant item!
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter