Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atencorps
    • By atencorps 29th Jun 18, 5:57 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 0Thanks
    atencorps
    Renting/Lodger
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:57 PM
    Renting/Lodger 29th Jun 18 at 5:57 PM
    Hi,

In need of some tenancy advice. I rented a room from a live in landlord on spareroom. At time of renting price was agreed and the landlord confirmed the room had a lock on the door and even provided lock when I moved in.
    Suddenly after 4 weeks the landlord has turned round saying they don't like me locking door and the price agreed isn't sufficient.

The advert stated no minimum or maximum rental terms.

Can the landlord demand I leave ? and if so is there a minimum notice period ?. especially since I have not broken any terms. No contract was signed .

Thanks
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 29th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    • 22,417 Posts
    • 18,430 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    You're a lodger, and the only tenancy terms are whatever you have agreed. If you didn't agree any then you can be asked to leave with little notice (possibly none). I'd start looking for somewhere else to live and next time make sure you agree the terms before you start to pay rent.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 29th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 2,299 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:46 PM
    Indeed.

In the absence of any written contract the notice only has to be 'reasonable', if you are paying per week then one weeks notice would be acceptable.
    • allypally26
    • By allypally26 29th Jun 18, 7:00 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    allypally26
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:00 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:00 PM
    If there is a lock on the door doesn’t that mean the OP is a tenant instead of a lodger?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 29th Jun 18, 7:03 PM
    • 7,942 Posts
    • 7,655 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:03 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:03 PM
    If there is a lock on the door doesn’t that mean the OP is a tenant instead of a lodger?
    Originally posted by allypally26
    no
    the LL must have granted exclusive use of the room to convert the status from lodger to tenant.
    a mere lock does not do that, nor is a lock a requirement of being a tenant. What matters is what is in writing
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 29th Jun 18, 9:03 PM
    • 2,290 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:03 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:03 PM
    Suddenly after 4 weeks the landlord has turned round saying they don't like me locking door and the price agreed isn't sufficient.
    Originally posted by atencorps

Is what you pay low? If you feel safe and secure, is locking the door a problem? I had a lodger, no lock on the door.
    You have got to trust each other, you have access to the whole house, the landlord must trust you.

• FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 29th Jun 18, 10:52 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:52 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:52 PM
    I too have a lodger (things have settled down with them). The only lock on the door is a thumb latch operated from inside. Aside from a couple of rooms, they have free run of the place. Trust on both sides in this situation is essential. And yes, I would oppose putting a proper lock on the door - One reason being that it might create a tenancy.

With a "licence to occupy", the only protection the lodgers have are what is written in to the contract - Even then, there is little in the way of protection if I wanted to kick them out.

If the OP doesn't feel secure without a lock on the door, then it is probably best to look for new accommodation.
    Last edited by FreeBear; 29-06-2018 at 10:54 PM.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 29th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 11,002 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 10:54 PM
    I too have a lodger (things have settled down with them).
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    You let your violent lodger stay after his battered girlfriend fled?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 29th Jun 18, 11:26 PM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:26 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:26 PM
    You let your violent lodger stay after his battered girlfriend fled?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    It was (hopefully) a one off event, and now that I'm aware of the background story, a little more forgiving. A notice to vacate triggered the involvement of some outside agencies, and they are now getting the help & support that they need.

I see no need to go in to details, suffice to say I'm satisfied there will be no repeat of the incident.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 30th Jun 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,073 Posts
    • 11,002 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    It was (hopefully) a one off event, and now that I'm aware of the background story, a little more forgiving. A notice to vacate triggered the involvement of some outside agencies, and they are now getting the help & support that they need.

I see no need to go in to details, suffice to say I'm satisfied there will be no repeat of the incident.
    I just hope his girlfriend is ok, there is no ‘background’ that makes domestic violence forgiveable.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 30th Jun 18, 4:58 PM
    • 47,795 Posts
    • 58,463 Thanks
    G_M
    The notice period required is whatever was agreed, whether in writing or verbally, at the start.

If there was no agreement, it must be 'reasonable notice'.

A rule of thumb to 'reasonableness' (though this is not a definitive definition) is 1 weeks notice if rent is paid weekly or 1 months notice if rent is paid montthly.

Referring to posts above, if there has been violence, that would probably affect how a judge would define what is 'reasonable' in a specific case.

See also
    * Lodgers: advice & links for landlords & lodgers
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 2nd Jul 18, 10:55 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 905 Thanks
    sitesafe

'Involvement of outside agencies' would be a red flag to some. Just be very careful
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 3rd Jul 18, 12:57 AM
    • 2,362 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    FreeBear
    there is no !!!8216;background!!!8217; that makes domestic violence forgiveable.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Agreed. But now that I'm aware of the circumstances leading up to the incident, I'm not so judgmental to say "you threw the punch, it is all your fault".

In the words of Kosh (Vorlon ambassador at Babylon 5) - "Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth."

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,945Posts Today

7,040Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin