Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SmwSmw
    • By SmwSmw 1st Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 4Thanks
    SmwSmw
    0 WOW
    Brain cancer/Cancelling booking
    • 1st Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    0 WOW
    Brain cancer/Cancelling booking 1st Jul 18 at 11:12 AM
    Hi all,

My grandmother booked a holiday for herself and three other family members to Los Angeles through LastMinute.com in January for October paying around £650 deposit with the rest to be paid by 1st September. This is showing as a pending booking.

However on Monday we were told that she has brain cancer and is either likely not to survive or it will be a long recovery process if she does. Therefore obviously she will not be able to go on the holiday but either outcome the rest of the family will either be required to assist her with her recovery or be making funerary plans and in mourning.

On trying to cancel the holiday which is three months away we were told we were liable for the whole cost of the holiday, subsequently told we would have to pay a £750 penalty charge and will lose the deposit, then we were told to even cancel the holiday that we would need to prove that my grandmother has cancer (and that penalty fees would accrue until this could be proved).

I therefore emailed the CEO who in his reply was sympathetic to our situation and apologetic at the miscommunication however he would have to pass it on to his VIP Service Team to rectify.

On receiving their response, what we were told previously (I.e. that we would have to pay a penalty charge which would keep increasing until we could prove my Grandmother cancer) was reiterated with a loads of copy and pasted Terms and Conditions. On questioning why we were to incur such a large penalty fee I was told this is because ‘in the bulk of cases LastMinute.com pay upfront for the holidays and will not receive the money back. On requested proof that my family’s specific holiday has been paid for, they have failed to respond.

Can anyone offer any advice or advise of any action we can take?

I would usually be able to deal with this matter myself but I am still trying to come to terms with my Grandmothers diagnosis and spending most of my time with her.

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 21,185 Posts
    • 17,004 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Go to phoenix tears website and read the information there. It is used in certain cases to treat with great success and it costs nothing.
    There is information on the phoenix tears website.
    This is not spam. Registered just to answer this thread as this could save lives.
    Originally posted by kdior

It absolutely is spam, and you should be utterly ashamed of yourself for trying to take advantage of the situation. Hopefully a forum ban will be heading your way very shortly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,150Posts Today

8,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Are you overdrawn, if so typically by how much just before you're paid? (sorry for a 2nd poll in a day, but it'll? https://t.co/RwDJ6ZkYQw

• With 8,000 votes, so far Remainers are 86%-14% for a 'people's vote' if there's no deal. Leavers are 63% to 37% a? https://t.co/MspLuPNAo7

• Two Benylin cold & flu packs, in the chemist just now. One for mucus coughs, one chesty. Yet look just above the ba? https://t.co/OtLJrNrJyW

• Follow Martin