Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 30th Jun 18, 7:51 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 8Thanks
    JoCha
    Prescriptions - can anyone help?
    • 30th Jun 18, 7:51 PM
    Prescriptions - can anyone help? 30th Jun 18 at 7:51 PM
    Hi there, my apologies for jumping straight in when I am brand new but I am pretty desperate for advice at the moment! My situation is this:

I have been on ESA (income based) for some years. Two and a half years ago my fiance moved in with me and I dutifully notified the DWP. As he has savings from the sale of his house, I was told that my award was being reduced to zero. Fair enough.

I did, however, continue to claim free prescriptions as assumed that I was entitled to them - the box says nothing about the amount of the award; merely that I on on ESA which technically, I am.

I recently got a letter telling me that I had been flagged as having fraudulently claimed a free prescription and was asked to send a copy of my award letter. I called the DWP, who agreed to send me a copy of the letter and also verbally confirmed that I WAS eligible for free prescriptions. I assumed that that would be the end of it , but today I received a letter from the prescription people telling me that as my award was zero, I was not eligible. This is the opposite of what the DWP told me!

Anyway I have been trying to confirm it one way or another but I can't find the information anywhere at all. If I have been claiming wrongly all this time and they are gonna put a forty quid penalty onto each charge I am in big trouble .. that would be nearly three thousand quid .

Can anyone tell me for definite whether I am eligible as the NHS people and the DWP are contradicting on another and also, do I have grounds for a complaint against the DWP? Thanks
Page 2
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 1st Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoCha
    I DID get the answer I wanted and was extremely appreciative - I had not managed to find that information anywhere. I will call them and offer to pay the outstanding .. I do not 'cheat.' But being called 'naive' is rude. I came here looking for information - not for people to 'agree' with me.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 2nd Jul 18, 8:13 AM
    • 5,551 Posts
    • 6,196 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    What you do not state is if you have a medical condition that enables you to get free prescriptions ESA or not some conditions do enable it.
    Originally posted by Hoogle

If a claimant is receiving payment on an ESA income related claim they are entitled to free prescriptions etc. There are no medical conditions which are excluded from free prescriptions.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 17,579 Posts
    • 44,457 Thanks
    elsien
    If a claimant is receiving payment on an ESA income related claim they are entitled to free prescriptions etc. There are no medical conditions which are excluded from free prescriptions.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    You automatically qualify for free prescriptions for certain illnesses regardless of benefits but the GP has to do a medical exempt certicate.

Who can apply (medical conditions)
    You can apply for a medical exemption certificate if you have one of the following medical conditions:

a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance
    a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison!!!8217;s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
    diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism
    diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
    hypoparathyroidism
    myasthenia gravis
    myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement)
    epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy
    a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person
    cancer and are undergoing treatment for either:
    - cancer
    - the effects of cancer
    - the effects of cancer treatment
    These are the only conditions that entitle you to a medical exemption certificate.

Doesn't look as if the OP qualifies.

Moving forwards, have you considered a prepaid certificate?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 2nd Jul 18, 8:31 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    bspm1
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I have not paid for any prescriptions for over 25 years due to hypothyroidism,whether on benefits or not you are exempt from paying.

Although, it is early, i'm woozy with drugs so not sure what you actually mean by 'excluded from free prescriptions' so ignore me if I am not making sense.

And, hello everyone, been away for awhile, nice to be back.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 2nd Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    GotToChange
    Might the OP be eligible (from now), on the low income scheme (is it HC1?) - or is it based on household income and savings I wonder?

• lauraedwards86
    • By lauraedwards86 2nd Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    lauraedwards86
    Too much rudeness on this site frankly. Thanks for the advice .. I am leaving now so feel free to lock the thread.
    Originally posted by JoCha

I actually agree with this JoCha - I joined today to ask a Q and read your post as I scrolled past. I'm not a regular contributor so not honed-in to to the forum etiquette, but several of the responses you've received are at best blunt and impolite and at worst rude.

It's not difficult to respond in a personable way.

If you have a chip on your shoulder about us peasants who are unsure of the rules, why continue to browse the forum and begrudgingly give dismissive responses?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 3,804 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    poppy12345
    If you have a chip on your shoulder about us peasants who are unsure of the rules, why continue to browse the forum and begrudgingly give dismissive responses?
    Originally posted by lauraedwards86
    No one that's responded to the posts have a chip on their shoulders. The question was asked and answered multiple times, not sure what else is needed.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 3rd Jul 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 2,471 Thanks
    parkrunner
    To me at least it's pretty straightforward, if I wasn't actually receiving any money then I wouldn't be claiming free prescriptions. Award nil equals prescriptions nil in my book.
    • sassy-one
    • By sassy-one 4th Jul 18, 3:39 AM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 1,828 Thanks
    sassy-one
    OP, don't let certain posters bring you down; ignore them, don't give them bait.

Regards your problem, I'd speak to the NHS Help with health costs department, I am sure that a application could be backdated on a HC1 form, albeit I'm not sure by how far.
    If you aren't entitled to claim or have it refused, then I'd definitely look at writing to them, explaining your circumstances and hopefully it'll be reviewed by someone with some sympathy.

Good luck
    Life is to short to go on hating someone but there are some people who are pure evil and you are best far away as possible from.
    I've learned you should live every day as your last
    Snowflake <3 Always remembered
    Posted via my iPhone
    • Ames
    • By Ames 4th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 17,697 Posts
    • 31,278 Thanks
    Ames
    To me at least it's pretty straightforward, if I wasn't actually receiving any money then I wouldn't be claiming free prescriptions. Award nil equals prescriptions nil in my book.
    Originally posted by parkrunner
    I think that's a little harsh. There are plenty of situations in benefits where having an underlying entitlement but no payment 'counts' - for instance with NI credits, or for various premiums. I can see how someone could be confused and think it applied to prescriptions too.

Having said that, the prescription form is clear that you have to be receiving benefit, not just have a claim.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 18, 2:02 PM
    • 9,379 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    pmduk
    Might the OP be eligible (from now), on the low income scheme (is it HC1?) - or is it based on household income and savings I wonder?
    Originally posted by GotToChange
    They would have to use Form HC1 to claim on the Low Income Scheme and would receive either form HC2 if entitled to full help or form HC3 if entitled to partial help.

The only people to be trusted with giving prescription advice are the divisions of the NHS Business Services Authority, other people may be well-meaning, but inaccurate.

To that end, I'll substantiate my post! https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-help-health-costs
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 5th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoCha
    Thanks to all respondents . Just to quickly update, I saw my GP yesterday - home visit for something else - and mentioned this. She expressed surprise and said that she'd also have presumed I'd have been eligible. She has offered to 'support' me in dealing with the people. I've not contacted them yet but I mean to do so and explain the situation and offer to pay the total that I've accidentally wrongly claimed (about two hundred pounds I estimate), but ask that they forgo a further fine (we paid the first one already) on the grounds that it was an honest mistake. GP has said she is happy to verify this and will herself point out that she finds the rules unclear.
    • JoCha
    • By JoCha 5th Jul 18, 8:15 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoCha
    With regards to the low income thing - I do not know if we would be eligible. We have no income at all at the moment - my partner is not working but not claiming benefits, although he would, I think, be eligible for contribution based JSA as he worked for over 20 years in the same job and has never claimed any form of benefit. We do, however, have savings of just under 20K which is why my award is zero.

Sorry for the lousy grammar above. I feel too hot and wiped out to fix it.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 6th Jul 18, 9:20 AM
    • 9,379 Posts
    • 7,042 Thanks
    pmduk
    Perhaps a prescription pre-payment certificate would be cheaper for you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

3,934Users online

Martin's Twitter