Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    • 7,153Posts
    • 72,818Thanks
    greent
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July!
    • 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July! 30th Jun 18 at 10:17 AM
    • The challenge runs from 1st - 31st July 2018
    • NSDs - if you like to monitor NSDs, choose either the gentler target of 13 or the stretching target of 20 - or set your own somewhere in between! Usual exceptions (fuel, YS items, medical (inc for animals!) etc) apply
    • Remember others - donate money/ items/ time to a charity of your choice. Helping at PTA events comes under this! As do Random Acts of Kindness (RAOKs)
      Pay to your debts or savings FIRST and live off the rest

• Set your budgets
    • Use things up - not just food in cupboards & freezer, but toiletries and excess cleaning products etc - share your wins! Using something up instead of buying something else is
    • Revisit those targets you set back in January. We are halfway through the year !!!8211; how are you doing? - do you need to tweak things to stay/ get back on track or set some new targets/ aims?
    • Vacation time !!!8211; school hols have started for those in Scotland, I believe. For England & Wales the school hols will start this month. Budget accordingly - what free or low cost things can you find to do? - especially for any rainy times. Maybe check local faceb00k pages for details of what!!!8217;s on and any offers. And for those with no bother for school holiday periods, they may be planning their Summer getaways or days out. Make the most of any memberships you have (you've already paid for them, after all! ) and any vouchers you can find. Gr0up0n sometimes has good deals for different things to do - check the local page for anywhere you plan on visiting to see if there are deals on local attractions/ restaurants.
    • Inspire others - share your ideas on here of things to do with kids/ how to keep holiday costs down/ what things you!!!8217;ve used up (especially if you!!!8217;ve used them as a substitute for something)
    • Value for money -research for any planned (or unexpected ) spends. Don't forget cashback sites for purchases. Often banks seem to have offers you can activate for cashback on debit card purchases - if you're going to spend then getting some money back is a bonus!
    • Every day - check in and also remember your daily gratitudes.

• Jump - or run, garden, swim, walk !!!8211; we all know that being active is good for us - ideally 3 or more sessions a week. Take care in warm weather and stay hydrated.
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Picnics for days out are great - maybe have a budget for ice creams and extra drinks for the way home. Social plans are hopefully already thought of (birthday meals/ takeaways/ night in pub for football etc) and can be budgeted accordingly
    • Lose the excess. Most of us have too much stuff. Declutter. Use things up. Donate to a worthwhile cause. Sell books/ CDs/ old games on Z1ff1t/ Mus1c Magp1e (not forgetting to go through a cashback site first) Sell on flebay/ gumtree/ faceb00k/ car boot sale - any money made can either be put towards debt/ savings or maybe summer treats (you all know your own situations and what would work for you) If there's excess weight, maybe jump/ run/ walk a little more and be mindful of what you are eating. Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing (we keep an ongoing list of large and small jobs and try to knock something off it each month)/ any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time to think about this. Perhaps draw up a list of birthdays between now and January and also a Xmas list and keep an eye out for items/ put money aside monthly. Don't forget yourself -make a list of what you!!!8217;d like for Xmas and then you'll be prepared when asked!

So come along for the journey, Turtles - let's encourage one another to not just survive July, but to enjoy it as well! xx
    Last edited by greent; 02-07-2018 at 3:58 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £2772.47/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £558.92/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
Page 8
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 6th Jul 18, 10:14 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Checking in!

A spend day today - in a rush so no lunch, plus we need some food for the weekend. OTOH I finally managed to unlock my TCB account and transferred £37!

I've started doing the 1% challenge on my CC - 1% done and once the TCB cash hits my account I can do another. This is on top of my usual payments.

Today I'm thankful for a relatively quiet day - it's been a long week!
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 27,566 Thanks
    thriftylass
    My courgette plants are covered in big yellow blooms and tiny courgettes are forming!

Gratitudes
    Whoever invented anti-histamines - I salute you!

Originally posted by f0xh0les
    My courgettes too . I'm hoping too they are ready before or after we are back from holiday. Might ask our neighbour to water our plants anyway and keep an eye out.

Luckily my hay fever has died down again but DD still gets anti histamines for her itchy eyes. They are a blessing (the drops not the eyes).

Not sure where I stand on SFDs, hope today will be one. Will need to do a big(ish) shop on the weekend.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 06-07-2018 at 11:44 AM.
    NST June
    SFD 5/20 spends 474 (incl MOT which I might claw back form savings if needed)/540
    Exercise 5/20
    Debt - all 0% 1015 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 102400 (07/18) OP 0
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 6th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 25,735 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I pressed the wrong button and it ate my post.

Short version. Spendy day yesterday, needed a taxi to get to my therapist appointment and caught the little bus back to the bus station.
    Therapy was good. I was able to report big improvements in sleeping, exercise and eaing well and am going to use the next 2 weeks to build up routines with emergency back ups.

Walked round the shopping centre for over an hour, buying things will not fix what is wrong but the air conditioned shops meant I walked for much longer than I could have managed on the streets and picked up ys sandwiches on the way home.

Today I am going to sort mum's yard. She has some edging strips and rocks which were going to be used around the grass at the front but has changed her mind. They are still all laid out on the plastic sheets where we painted / scrubbed them so will move them behind the shed. May have a go at the shed - bought a pack of big hooks ages ago to hanf up the garden chairs (it's a tiny shed).

Grateful for my therapist, for feeling better (taken a lot of work) for doing one or two tiny jobs even on my worst days, for the sunshine - do love it, just wish it didn't make me so ill, for my sun based eczema not being as bad as someone else's.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Jul #10 SFD 6 /13 Food £100.54/£150 Travel £17.60/£15 Ent/diy £6/£30
    No Debt No mortgage
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Jul 18, 12:47 PM
    • 7,153 Posts
    • 72,818 Thanks
    greent
    Day 5 & 6
    • NSDs - 2
    • Remember others - DD to charity gone out.
    • Pay to your debts or savings FIRST - DONE £60 OP to BTL
    • Set budgets. Food 47.96/475. Fuel 0/65 Gifts 13/30 Toiletries 0/10 Cleaning 1.75/10 DD uni stuff 10/50 Clothes 0/100 Social 16.50/75
    • Use things up Ongoing. Lots of YS items from freezer used last night for dinner and made a veggie curry for dinner tonight from odds and ends in freezer and tired bits in fridge
      )
    • Revisit targets you set back in January. -
      Done. [/COLOR]
    • Vacation time No idea whether we're going on hol in Oct (not booking until after A level results) and no real plans made for summer hols with the kids - must get thinking cap on!
    • Inspire others -
    • Value for money -spends yesterday were an airer for DD, a new washbasket for the boys' bathroom (old one was literally falling to pieces) and a tester pot of paint for the kitchen. All needed and good prices on airer and washbasket
    • Every day - here Am thankful for the weather (again), lots of line dried washing, seeing good friends last night (here, no cost), DS1 getting an interview for next week for a Summer job, DD & DS1 helping me with household tasks

• Jump - Short walk yesterday but lots of housework and shifting bits about.
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. - yep. Persuaded OH yesterday that we did not need to go to C0sta and could wait 10 mins until we got home!
    • Lose the excess. Some more clothing items to ragging. Some items of DD's boxed up for selling at NNS.
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing / any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time - will make a list of people with bdays and those I need to get Xmas presents for and make a start, even if it is putting money aside.
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Jul 18, 12:48 PM
    • 7,153 Posts
    • 72,818 Thanks
    greent
    Kerry Woman - hugs for you and your friend x

mummylewis - hope the willpower to resist the Sale is holding!
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 6th Jul 18, 2:41 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    No spend day so far. It was a close call though.
    #545- SPC July No Spend: 5/20
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 6th Jul 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 5,608 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi guys
    Another NSD for me making it 4 so far.
    I walked the long route into the CS this morning and did an extra shift. It was a very tempting day with loads of lovely things to buy but I didnít give in.
    Iím grateful thatís itís a bit cooler today and for the lovely people I met in the shop.
    Oh and for the smell of the lamb korma in the slow cooker. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.
    I hope everyone is doing ok
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    Credit card £279.88
    Food £104/£175
    NSDs 8/15
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Jul 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 13,350 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Today was better. Finally left the house and walked to the shops. Just a few spends. The half price scones weren't really needed but they were good. Bought our weekly war cry from the Salvation Army man at the shopping centre. I'm not at all religious but they do such good work.
    Himself's birthday tomorrow. All presents wrapped and card written. I offered to take him for lunch to the local pub but I think he wants to watch the football.
    Not much to report on the tidying front. I have plans. It's just putting them into action that's proving difficult. Really can't find he motivation!!!
    Oh well, Friday. Have a good weekend.
    • Omg7kdebt
    • By Omg7kdebt 6th Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Omg7kdebt
    Hello y'all

Well today was not a NSD but I'm still quite pleased. Knew I was going to pub to say goodbye to a couple of colleagues and budgeted 10 pounds - made a pint of diet coke last me 90 minutes then made my excuses when people started to order food. I really wanted to stay and eat burger and chips but well.. *delighted* with spending my 2.80.

Even better, I found some old holiday money last night whilst cleaning out a drawer. Have no plans to return to Prague for a while so cashed it in for a princely 12.51.

This weekend I'm going to try and do some exercise and enjoy my garden. Both days can be NSD for me if I stick close to home.
    Hope everyone else has a lovely weekend on the cards too.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 6th Jul 18, 9:21 PM
    • 2,383 Posts
    • 23,180 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    greent- Thank you.
    NSD 5/20 Was a spend day. Was really careful with spending today.
    Made cash donations to 2 charities. Also entered a charity 5k run, but I will be walking it. They said it was fine for me to walk it.
    Set - Done the budget for the month.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into this.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Had dinner round friend's again.
    Achieved some household chores when got back home.
    Having a good night sleep.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Walked from school to bus stop also walking around school doing errands today.
    Unless - Not needed today.
    Lose - Done decluttering for now. Still need to take items to cs.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July! NSD 15/20
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 6th Jul 18, 9:25 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 4,669 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

Day 6 update:
    Budgets - £200 food/other spends and £100 social spends - £25.04 social spends
    Use things up - read a library book
    Check in everyday - 6/31
    Jump - walked to the library and back
    Social - visited soft play with the little one
    Add to my EF - £3.50 added
    Read as many books as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book completed
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2018 #150 - £895.62/£2018
    SPC11 #564
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 6th Jul 18, 9:44 PM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 25,735 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Went to mum's and moved the kerbings and rocks (made that seem really simple but struggled to get out of bed and stay awake. Went back outside just before 8pm to move the last few rocks and to water some of the flower pots using water from the water butt.

Caught my foot in a loop of old washing line, fell full length and had to lie there as all the water trickled out and dmade a big puddle round me. had just got to sitting up when mum came to find me but managed to get myself up using the frame of the swing seat (had to roll over in the puddle to get on my best side for getting up).

Stayed alter than usual to give my dress time to dry. Tomorrow is going to be interesting - pretty sure nothing is broken but bruises and stiffness expected.

Today I am grateful for having a phone call from my only remaining aunt, for getting most of what I had planned done (was going to make an attempt on the shed but having tried 3 times to put up a little basket, I decided that today was not hte day for it, for my dress drying quickly and for my injuries not meaning a visit to the walk in centre.
    No Debt No mortgage
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 6th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 7,477 Posts
    • 56,315 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Ouch mothernerd! Another set of injuries and bruises for you to deal with. Be gentle with yourself x
    NST Survive July #4; NSD 9/15; Ex 13/20 ; craft / (77); remove 29 (509)
    2018 Pay off: £2334; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW /10

Mortgage £20,809 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Jul 18, 10:57 PM
    • 2,796 Posts
    • 19,786 Thanks
    misstara
    Hope you're not too sore mothernerd.

Yesterday was a NSD taking me to 2/13

Today I bought a present for a work colleague who is leaving (£10) and spent £16.77 on food.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £678.01 (70.6% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £471.72 (40.9% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 7/60
    Emergency fund - £50/£1000. Car fund - £122/£1000.
    Mini Targets in July
    Exercise target - 5/16. Groceries target £150.93/£200. NSD target 5/13.
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 6th Jul 18, 11:33 PM
    • 2,872 Posts
    • 26,592 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 12 checking in
    Hi all

ouch mothernerd - hope you're not too sore tomorrow!!

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20.... still 3/13

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Have been sorting but it is a big task, not made easier by being unwell for the past few days & find the hot weather difficult especially when unwell. Will record progress on here to call me to account. Must view house as massive shop full of items which can be (mostly) sold. Have already discovered loads of clothes etc than I can either wear or sell. Also have makeup & toiletries, need not buy any of those either..still a bit poorly but managed to wash & iron some clothes & list a few on FB selling sites. One sold straight away but they've not paid yet, if the others don't go I will list on ebay..looks like all 3 people who expressed interest paid up, so 3 items sold..will post them out tomorrow & list more. Posted out 3 items today, plus one for DD. Didn't list any more today, but DH liberated some more boxes from large shed, so have more to trawl through tomorrow. Not actually listed any more but spent a very hot hour this morning in the 'big shed' so called because it's like 2 sheds stuck together. Trawled through quite a few boxes & found more carp to sell, but first it has to be washed. Did 2 wash loads & will start listing tomorrow, as I caught sight of the boxes in the double garage...lots and lots.. Did iron a lot of the clothes; not such a good idea in this heat, was absolutely not the day to do this. no listing either as DD then got up from night shift & wanted to go - you guessed it - shopping...

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weigh (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens.. Still £44.26 so far..plus £5 voucher for doing a survey; £49.26 Another £3 voucher today: £52.26

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Have found more stuff especially shoes to go. Must ramp this up as go away 3 weeks today...clock is ticking..

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. DH & DD went shopping & PO, big mistake as DD brought back 2 extra large chickens she got for only £2.50 each, very pleased with her bargains bless her.....Just what I needed more food to be used right away... Cooked one, need to think of what to do with the other ( no room in freezers) PDQ! DH renegotiated BB deal with Virgin yesterday, they assured him deal would still be available today. Took 45 mins of argument, ask to speak to a manager, etc etc before they agreed to honour it...no wonder folk give up in disgust. Should save us £300 per year..no shopping today of any kind thankfully, value or otherwise..shopping today & stocked up with some things that were on offer..that's my excuse

Every Checking in 6/31

Gratitudes:
    DH helping with garden watering - and washing up; good sport on TV; trip to SM in DDs fancy hire car.

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this. In the garden tonight, just watering..not much actual gardening possible..

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Takeaway tonight - unwanted by me - but DD can always get round her dad..

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    So far have put on a pound in weight & made £52.26

Yearly
    we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Making big list this weekend; also one of items to take to Ireland with us; menu planning; will be a very listy weekend

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 7th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 36,201 Thanks
    dolly84
    mothernerd - ouch, hope you are OK. I tripped a few weeks ago running in the woods and it took a few days for the soreness to wear off.

DH had to go to the doctors on Thursday, he thinks that he got bitten by a bug whilst out running and it has become infected, the whole of the side of his face is swollen. Had to get antibiotics for 2 weeks and if no better by Monday has to go back (good luck to him getting an appointment for that) and they may have to admit him to hospital. He got bitten a few years ago and ended up in hospital overnight and couldn't drive for a while (bitten on the knee) right when we were going away.
    Total Debt 01/14 £13043.00, now £0 debt free date Dec 2016, actually July 2016.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 7th Jul 18, 9:50 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 4,834 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Mothernerd I hope your okay.
    According to my app I have had 3 nsds so far. Which is brilliant. I am hoping today will be number 4.
    #545- SPC July No Spend: 5/20
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 7th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    OMG7debt

How nice of your drawers to reward you for coming home!
    Even the furniture is cheering you on.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99
    July 105,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 7th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,549 Posts
    • 12,803 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Yesterday was not a NSD as I bought lots of drinks to fill the fridge. Trying to make the kids remember to drink more.
    Also bought another tv to replace a broken one £80. second hand.

Today I need to buy enough food to do until 18th - well, not all of it, but will fill the freezer. I don't want to buy masses though. Run down the fridge and freezer before we go.

So still on NSD 3

Off to do stuff before it gets too hot. Well, it is already too hot, but it is only going to get worserer and hotterer.

Come on England!! (or insert whoever your fave tennis player is)
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 March 18 £108,504.72April £108,099May £106,999June 105,999.99
    July 105,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k before JulyMortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 7th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 2,462 Posts
    • 25,735 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Thank you for all your good wishes. let's just say it is going to be a day of challenges. Took me 20 minutes to get out all the morning pills and swallow them. Luckily it set off the coughing and when Beloved came to offer me a cough sweet, she kindly went downstairs to refill a 2l bottle with tap water (only get a cupful if I go in the bathroom.

Took another hour of pondering and moving stuff to work out how/ if I could get in the bath (had already checked if DS3 was awake to ask for back up (not on-line to still asleeep). had a wooden stool outside the bath and a plastic one inside (had thought it wouldn't hold my weight but it was fine). Used the shower fitment attached to the taps - they sent the wrong fitment and deciding to keep it rather than return is one of my best ever decisions and the fixed shower bar to help with standing and sitting.

So now I am clean but exhausted. breakfast was a kit kat (in one of the shopping bags) and will sort the rst later (have a half cooked ready meal in the microwave). Might be a pack of sandwich meat and pasta salad or beetroot. Maybe they will take pity on me and include me in their takeaway order

Today I am grateful for plastic stools, for finding a confortable position to lie in, for ibruprofen (and all my other pills), for having 3 books within hand reach and for remembering not to kneel on my sore knee when getting back onto the bed
    No Debt No mortgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,069Posts Today

4,983Users online

Martin's Twitter