Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • greent
    • By greent 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    • 7,507Posts
    • 76,185Thanks
    greent
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July!
    • 30th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    NST 07/2018 - Survive July! 30th Jun 18 at 10:17 AM
    • The challenge runs from 1st - 31st July 2018
    • NSDs - if you like to monitor NSDs, choose either the gentler target of 13 or the stretching target of 20 - or set your own somewhere in between! Usual exceptions (fuel, YS items, medical (inc for animals!) etc) apply
    • Remember others - donate money/ items/ time to a charity of your choice. Helping at PTA events comes under this! As do Random Acts of Kindness (RAOKs)
      Pay to your debts or savings FIRST and live off the rest

• Set your budgets
    • Use things up - not just food in cupboards & freezer, but toiletries and excess cleaning products etc - share your wins! Using something up instead of buying something else is
    • Revisit those targets you set back in January. We are halfway through the year !!!8211; how are you doing? - do you need to tweak things to stay/ get back on track or set some new targets/ aims?
    • Vacation time !!!8211; school hols have started for those in Scotland, I believe. For England & Wales the school hols will start this month. Budget accordingly - what free or low cost things can you find to do? - especially for any rainy times. Maybe check local faceb00k pages for details of what!!!8217;s on and any offers. And for those with no bother for school holiday periods, they may be planning their Summer getaways or days out. Make the most of any memberships you have (you've already paid for them, after all! ) and any vouchers you can find. Gr0up0n sometimes has good deals for different things to do - check the local page for anywhere you plan on visiting to see if there are deals on local attractions/ restaurants.
    • Inspire others - share your ideas on here of things to do with kids/ how to keep holiday costs down/ what things you!!!8217;ve used up (especially if you!!!8217;ve used them as a substitute for something)
    • Value for money -research for any planned (or unexpected ) spends. Don't forget cashback sites for purchases. Often banks seem to have offers you can activate for cashback on debit card purchases - if you're going to spend then getting some money back is a bonus!
    • Every day - check in and also remember your daily gratitudes.

• Jump - or run, garden, swim, walk !!!8211; we all know that being active is good for us - ideally 3 or more sessions a week. Take care in warm weather and stay hydrated.
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Picnics for days out are great - maybe have a budget for ice creams and extra drinks for the way home. Social plans are hopefully already thought of (birthday meals/ takeaways/ night in pub for football etc) and can be budgeted accordingly
    • Lose the excess. Most of us have too much stuff. Declutter. Use things up. Donate to a worthwhile cause. Sell books/ CDs/ old games on Z1ff1t/ Mus1c Magp1e (not forgetting to go through a cashback site first) Sell on flebay/ gumtree/ faceb00k/ car boot sale - any money made can either be put towards debt/ savings or maybe summer treats (you all know your own situations and what would work for you) If there's excess weight, maybe jump/ run/ walk a little more and be mindful of what you are eating. Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing (we keep an ongoing list of large and small jobs and try to knock something off it each month)/ any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time to think about this. Perhaps draw up a list of birthdays between now and January and also a Xmas list and keep an eye out for items/ put money aside monthly. Don't forget yourself -make a list of what you!!!8217;d like for Xmas and then you'll be prepared when asked!

So come along for the journey, Turtles - let's encourage one another to not just survive July, but to enjoy it as well! xx
    Last edited by greent; 02-07-2018 at 3:58 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £718.06/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
Page 13
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 12th Jul 18, 12:07 AM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,703 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 12 checking in
    Hi all

Will be a short check in as late tonight..

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20....now 6/13

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Took some stuff to CS and will sort more tonight ready for listing tomorrow. No listing done today...too much other stuff tbh.

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weight (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens.. Still £44.26 so far..plus £5 voucher for doing a survey; £49.26 Another £3 voucher today: still £52.26. Have more to add, just need to total up. Still £134.12, less postage.

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Have found more stuff especially shoes to go. Must ramp this up as go away 3 weeks today...clock is ticking..have found many items to take with us and many to sell..started selling & will group items to take together, have made a list. Bought a shower head to try here first, if it's ok will get a couple to take with us to kinda update the showers over there. Also had an idea to use suction bags to pack so can take more with us when we go; also can use the bags to store things in over there so they don't get damp. No inspiration today; spent morning helping DH to wrench off old (broken) toilet seat in downstairs wc, then fitting new one. Very small space, very incompetent workers, very hot, much swearing (not from me). Finally done so now you don't think you're going to fall off when you sit down . Then had to clean said tiny room, took ages..then had to clean other room as friend was coming (she didn't come last week, so a lot of clothes/junk/books/papers somehow had taken up residence in the interim). Consequently large list I confidently made last night did not get done...boo

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. Picked a load of raspberries from the garden this afternoon; then DD brought round some ones she got YS for 50p a punnet; I see some jam in my near future...if I can bear to go in the kitchen that is..Leftovers for lunch for us today; then DD came round for tea, she had her first sick day off in 18 months, but when she felt better, was very bored at home..no jam or jelly made today though I did throw together some raspberry cheesecakes for pud, turned out very tasty although - apparently - 'too small'

Every Checking in 11/31

Gratitudes: Visit from friend and chance to sit down whilst chatting to her; her bringing me a load of books; cooler this evening but still no rain; tasty supper..

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this.Out early to water plants & fill fishpond up a bit.

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Nope.

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    So far have put on a pound in weight & made £134.12 - more to come. Lost the pound I put on last week..no change

Yearly we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Making big list this weekend; also one of items to take to Ireland with us; menu planning; will be a very listy weekend. Did a bit of the Irish list. No listing, too chaotic today. And today too busy as stint in CS. None today either but did give friend a pair of Birkenstocks from massive shoe collection.

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7,507 Posts
    • 76,185 Thanks
    greent
    Days 10 & 11
    • NSDs - 2
    • Remember others - DD to charity gone out. Another item added to CS bag.
    • Pay to your debts or savings first - DONE - + £80 OP to BTL
    • Set budgets. Food 93.14/475. Fuel 0/65 Gifts 15/30 Toiletries 0/10 Cleaning 5.68/10 DD uni stuff 35.98/50 Clothes 5/100 Social 37.50/75
    • Use things up Still ongoing. Have spaces in freezer - and in 'spare toiletries' c-o-d - working on having enough space to fit spare loo rolls in there
      )
    • Revisit targets you set back in January. - Done. [/COLOR]
    • Vacation time No idea whether we're going on hol in Oct (not booking until after A level results) and no real plans made for summer hols with the kids - must get thinking cap on!
    • Inspire others -
    • Value for money -Have made a list for smkts today of what to get where for best prices
    • Every day - here Am STILL thankful for the weather, for OH's expenses claim (rescued sick looking c/ac!) and for Tesc0 having black school PE shorts at 7am one morning (last minute announcement that they were required for a drama performance by DS1)

• Jump - None
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. -food out yesterday - OH paid but I did keep cost down.
    • Lose the excess. Too small 3/4 jeans of DD added to CS bag. Battered (falling apart) walking boots of OH's added to recycling bag for binmen today (bought new ones for £5!!!!! at start of year from M0unta1n Wareh0use sale )
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing / any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time - will make a list of people with bdays and those I need to get Xmas presents for and make a start, even if it is putting money aside.
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • greent
    • By greent 12th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 7,507 Posts
    • 76,185 Thanks
    greent
    Day 12
    • NSDs - 2
    • Remember others - DD to charity gone out. Another item added to CS bag. £1.50 donation for non-uniform for DS2 today to a Teenage MH charity
    • Pay to your debts or savings first - DONE - + £80 OP to BTL
    • Set budgets. Food 160.91/475 (just bought 6 bottles of my fave wine @ 25% off + £2 cback). Fuel 0/65 Gifts 15/30 Toiletries 2/10 Cleaning 5.68/10 DD uni stuff 35.98/50 Clothes 5/100 Social 37.50/75
    • Use things up Still ongoing. Have spaces in freezer - and in 'spare toiletries' c-o-d - working on having enough space to fit spare loo rolls in there Need to buy some nuts (pretty much any sort but OH keeps eating them) to make pesto as basil plant has gone crazy!
      )
    • Revisit targets you set back in January. - Done.
    • Vacation time No idea whether we're going on hol in Oct (not booking until after A level results) and no real plans made for summer hols with the kids - must get thinking cap on!
    • Inspire others -
    • Value for money -Have made a list for smkts today of what to get where for best prices - Used £9 off £60 shop coupon, got £4 cashback through apps and got 25% off my fave wine.
    • Every day - here Shopping apps, coupons and offers! Dry weather - if cooler today. My children - they're great!
    • Jump - None
    • Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. -food out yesterday - OH paid but I did keep cost down.
    • Lose the excess. Too small 3/4 jeans of DD added to CS bag. Battered (falling apart) walking boots of OH's added to recycling bag for binmen today (bought new ones for £5!!!!! at start of year from M0unta1n Wareh0use sale )
    • Yearly plans -we are halfway through 2018. If you haven't planned on how to finance Christmas/ birthdays in the second half of the year/ DIY things which need doing / any holiday plans you may have - NOW is the time - will make a list of people with bdays and those I need to get Xmas presents for and make a start, even if it is putting money aside. Have started a list of things I'd like as presents (so far = new bottle of fave perfume and fave 'posh-ish' toiletries )
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 12th Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 6,711 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Hi All

Today is NSD #6.

I only have £67 left now until I get paid so I need to be so careful. Luckily Saturday's entertainment is a free/very cheap family's day at our local park. This is put on by the military and usually there are bouncy castles etc on for the kids. Last year they were giving out freebies too.

I have put my name down for 4 days worth of over time .While my hub is off work & I don't need to pay childcare I can't turn it down. It is a bit of a pain doing it but I know I will be grateful for it come August.

That is all I have to report, I am skint but cheerful we are on track to cross the £10,000 mark in our house savings come October & although we don't have much cash this month we are doing pretty well on finding free entertainment. kids not sick of the park just yet!!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 12th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 16,082 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Checkup at the doctors this morning. Blood pressure up, weight up, lung function down. Didn't get a gold star! So meal plan healthy diet to reduce blood pressure and weight and start a serious walking regime to up lung function and reduce weight. Totally my own fault.
    i was going for lunch with the cousins on Wednesday but my neighbour has asked if I'll look after her little ones whilst the rest of the family are at her mother's funeral so that will have to wait for another day.
    Small spend on shampoo and conditioner.
    Oh well, onwards and upwards.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Jul 18, 5:04 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    dolly84
    Did a click and collect grocery shop today, I have a very large stock of things now so next week I am going to try and just get perishables and use other things from the freezer and cupboard to go with them.

Cycled this morning. It's been cloudy today but the washing still dried outside.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 35,227 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone,
    Busy couple of days so I haven't managed to report in. Work is busy and then home is busy as well - plus my blimming hay fever keeps wiping me out so that all I want to do is sleep when I get home.
    Hope everyone is doing ok - thinking of you Toni'sfriend, Early and Mothernerd and hugs to everyone else that needs them.
    I have made a massive step forward financially by signing up for YNAB and setting up my budget - on the recommendation of people on here. Fingers crossed that this works for me. I had a nsd yesterday, but not today as I needed to shop for pizza before I came home from work. I'm exhausted and ds is ill so I just grabbed from Mr A - otherwise we would have ended up with takeaway....

Nothing much else to report - I'm keeping the faith as best as I can and just hoping to survive until the summer hols next week...
    November in NY #20 NSD = 7 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 12th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Not an NSD today but had an unexpected bonus in the form of a payout for my PPI claim! Hand sensibly allocated most of it to the CC and summer savings pots, but have also indulged in a new book and will be sloping off to a yarn shop tomorrow to indulge in a nice skein of something. It means being able to put more into savings from my monthly salary but only as long as I don't overspend!
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 12th Jul 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 24,764 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD 8/20 Was an NSD today. I did go to M&S on way home to get a few things, but used a voucher that I had, so no money spent.
    Set - Done the budget for the month.
    Use - Will definitely be doing this. Still trying to using up things already in.
    Revisit - Am going to set new goals. Made a list of goals and bucket list.
    Vacation - Not going on holiday. Planning to have some days out/experiences. Done 2 days out already.
    Inspire - Will try.
    Value - Will look into other ways to save for days out etc.
    Every - Have done. Grateful for:
    Still managing to have good night's sleep.
    Getting home at a reasonable time.
    Doing self-care today.
    Jump - Will definitely do walking as it will help my mental health also. Walked to bus stop from work and some walking around the school doing errands.
    Unless - No need today.
    Lose - Done decluttering for now. Still need to take items to cs.
    Yearly - Have made a list as to what needs to done or going out trips/experiences/voluntary work for rest of the year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2018
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    Nst november in new york NSD 7/20
    • plumduff55
    • By plumduff55 12th Jul 18, 8:02 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 4,349 Thanks
    plumduff55
    NSD 10/20 for me today. As I was expecting it'll be harder for me now. My monthly shop would be due on the 15th and I'm beginning to run out of stuff. I'm not going to do the big grocery shop and will just buy bits and bobs that I cant do without, hopefully within my £50 budget.

It was dull and cloudy although still warm when I had the lentil soup for lunch. Never like eating soup in the summer. I know it's daft !!!

I used up the last of the cheese salad on a baked potato for dinner.

My ex-colleague visited today. We usually meet at a local garden centre but much more frugal meeting at my house. I baked vanilla cupcakes and they were delish. The only thing I miss about work is the chat with lovely people - it was great catching up but still glad I'm retired xx
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 12th Jul 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 27,158 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Spendy day for me (will have to check through and update signature in a minute). I had an appointment with the practice nurse at 9.30am (Carer's health check) which they had decided on and then notified me. Woke early but had a doze and felt horrible when I woke. Decided on a taxi so went to the office.

Saw nurse (lovely girl started as a receptionist and then did her training but stayed with our practice throughout) congratulated her (pregnant) then talked a few things through (walking, healthy eating, drink more water). There were notes that the doctor wanted me to have my bloods done again and also wanted to speak to me about inflammatory markers (she wasn't allowed to tell me what it meant).

Back to reception and added myself onto the doctor queue (only the locum still available, 3 in front of me and she didn't start until 10am). Finally got in to see her, markers meant there might be some infection, gave me a bottle to do a urine test and then tell reception who would notify her and she would call me back.

Sacrificed one of my paper cups as I didn't rate my chances of getting a sample into a bottle with a 1.5 cm width. Back to queuing. Back to the doctor. I poured and she dipped (no sterile gloves), positive for infection. Checked my chest. Prescription for anti-biotics, note for reception to send the sample to the lab and second set of bottle/ paperwork to retest after the course of anti-biotics. If it's clear, then I can have the bloods done.

Back to reception, sample needed to be in a red top bottle for sending off. Back to toilet, poured sample from one bottle to another. Back to reception. handed over old bottle for specialist disposal, packaged red top, took it to the lab. Back to pharmacy, handed in prescription, would be 15 minutes. Had taken aver a litre of water with me but bought a bacon barm (second breakfast, hobbit rules as first breakfast was at 5.45 am and we were now a few minutes short of noon), a baked potato for lunch and a chocolate biscuit - total £3.25.

Ate sandwich, back to pharmacy, arrived just as they called my name. Sat and read until the little bus was due. Bought an all day any bus ticket as £2 to home, £2 to come back for therapist appointment and £2 home again would have been dearer. Got off in town centre, picked up ibruprofen, hayfever tablets and toilet rolls from £1 emporium + a couple of bits.

RAKs Gave one of my paper cups to a man in the surgery - they make you go to reception to ask for a paper cup and as we had to keep asking the (new) receptionist to open the door for people (and had to send someone looking for an old man who's name kept coming up on the board when he had gone through the first time - but obviously sat in an empty room). The woman at the taxi office had been having a bad day - she had too few drivers and was shouted and sworn at by a telephone customer and a drunk who wandered in, so I bought her a pack of r o l o s and a pen with a furry animal on the end (grey, cuter than the 'unicorn' one), dropped it off at the office on the way home (left with one of the other girls).

1pm felt absolutely wiped out. Baked potato was still piping hot and I have finished reading the book I started last night because of all the 'waiting'. Not how I saw the day panning out. Took first anti-biotic which made me dizzy. Went to therapist appointment, next appointment, in a fortnight, will be the last session. Bought food on the way home.

Have tried to restore a bit of order by shoving a wash in the machine, tackling the worst of the rubbish with help from the grabber stick and finding the sink (beneath a layer of pots, noodles, food scraps and grease) and started the first batch of washing up.

WE have rain - wow, may go outside and dance in it.

Today I am grateful to my doctors for taking such good care of me, for cameraderie amongst the patient patients, for the book I have completed (had to go back to the library for more books as I cannot hold a hardback atm), for my lovely therapist.
    This year I will be fierce
    NST Nov #1 SFD 5/20 Food£59.03/£180 Travel £3.20/£12 Ent/diy £14/£12 Ext DS3 bed and mattress
    No Debt No mortgage
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 13th Jul 18, 12:02 AM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 27,703 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 12 checking in

Hi all

Will try for 13 NSDs & hope to get nearer to 20....now 7/13

Set your budgets not yet done
    Use Most definitely want to do this; have a mountain of food & stuff to clear. Took some stuff to CS and will sort more tonight ready for listing tomorrow. No listing done today...too much other stuff tbh. Did some sorting. Had a disturbed night & a long list; so I decided that I wouldn't beat myself up over not listing, but do it tomorrow.

Revisit Targets were like other peoples I think, to lose weight (not really); to declutter - some progress; to stop wasting money - also some progress there..will list any weight losses/stuff leaving the house/money gained by selling...when it happens.. Still £44.26 so far..plus £5 voucher for doing a survey; £49.26 Another £3 voucher today: still £52.26. Have more to add, just need to total up. Still £134.12, less postage.

Vacation Have already booked to go to Ireland for 3 weeks from July; aim to sell some stuff to pay for spends over there. Will also be planning some days out & at least another visit to the Old Country later in the year, probably 2. Have found more stuff especially shoes to go. Must ramp this up as go away 3 weeks today...clock is ticking..have found many items to take with us and many to sell..started selling & will group items to take together, have made a list. Bought a shower head to try here first, if it's ok will get a couple to take with us to kinda update the showers over there. Also had an idea to use suction bags to pack so can take more with us when we go; also can use the bags to store things in over there so they don't get damp. Did some stuff off list which includes booking MOTs for both cars. Dh has mananged to reawaken the oldest car - so fingers crossed for both vehicles.

Value Always do try to use cashback sites where possible, and find value for money in shopping. Also have a card which gives me vouchers; and do some work which pays in vouchers too. Use cheaper supermarkets & have HB & Fultons here as well, which are both good for some stuff. Picked a load of raspberries from the garden this afternoon; then DD brought round some ones she got YS for 50p a punnet; I see some jam in my near future...if I can bear to go in the kitchen that is. No jam making but did make healthy cake (!) - similar to a teabread with no sugar used. Tastes OK to me; DH reserving judgement, which is a shame as it made a massive cake..

Every Checking in 12/31

Gratitudes: Phone call from elderly friend who had a very serious procedure last week & I hadn't heard from...she is OK, thank goodness; signs of life on a plant that looks like a collection of dead sticks; for migraine medication so I don't suffer like my mother did.

Jump No jumping here either but in the garden every day when possible. Do try to drink water but struggle with this. Out early to water plants in greenhouse; then a bit later for rest as promised rain still not here...

Unless budgeted, no takeaways, coffee shops, lunches out etc. Hmmmm…

Perhaps keep track on here of items/ lbs lost and £s made:
    So far have put on a pound in weight & made £134.12 - more to come. Lost the pound I put on last week..no more sales as yet, not surprising as done no listings..

Yearly we are halfway through 2018. Good idea, will have a big list of outside jobs that need doing/big/small & in between. Making big list this weekend; also one of items to take to Ireland with us; menu planning; will be a very listy weekend. Did a bit of the Irish list. No listing, too chaotic today. And today too busy as stint in CS. Made list from yesterday & today, did manage to crack a few items off

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Jul 18, 9:32 AM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    dolly84
    The kids have got their sports day today so a shorter journey this morning to the athletics club where they hold it, have to pick them up at lunchtime though so a short day for me to get things done.

After lunch I am going to pop to a big Asda and get DS some school shirts for next year and a birthday present to put away for DD's birthday in December, will also call into the uniform shop to get a new blazer for DD for next year.

All the above spends are budgeted for obviously.

It's drizzly here this morning and cool, I know we need some rain but it just never knows when to stop when it starts.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 13th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 16,077 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Last day of school here today.
    One set breaks at 12pm one set breaks at 3pm

I have not bought teacher gifts. Sorry teachers, I give at Christmas, but not at the end of term. The bags and bags and boxes going in each classroom door actually made me feel uncomfortable, as it is accepted that this is the normal way of things now. I asked one of the teachers at Christmas if they all sat and played swapsies in the staff room andif they gave anything to the office staff, the teacher looked horrified and said absolutely not, if it had a name on it it went home with that teacher, they did not even share with the teaching assistants!!

So at Christmas I give each adult class member a gift, but not at the end of term.

I will not miss the school run. I will miss the 5 minutes of adult conversation a day on the playground.

I am trying not to dwell on the Ireland trip, I am looking forward to 1st August when I am back at home.

Today is house tidying and laundry and a bit of food shopping.

Have a great day turtles still on NSD5 and still well within budget
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 : Oct17 - £109,495.00Dec17 £108,800Jan 18 £108,392.98 Mar 18 £108,504.72Apr £108,099May £106,999Jun 105,999.Jul 105,300Aug £103,999 Sept £102,999 Oct 101,999November £101,300.00
    NEXT GOAL is sub £100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 16,082 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I've never really understood this whole teacher gift thing (again sorry teachers). It never happened when my son was at school (admittedly some years ago now) and it seems to have got totally out of hand. A lady if worked with gave presents (and they weren't cheap!) at Christmas and end of term to the teacher, teaching assistants, head teacher, deputy head and lollypop man. There may even have been others. Is it really necessary? Surely if you want the child to say thank you they can make a card.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 13th Jul 18, 11:30 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 28,478 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Hello,

Not an SFD today as I'll pick up an Asda tonight. Had to stock up on some cupboard staples, spices, almond milk (although I'll try my own hemp milk tonight, bought unhulled seeds for some reason one day but they're inedible) and the usual.

Re:
    teachers gift. We don't do that at all. All they get is a nice card made by DS at Christmas. What would they do with 20-30 gifts twice a year??? Just seems odd to me (playing my non native card here )

DS will need new school uniform trousers and shirts but I think I hold off till August as he's eating like a horse just now i.e. must be growing. Was a bit chilly last night and both children wanted to wear their onesies from last winter. Erm, might need new ones soon . DD has grown an inch just since her birthday at the end of March.
    NST Nov in NY
    SFD 6/20 spends 260/430
    Exercise 6/20
    Debt - all 0% 500 to go from 5290
    DFD 11/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 100504 (11/18) OP 0
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 5,298 Posts
    • 41,943 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hello,

Re:
    teachers gift. We don't do that at all. All they get is a nice card made by DS at Christmas. What would they do with 20-30 gifts twice a year??? Just seems odd to me (playing my non native card here )
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    It is quite a recent thing Thrifty, probably another marketing thing / import from the US It wasn't heard of when my children went to school.

• GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 13th Jul 18, 12:31 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    I don't do teacher gifts either. I will ask the boys if they want to make cards, and I might pick up something nice for the office as they get all the hassle!
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 13th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 37,587 Thanks
    dolly84
    I don't give teacher gifts either, it is a job for which they are paid.

I read something this week that said 1 in 12 of all working women in this country is employed in a school - I can believe it. The primary school my children went to employs over 45 staff and that doesn't include lunch time staff, they had to divulge their wages bill on a newsletter once and it was over £1 million per year for just that one school and that was when they had less staff, we have 6 primary schools within a stones throw of each other - how does this country afford this?

After wall to wall sunshine it rained pretty heavily all the way through the sports day and is now sunny again - typical.
    Last edited by dolly84; 13-07-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 13th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 16,082 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Thank you all for your good wishes. You are such nice people.
    Today was NSD No 7.
    I've been fairly good eating and drinking wise. I've had a good talk to Himself. He's a lovey, kind man but I have had to really stress that my weight problem is affecting my health. I know that to look at me I don't look massive but I have to accept that I am now in the obese category and I have to do seriously do something about it. I think that is a bit of the problem. I just look a little tubby - no rolls of fat. We think we eat fairly healthily and we do but all the little treats are adding up and stop me losing pounds. I have asked him not to buy my the odd bar of chocolate, bottle of wine, etc. and to please support and encourage me in this. First thing is cutting out sugar and fat and see where we get to. Perhaps little steps is the way to go. Have to say yesterday gave me a bit of a wake up call.
    So, haven't much more to report that.
    Hope you are all well and have a good weekend. xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

50Posts Today

2,508Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin