Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 30th Jun 18, 8:17 AM
    • 385Posts
    • 178Thanks
    alanrp123
    Mobile phone purchase
    • 30th Jun 18, 8:17 AM
    Mobile phone purchase 30th Jun 18 at 8:17 AM
    In October last year, I purchased a new mobile phone from a company on Ebay, plenty of good feedback. I paid cash, via paypal,, and everything was OK, the phone is a Huawei Mate 9, cost £399.
    Worked perfectly until 2 months ago, then kept losing mobile data connection.
    Did a factory reset, obtained a new sim, did not fix the problem.
    Contacted both ebay and paypal, neither wanted to know, contacted Huawei Uk, gave them the IMEI number, and they told me the phone was meant for the Singapore market only, and was not for sale in UK, so they would not honour the guarantee.
    I have requested a refund from the company, but all they say is return the phone!!, no mention of a refund.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Jun 18, 11:15 AM
    • 11,093 Posts
    • 4,808 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 30th Jun 18, 11:15 AM
    • 30th Jun 18, 11:15 AM
    Fairly common for out of market phones to be sold on EBay .
    As its over six months old you don't have an actual right to a refund under Consumer Law.

Has the phone had an update since purchase ??
    That could be the problem as it would be non UK firmware and not see your network .
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 30th Jun 18, 1:40 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 30th Jun 18, 1:40 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 1:40 PM
    Like with Nokia you would have a 'nokia finland' phone or an 'asian nokia'.The asian market ones would be cheaper in the uk when imported via ebayers usually.
    Most of the uk market were nokia finland.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 1st Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 32,769 Posts
    • 20,639 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 1st Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    I guess you didnt notice if the ad mentioned if the phone was for another market.

Who was the seller, can pm me the seller if you dont want to post it on here.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 01-07-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 2nd Jul 18, 4:08 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    alanrp123
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:08 PM
    Phone
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:08 PM
    The ad did not mention anything about origin, I am now in contact with them, and they want me to return the phone, to a UK address, which I will do.
    Will post as to the result.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 32,769 Posts
    • 20,639 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:19 PM
    The ad did not mention anything about origin, I am now in contact with them, and they want me to return the phone, to a UK address, which I will do.
    Will post as to the result.
    Originally posted by alanrp123

Just make sure you use a suitable method.
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 8th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    alanrp123
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    Answer
    • 8th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    jtbcglobal-uk, this is the name of the company, I have now packed the phone and am sending it back.
    I have asked for a full refund on the £399.00 I paid for it, will let you know the result!!.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 60,936 Posts
    • 43,507 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    jtbcglobal-uk, this is the name of the company, I have now packed the phone and am sending it back.
    I have asked for a full refund on the £399.00 I paid for it, will let you know the result!!.
    It's a foreign seller- their ebay page shows : Member since: 15-May-17 in Singapore. Their feedback is 96.7% and actually getting better, back when you bought the phone their feedback must have been shocking. Also whilst I can only see back to April, all their sales are from outside the UK.

I'm not sure why you would be surprised to buy a phone from Singapore that is meant for the Singapore market?

A bit more digging shows these were always clearly marked as being sent from overseas- personally with a non UK seller I would not be sending this back anywhere as I can't see a way for you to ensure you will get anything back at all. Interestingly, as they are not UK registered they do not appear to have to show full business registration as UK sellers do.

before you bought as well one of their negatives is a worry and should have raised alarm bells:
    'Does not come with a UK spec plug. UK legislation states should have UK plug'
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 20th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    alanrp123
    • 20th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    Phone
    • 20th Jul 18, 8:30 AM
    Because their web site stated that the phone was international!!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 20th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Because their web site stated that the phone was international!!
    It is international. It just doesn't work in the UK.
    • macman
    • By macman 23rd Jul 18, 1:14 PM
    • 42,725 Posts
    • 17,988 Thanks
    macman
    I can't see that this fault has any connection with the origin or spec of the phone.
    OP, you are not going to get a full refund. You've had about 8m use out of it, so I'd guess it's value is now well under £200.
    The retailer can repair, replace or refund-their choice.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 21,224 Posts
    • 17,049 Thanks
    agrinnall
    The retailer can repair, replace or refund-their choice.
    Originally posted by macman

But as they are in Singapore not the UK it's their legislation that would apply - do you know if that includes the repair/refund/replace options?
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 2nd Aug 18, 5:14 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Exemplar
    It is international. It just doesn't work in the UK.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Love the fact that some people assume that the UK is the centre of the universe...

International does NOT mean that the UK is covered as a Singapore company may assume that Pan-Asia is international.

Same as some EU devices will not work internationally in places like the US etc.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • macman
    • By macman 2nd Aug 18, 5:19 PM
    • 42,725 Posts
    • 17,988 Thanks
    macman
    The phone does work in the UK. It's the warranty that doesn't...
    I would not be returning the phone without some information from the seller or their UK contact about what warranty or repair they are offering.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 32,769 Posts
    • 20,639 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Any news OP ?
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 9th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    owen_money
    Love the fact that some people assume that the UK is the centre of the universe...
    Originally posted by Exemplar
    No assumption, it is
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • alanrp123
    • By alanrp123 12th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    alanrp123
    Result
    After aiting a long time, I took the seller to the small claims court.
    I received a refund from them within 24hrs, including the court costs, so a GREAT result!!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 21,224 Posts
    • 17,049 Thanks
    agrinnall
    After aiting a long time, I took the seller to the small claims court.
    I received a refund from them within 24hrs, including the court costs, so a GREAT result!!

Glad to hear you got your money back, presumably the seller was not in Singapore at all.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 12th Aug 18, 4:54 PM
    • 9,620 Posts
    • 58,178 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    How did you take them to the small claims when the seller is out of the UK.

This doesn't seem to ring true - only 3 weeks ago you were packing the phone up to send it back and in that time you have initiated small claims action and had a refund
    Last edited by Ms Chocaholic; 12-08-2018 at 4:57 PM.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • photome
    • By photome 13th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 13,517 Posts
    • 9,026 Thanks
    photome
    How did you take them to the small claims when the seller is out of the UK.

This doesn't seem to ring true - only 3 weeks ago you were packing the phone up to send it back and in that time you have initiated small claims action and had a refund
    Originally posted by Ms Chocaholic
    I was thinking the same,, the time scale doesnít seem to work
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,559Posts Today

9,307Users online

Martin's Twitter