Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    • 7,527Posts
    • 76,462Thanks
    greent
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July!
    • 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July! 30th Jun 18 at 10:17 AM
    • The challenge runs from 1st - 31st July 2018
    • NSDs - if you like to monitor NSDs, choose either the gentler target of 13 or the stretching target of 20 - or set your own somewhere in between! Usual exceptions (fuel, YS items, medical (inc for animals!) etc) apply
    • Remember others - donate money/ items/ time to a charity of your choice. Helping at PTA events comes under this! As do Random Acts of Kindness (RAOKs)
      Pay to your debts or savings FIRST and live off the rest

• Set your budgets
    • Use things up - not just food in cupboards & freezer, but toiletries and excess cleaning products etc - share your wins! Using something up instead of buying something else is
    • Revisit those targets you set back in January. We are halfway through the year !!!8211; how are you doing? - do you need to tweak things to stay/ get back on track or set some new targets/ aims?
    • Vacation time !!!8211; school hols have started for those in Scotland, I believe. For England & Wales the school hols will start this month. Budget accordingly - what free or low cost things can you find to do? - especially for any rainy times. Maybe check local faceb00k pages for details of what!!!8217;s on and any offers. And for those with no bother for school holiday periods, they may be planning their Summer getaways or days out. Make the most of any memberships you have (you've already paid for them, after all! ) and any vouchers you can find. Gr0up0n sometimes has good deals for different things to do - check the local page for anywhere you plan on visiting to see if there are deals on local attractions/ restaurants.
    • Inspire others - share your ideas on here of things to do with kids/ how to keep holiday costs down/ what things you!!!8217;ve used up (especially if you!!!8217;ve used them as a substitute for something)
    • Value for money -research for any planned (or unexpected ) spends. Don't forget cashback sites for purchases. Often banks seem to have offers you can activate for cashback on debit card purchases - if you're going to spend then getting some money back is a bonus!
    • Every day - check in and also remember your daily gratitudes.

• Jump - or run, garden, swim, walk !!!8211; we all know that being active is good for us - ideally 3 or more sessions a week. Take care in warm weather and stay hydrated.
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Picnics for days out are great - maybe have a budget for ice creams and extra drinks for the way home. Social plans are hopefully already thought of (birthday meals/ takeaways/ night in pub for football etc) and can be budgeted accordingly
    • Lose the excess. Most of us have too much stuff. Declutter. Use things up. Donate to a worthwhile cause. Sell books/ CDs/ old games on Z1ff1t/ Mus1c Magp1e (not forgetting to go through a cashback site first) Sell on flebay/ gumtree/ faceb00k/ car boot sale - any money made can either be put towards debt/ savings or maybe summer treats (you all know your own situations and what would work for you) If there's excess weight, maybe jump/ run/ walk a little more and be mindful of what you are eating. Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing (we keep an ongoing list of large and small jobs and try to knock something off it each month)/ any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time to think about this. Perhaps draw up a list of birthdays between now and January and also a Xmas list and keep an eye out for items/ put money aside monthly. Don't forget yourself -make a list of what you!!!8217;d like for Xmas and then you'll be prepared when asked!

So come along for the journey, Turtles - let's encourage one another to not just survive July, but to enjoy it as well! xx
    Last edited by greent; 02-07-2018 at 3:58 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £724.53/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
Page 7
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 5th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,188 Posts
    • 6,124 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Thanks Apple Muncher
    So thatís 3 NSDs Iím quite proud of that
    Cuddles 8
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 5th Jul 18, 5:00 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    Tropically
    I realised that today is actually NSD 3 for me, as I didn't spend anything on Sunday, 1st. It's still early but I am at home and unlikely to leave the house or go online shopping because my brain is on fire. I was looking up places to go to try acupuncture but I have had no luck. I have always had reoccurring headaches but lately I have been taking painkillers 3 to 5 times per week. I don't want to keep that up. I don't know if it's a physical manifestation of anxiety. I am getting married in two weeks, and am moving countries in 6. I made a mistake at work today, a little mistake with big consequences.. Is it surprising then, that my head catches on fire and I can't do anything else but lay down.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Jul 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 16,259 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD NO 4
    Still haven't ventured far but at least I did a bit of tidying today. I am really getting a bit despondent about the state of the house. It's so untidy. No, actually it's beyond untidy. Must have a right good clear up.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 5th Jul 18, 5:45 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    NSD NO 4
    Still haven't ventured far but at least I did a bit of tidying today. I am really getting a bit despondent about the state of the house. It's so untidy. No, actually it's beyond untidy. Must have a right good clear up.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Lots of hugs Toni'sfriend. Hope you get sorted soon.
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
    • EarlyRetirement
    • By EarlyRetirement 5th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    EarlyRetirement
    NSD for me today 3/15

Took salad and fruit to work for lunch. Dinnner this evening is going to be simple,might even have beans on toast, in an I dont know what I want to eat mood.
    Dont need my car for work in the morning so I am going to walk in and back home.
    Have some work I need to finish this evening so not a lot else is going to get done here this evening.

Have a good evening all.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 7,933 Posts
    • 60,132 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Toni'sfriend - you sound a bit stir crazy from not being able to get out. Can you get outside in the late evening when it is cooler?

Tropically - take care and do try to relax and de-tense your neck/shoulders.
    NST November New Yorker #8; NSD 12/15; Ex 6/21 ; craft 50 (196); remove 16 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4509; 2
    018 sell £55.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Omg7kdebt
    • By Omg7kdebt 5th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Omg7kdebt
    Checking in. Grateful to be home!
    NSD 3/15. I haven't planned my weekly shop properly and so I'm a bit hungry. Believe me when I tell you I will not waste away between now and breakfast time (plenty of reserves) but I will remember that when I do my shopping.
    Going to a colleagues leaving do tomorrow. I have budgeted £10 but I'm not drinking at the moment so that should be ok for a couple of hours of diet coke.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 5th Jul 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 16,259 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Applemucher - I'm not a night person. Honestly not being in bed at nine o'clock is late for me. I've always been like that. As well, I don't like too much heat. Going to make a real effort tomorrow,
    Indigo - I will sort it out. Just feeling wabbit together with the boy's stuff being all over the house is getting me down a bit. Honestly, wouldn't take that much to make it so much better.
    Thank you both for your concern.
    Last edited by Toni'sfriend; 05-07-2018 at 7:33 PM. Reason: mistake
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 5th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 7,933 Posts
    • 60,132 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for getting zcut power yoga #2 done, for dd enjoying her football match, for getting to watch some of her match, for the breeze picking up this evening, for going through a gazillion fabric swatches to select only what we love, for good books, for colleagues who make me laugh.
    NST November New Yorker #8; NSD 12/15; Ex 6/21 ; craft 50 (196); remove 16 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4509; 2
    018 sell £55.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 5th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 28,611 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Life's always throwing a curve ball when you least need it. Financially one step fwd two back. Our 40 year old built in freezer finally packed in (nothing today would last that long anyway). Hopefully can save most till Sat in the fridge or eat it when the new one comes. Got a cheap fridge/freezer (£250) till we do the kitchen in two years. That way we also get the extra fridge space while the old one is still working (40 yo too). Fridge/freezer wasnt much dearer than a freezer alone.
    Last edited by thriftylass; 05-07-2018 at 7:53 PM.
    NST Nov in NY
    SFD8/20 spends 260/430
    Exercise 7/20
    Debt - all 0% 500 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 100504 (11/18) OP 0
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 5th Jul 18, 8:36 PM
    • 5,309 Posts
    • 42,033 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all

Just checking in to claim NSD #1
    Still need to do this month's charity donation
    And update spreadsheet re spends over the last few days

• Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 5th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 24,861 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    apple muncher and mothernerd - Thank you.
    Sending hugs to those in need of one.
    NSD 5/20 NSD achieved today.
    Will be making donations this month to charity. Still to do.
    Set - Done the budget for the month.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into this.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Getting a letter from the tax department to say I am owed £24.60. Sorted it out online, so should get it in 5 working days.
    Spent time with my friend. She brought pizza for us both.
    Having a good night sleep.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Walked to/from bus stop to work also walking around school doing errands today.
    Unless - Not needed today.
    Lose - Done some decluttering and put some items aside for cs.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Nst november in new york NSD 11/20
    • swimminginaseaofdebt
    • By swimminginaseaofdebt 5th Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    swimminginaseaofdebt
    Evening everyone,

Day 5 update:
    • Budgets - £200 food/other spends and £100 social spends - £52.87 food/other spends and £13.59 social spends
    • Check in everyday - 5/31
    • Jump - walked to playgroup, then the supermarket and back home
    SPC11 #564 - £186.83
    SPC12 #564 - In Progress
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 5th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 28,611 Thanks
    thriftylass
    The freezer was completely defrosted and just started working again!!! Just defrosted it 4 weeks ago, so ice built up definitely not the problem. Will hopefully last till the new one arrives.
    NST Nov in NY
    SFD8/20 spends 260/430
    Exercise 7/20
    Debt - all 0% 500 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 100504 (11/18) OP 0
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 5th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 6,873 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Tropically I really feel for you with the anxiety as I suffer too. Acupuncture definitely worth a go if you can find anyone. I went 2years ago out of absolute desperation when I had severe morning sickness. I was broken with it (I had hyperemisis- I was being sick all day every day & when I wasn't I felt sick)& it worked miracles. I was do dubious but it was amazing!! Hope you feel better soon xx
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 5th Jul 18, 11:25 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,725 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 12 checking in

Hi all

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20.... now 3/13

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Have been sorting but it is a big task, not made easier by being unwell for the past few days & find the hot weather difficult especially when unwell. Will record progress on here to call me to account. Must view house as massive shop full of items which can be (mostly) sold. Have already discovered loads of clothes etc than I can either wear or sell. Also have makeup & toiletries, need not buy any of those either..still a bit poorly but managed to wash & iron some clothes & list a few on FB selling sites. One sold straight away but they've not paid yet, if the others don't go I will list on ebay..looks like all 3 people who expressed interest paid up, so 3 items sold..will post them out tomorrow & list more. Posted out 3 items today, plus one for DD. Didn't list any more today, but DH liberated some more boxes from large shed, so have more to trawl through tomorrow. Not actually listed any more but spent a very hot hour this morning in the 'big shed' so called because it's like 2 sheds stuck together. Trawled through quite a few boxes & found more carp to sell, but first it has to be washed. Did 2 wash loads & will start listing tomorrow, as I caught sight of the boxes in the double garage...lots and lots..

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weigh (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens.. Still £44.26 so far..plus £5 voucher for doing a survey; £49.26

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Have found more stuff especially shoes to go. Must ramp this up as go away 3 weeks today...

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. DH & DD went shopping & PO, big mistake as DD brought back 2 extra large chickens she got for only £2.50 each, very pleased with her bargains bless her.....Just what I needed more food to be used right away... Cooked one, need to think of what to do with the other ( no room in freezers) PDQ! DH renegotiated BB deal with Virgin yesterday, they assured him deal would still be available today. Took 45 mins of argument, ask to speak to a manager, etc etc before they agreed to honour it...no wonder folk give up in disgust. Should save us £300 per year..no shopping today of any kind thankfully, value or otherwise..

Every Checking in 5/31

Gratitudes: cooler breeze this evening; hm curries for tea; antics of new kitten; DD going to her own home tomorrow night

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this. In the garden this morning & tonight, mainly to water..not much actual gardening possible..

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Nope

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    So far have put on a pound & made £49

Yearly we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Making big list tomorrow; also one of items to take to Ireland with us; menu planning; will be a very listy day tomorrow..

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 624 Posts
    • 6,873 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Good morning Turtles,

Yesterday was NSD #3. I have £100 left in my budget but that's because I have added some things to my budget. I am off next week with the kids so I've put some cheap activities in there

The car is being over paid on Monday by £270. This is our big push now , I've budgeted to over pay it every month from September but it's also something we don't have to pay if an emergency crops up etc.

Off into town later & I'm going to walk it's 4 miles so it's a fair walk there & back & it saves on petrol !!

Been on a mission to use things up. I have put things on the side in the bathroom to remind me to use them.

Not much else to report. Hope everyone has a fab day.
    • indigowarrior
    • By indigowarrior 6th Jul 18, 8:24 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 5,047 Thanks
    indigowarrior
    Good Morning Everyone.
    Went to bed quite early last night. I have allowed £3 a day spend until the 20th. I need today to be an nsd lol.
    #545- SPC September No Spend 4/15
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 6th Jul 18, 9:02 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 37,718 Thanks
    dolly84
    tropically - I suffer with bad headahes too, I started with migraines at 5 years old but they are rare now but I do have a headache most days so I empathise. One of the senior GP's at our doctors did acupuncture at the surgery, if a medical professional rates it there must be something in it.

thriftylass - what a time for the freezer to pack up, hope it lasts a few more days. I wonder if you will see a saving on electricity with a new one compared to the old one.

Did a Tesco click and collect shop yesterday and had to have some items refunded, the packers had put tins on my bags of flour and split them and put potatoes and carrots on top of all the soft fruits and squished them - who are these people?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,879 Posts
    • 16,197 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    My courgette plants are covered in big yellow blooms and tiny courgettes are forming!

They will probably start to be ready just before I go away for 2 weeks. DH will have to pick them or I will come back to marrows, and nobody likes marrows.

More painting of skirting and coving today, possibly might push the boat out and go mad and paint the window sills too, depends on time.

Today I am celebrating reaching the ground floor jobs!
    Which is at least a little more sociable coming into the weekend.

Gratitudes
    Whoever invented anti-histamines - I salute you!
    Alcohol free beer - I cannot bring myself to drink around my kids, just in case.
    Low smell paint - nobody knows what I have done while they are out at work/school.
    Having a plan.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 Mar 18 £108,504.72Apr £108,099May £106,999Jun 105,999.Jul 105,300Aug £103,999 Sept £102,999 Oct 101,999November £101,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,564Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter