Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiffa
    • By tiffa 29th Jun 18, 7:14 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tiffa
    BT Misleading 18m packages
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:14 PM
    BT Misleading 18m packages 29th Jun 18 at 7:14 PM
    I am very unhappy with BT Broadband and I think they are being very misleading about their BT Broadband long term packages. I am sure there are many others in the same position as me?

In March 2018 I signed up for an 18 month Unlimited Infinity 1 and weekend calls package for 29.99 a month with price increasing to 41.99 after 18m. I assumed, and there was no indication otherwise, this was a fixed price for the 18m. However, I got a letter today to say the price per month is increasing by 2.50 in September this year and I have to act now to stop this happening! They gave a Bt.com reference which does do this but the price after 18 month would increase to 52.99 a month. I rang to complain but just got offered the same deal, which is essentially a new contract.

I was definitely under the impression that was a fixed price 18m contract and I can't believe BT have now changed the terms of this contract and are essentially forcing me onto a new contract.

Is it just me!
Page 2
    • Money_Grabber13579
    • By Money_Grabber13579 1st Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 2,943 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    Money_Grabber13579
    I may be thinking about this in the completely wrong way but the ability for the operators to increase prices at any point during a contract seems a bit unfair on the consumer. Not that I am necessarily complaining as at this stage, as I can make use of new customer offers but in an extreme case, could the consumer not be at a serious disadvantage?

Say, for example, there are a choice of 2 providers. One offers broadband and line rental for 20 a month and the other offers the same for 22 a month (both offers include new customer discounts on standard rates of 10 per month). I chose to go with the first provider and pay 20 a month. However, 6 months into the contract, the first provider increases their discounted prices by 10 a month.

I have the option to carry on with my contract paying 30 a month or leave and switch to provider 2. However, within the time frame of 30 days to switch, provider 2 doesn!!!8217;t have any special offers and so their price would be an undiscounted 32 a month. However, provider 2 hasn!!!8217;t raised their prices and if I had signed up 6 months ago, would have been continuing to pay 22 a month.

I appreciate that this is a very extreme example and may never happen in practice however, does the ability of the providers to raise prices at any point in a contract not have the potential to seriously disadvantage the consumer, in that with the benefit of hindsight, they could have signed up for a different provider that may have been more expensive at the start but over the period of the minimum term, is cheaper overall? Or in other words, providers could tempt customers in with very low special offers, then jack up the rates when competitors aren!!!8217;t offering special deals?

Apologies if this doesn!!!8217;t make any sense and maybe I am just looking at it in completely the wrong way!
    Northern Ireland club member No 382
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 1st Jul 18, 11:26 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    If you have the evidence of their 'fixed price contract' advertising then you should. If not, what about their advertising are you going to complain about?
    Originally posted by mije1983
    If a significant amount of typical people read an advert and misunderstand the offer, even if it is technically accurate, then that advert is surely the definition of misleading?

I'm not sure anyone in the last three years or so has actually received the price shown in big print on the advert for the full contract length. (Ok unless you include the small print).

An accurate advert would read something like "Prices start from this price and will rise during your contract".

I would consider that a valid complaint. Though I've been wrong before...
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 1st Jul 18, 11:48 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    By all means complain that the practice of increasing prices during a supposed fixed discount period is wrong, but don't labour the point by inventing some byzantine and arduous task in finding a new deal.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    Then you are a better man than me. Personally it takes me at least an afternoon.

Wading through all the different options from each isp and the different configurations of deals that vary every week drives me up the wall. The comparison sites are never totally accurate for my exchange either.

I just want to do it once, pick one and not have to think about it again for the next 12 to 18 months.

Not to mention the fear every migration that it might go wrong and end up in a mess.

But maybe that's just me being disorganised.

Still as they say, first world problems, blessed to have problems such as these I guess.
    Last edited by mnbvcxz; 01-07-2018 at 11:54 PM. Reason: additional thought
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 2nd Jul 18, 12:14 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    Or in other words, providers could tempt customers in with very low special offers, then jack up the rates when competitors aren't offering special deals?
    Originally posted by Money_Grabber13579
    It is possible, but generally when provider X hikes their prices other providers try to take advantage of the churn that happens, and tend to have decent deals in order to entice people from provider X.

I would consider that a valid complaint.
    Originally posted by mnbvcxz
    Then complain to the ASA. If everyone waited for someone else to do it, nothing would ever get done!

• Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If a significant amount of typical people read an advert and misunderstand the offer, even if it is technically accurate, then that advert is surely the definition of misleading?
    When you say "misunderstand" you surely mean don't bother reading it? Godd luck in complaining to ASA that people don't read the full advert.

I'm not sure anyone in the last three years or so has actually received the price shown in big print on the advert for the full contract length. (Ok unless you include the small print).
    Talktalk customers do. The downside is it's Talktalk.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    If I wanted to return in future, when I am considered a new custome for deals/cashback?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    They usually state no contract within the last 12 months but it may depend on their targets for that particular month. I'm surprised they didn't at least try to retain you.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 2nd Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 7,032 Thanks
    pmduk
    They usually state no contract within the last 12 months but it may depend on their targets for that particular month. I'm surprised they didn't at least try to retain you.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Virgin regularly try to 'shake off' unprofitable customers. IIRC, the poster is a rather heavy data user which may explain the laxity in their retention efforts.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 2nd Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    No, that is the definition of not reading carefully.

I've just completed an 18 month discount with SSE where I got the advertised rate of 21per month (unlimited 76 Mbps fibre; line rental and anytime calls) for the full 18 months.

An accurate advert would read something like "Prices start from this price and will rise during your contract".
    No, that would be a misleading advert, because the initial price is fixed, rather than, "starting from," and it also doesn't show what the current normal price is. The current wording is both accurate, and is not misleading (assuming people bother to read it, and have the reading comprehension skills necessary to understand it - a failure in either of these areas is not the advertiser's fault).

I would consider that a valid complaint. Though I've been wrong before...
    Nope, no grounds for a complaint. The intellectual capacity of the general public is not valid grounds.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 2nd Jul 18, 1:54 PM
    • 3,628 Posts
    • 3,965 Thanks
    Marvel1
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Virgin regularly try to 'shake off' unprofitable customers. IIRC, the poster is a rather heavy data user which may explain the laxity in their retention efforts.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Sorry should have stated this in my first post, I downloaded about 900Gb in 3 months
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 2nd Jul 18, 1:56 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    I should have emphasised that when I said no consumer had achieved the full contract at the advertised price I was referring to BT consumer customers. Sorry that was unclear. I appreciate other isp's have completed contracts without price rises.

As to whether the BT contract was sufficiently clear in its meaning to the consumer I can only say that for me it was not. I was surprised the price rises applied to me. I had assumed that as it kept saying get a special price and 18 months in big letters that the note about prices changing must refer to the out of contract prices and options..

Make of that what you will.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Jul 18, 2:10 PM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Think its more that we don't look when we are buying and dont look either when we get the signup email .
    Or we only see what we want to see .

Looking at signing up today on BT web site we have a lot of details to read .
    >>>

SUPERFAST FIBRE 2 UNLIMITED
    Average speed 67Mb

Perfect for streaming, gaming, watching and downloading in HD on multiple devices
    • Unlimited monthly usage
    • BT Smart Hub the UKs most powerful wi-fi vs major broadband providers
    • Free access to over 5 million UK wi-fi hotspots
    • Unlimited weekend calls

Important information

The legal stuff

!!!916;We may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.
    • ACDeag
    • By ACDeag 4th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 724 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    ACDeag
    The fact they are writing to you and giving you 30 days to cancel is because the increase is outside the T&Cs you agreed to. If the rise was within the terms you would not have had that letter.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 5th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 3,542 Posts
    • 20,278 Thanks
    mije1983
    The fact they are writing to you and giving you 30 days to cancel is because the increase is outside the T&Cs you agreed to. If the rise was within the terms you would not have had that letter.
    Originally posted by ACDeag

It's actually an OFCOM regulation that any rise results in the customer being able to leave penalty free. Even if it was 1p. So every customer who will be facing a rise will have the chance to leave.

There are different rules in place for LR/BB compared to mobile phones for example, which usually rise in line with RPI annually.
    Last edited by mije1983; 05-07-2018 at 11:04 AM.

• pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Jul 18, 9:42 PM
    • 9,365 Posts
    • 7,032 Thanks
    pmduk
    Sorry should have stated this in my first post, I downloaded about 900Gb in 3 months
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    I'm sorry, I'd recalled it at 900 Gb per month.
    • hippo25
    • By hippo25 8th Jul 18, 1:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    hippo25
    Can I ask a switching question specific to the BT price increase here?

I'm halfway through a BT 18 month contract and like the OP I have received an email saying I have 30 days to cancel, but I need to give BT 30 days notice of cancelation. So how do I time the switch for say, one of the Virgin deals that ends on the 15th July? Do I ring up BT first, tell them I am leaving and give my 30 days....then ring Virgin (or sign up online) before the 15th July and set the start date for 30days time- will they allow me to do that (i.e. will it work??)

Thanks
    • momoyama
    • By momoyama 8th Jul 18, 3:20 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    momoyama
    BT are the spawn of Satan. If I can help it I will never give them any business again. Sorry, not particularly helpful after the fact bit it may influence others to avoid them.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 11,219 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    [QUOTE=hippo25;74501827]
    I have received an email saying I have 30 days to cancel, but I need to give BT 30 days notice of cancelation. So how do I time the switch for say, one of the Virgin deals that ends on the 15th July? Do I ring up BT first, tell them I am leaving and give my 30 days....then ring Virgin (or sign up online) before the 15th July

Yes that's what you do notice then sign up straight away .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,427Posts Today

8,257Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin