Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jsj25
    • By jsj25 29th Jun 18, 9:24 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jsj25
    Viagogo
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:24 PM
    Viagogo 29th Jun 18 at 9:24 PM
    Evening, everyone

Has anyone here had any experience obtaining a refund from Viagogo at all? My dad has just managed to purchase tickets to a concert next year at exorbitant prices and I'm now doing my best to get his money back. Obviously they're throwing their no-cancellation policy at us but I'm sure there's more that can be done.

Viagogo appear to have listed the face value of the tickets on the sales page, and also itemised the 'VAT' fees, booking fees, etc, so they're covered on that front (quite why he went ahead and purchased at those ridiculous prices is another matter!). However, they didn't list the seat row or number because they claim the seller doesn't have this information yet. I've said it doesn't matter that they don't know this as it still contradicts the Consumer Rights Act 2015. I've also thrown the Consumer Contracts Regulations at them with regard to a cooling off period, though I understand that concerts aren't always covered by this. I'm sure they'll contest both of these points so we'll see where this goes.

I've also had him inform his credit card provider of the situation in the hope that, if necessary, they may be able to issue a chargeback. I've had a read of the venue's T&Cs and, as suspected, they've got a point about resold tickets being void. I've asked them to e-mail me with confirmation that the tickets, by virtue of being resold, will no longer be valid. I'll then get him to pass this back to the credit card company to prove that he won't be receiving what he's purchased.

On the basis of the above, how far do you think I'll get with this? I'm hoping that if the venue come back and say outright that reselling the tickets voids them, this will give the card company a lot of clout with the chargeback?
Page 1
    • bris
    • By bris 29th Jun 18, 9:52 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 6,864 Thanks
    bris
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:52 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:52 PM
    No rights to a refund and your father simply put, won't get one.

You can throw all the cooling off period rights at them all you want but as the don't count for concert tickets they will simply ignore you.

Charge back will fail as they have done nothing wrong, you father went ahead knowing what he was buying.
    • jsj25
    • By jsj25 29th Jun 18, 10:03 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jsj25
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:03 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:03 PM
    No rights to a refund and your father simply put, won't get one.

You can throw all the cooling off period rights at them all you want but as the don't count for concert tickets they will simply ignore you.

Charge back will fail as they have done nothing wrong, you father went ahead knowing what he was buying.
    Originally posted by bris
    Is this true, though? If the venue's terms and conditions stipulate that reselling tickets is not permitted and invalidates them, Viagogo are allowing their platform to be used to facilitate the sale of tickets that the venue have stated will be void. In reality, I understand that this happens all the time, but if they're challenged on this then, legally, how could that be contested?
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 29th Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:12 PM
    Challenge them legally then. The sooner these parasites go out of business, the better. Better still, stop feeding them. There's been a load of threads on here recently from people complaining about being "ripped off" by touts (and that's what they are). What do they expect? These companies exist and thrive because people are gullible and will pay well over the odds for tickets, then get buyer's remorse. Touts will exist as long as people are prepared to engage with them. Someone on here this week was happy to pay 560 for two tickets to see Britney Spears (yes, 560, you read that right) then complained when their touted tickets arrived and showed that they were originally sold at much less.

One day, the public might get their act together and one of these artists will face an empty auditorium.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • jsj25
    • By jsj25 29th Jun 18, 10:25 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jsj25
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:25 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:25 PM
    Challenge them legally then. The sooner these parasites go out of business, the better. Better still, stop feeding them. There's been a load of threads on here recently from people complaining about being "ripped off" by touts (and that's what they are). What do they expect? These companies exist and thrive because people are gullible and will pay well over the odds for tickets, then get buyer's remorse. Touts will exist as long as people are prepared to engage with them. Someone on here this week was happy to pay 560 for two tickets to see Britney Spears (yes, 560, you read that right) then complained when their touted tickets arrived and showed that they were originally sold at much less.

One day, the public might get their act together and one of these artists will face an empty auditorium.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Oh, I completely agree. I actually do a lot of work in ticketing (ironically enough) albeit in a different sector, and almost everyday I read e-mails from people who buy tickets from these awful websites, genuinely not realising that they're being ripped off. Yes, you do have to be a bit naive to buy from these touts - and I've made that very clear to my dad, who genuinely didn't know any better - but all the same I'd like to do my best to get some money back from him even if there's only a remote chance.

Looking at Viagogo's T&Cs, they've stated:
    Invalid tickets: If buyers are refused entry to the venue as a result of invalid tickets we may refund the buyer at any time.
    Bit concerned about the use of 'may' there, but what they've written implies that denial of entry to the venue is grounds for a refund. Obviously we won't know until the concert itself whether the tickets will actually work, but surely if the venue, as per their own T&Cs, confirm that the tickets are automatically void, there's no room for argument?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 30th Jun 18, 6:41 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 5,517 Thanks
    waamo
    • 30th Jun 18, 6:41 AM
    • 30th Jun 18, 6:41 AM
    They are foreign based touts. They don't care about UK consumer law let alone going beyond their legal obligations.

Some posters have reported getting most of their money back if refused entry to a venue which may apply if your dad gets turned away.
    This space for hire.
    • JohnHam
    • By JohnHam 7th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JohnHam
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    Having just fallen into the Viagogo trap myself, I've been thinking how I can cancel the transaction. Could the GDPR "right to be forgotten" be used? If you exercised this right and they had to remove your details from their system, they couldn't complete the transaction. Could you then file a dispute with the credit card company to get a refund?
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 7th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 4,104 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    I could not attend a Michael McIntyre performance and put them on Viagogo. I was very impressed, they sold quickly, I was paid five days after the event and the whole thing was seamless.

I would use them again.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Jul 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 3,041 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:51 AM
    • 7th Jul 18, 11:51 AM
    Having just fallen into the Viagogo trap myself, I've been thinking how I can cancel the transaction. Could the GDPR "right to be forgotten" be used? If you exercised this right and they had to remove your details from their system, they couldn't complete the transaction. Could you then file a dispute with the credit card company to get a refund?
    Originally posted by JohnHam
    GDPR doesn't apply when there is a contractual relationship - they would be entitled to keep your details.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 7th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    k3lvc
    I could not attend a Michael McIntyre performance and put them on Viagogo. I was very impressed, they sold quickly, I was paid five days after the event and the whole thing was seamless.

I would use them again.
    Originally posted by JReacher1

And this is exactly the issue - for every disgruntled user who shouts rip off/scam/fraud etc there are many who are happy with the services provided and it allows them to get access to otherwise unavailable tickets.

Until the industry takes a stand (and they're starting to with the creation of Twickets) then this will continue. The legality of the promotor to say the items can't be resold is dubious, especially within the EU, and I suspect moves to force ID upon entry would be unworkable (Sheeran apparently managed it in one of his locations but not all as was threatened on purchasing the original tickets)

As for the OP getting a refund from Viagogo - sorry but
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Jul 18, 2:46 PM
    • 10,275 Posts
    • 11,560 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    GDPR doesn't apply when there is a contractual relationship - they would be entitled to keep your details.
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    I would go further and say that not only are they entitled to keep the details, they are probably legally obligated to keep them.
    As it is a financial transaction, there would be many different reasons why the details must be kept for a number of years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,045Users online

Martin's Twitter