Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pagey1964
    • By Pagey1964 29th Jun 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Pagey1964
    HomeServe Insurance
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:19 PM
    HomeServe Insurance 29th Jun 18 at 5:19 PM
    Watch the renewal tactics for this company. My policy renews on 30th June and I was invited to renew with a premium increase of 87%, despite a no claims record. If I hadn't noticed this, the policy would have simply renewed at the new increased price. I called them to cancel and was immediately offered a renewal at an increase of around 10%. It seems that they offer policies at unsustainable introductory premiums then increase the premium dramatically at renewal, hoping customers simply allow the policy to roll over at the new premium through direct debit. I still cancelled as I think this is a poor way to treat customers but if you still want to renew, make sure you call them first!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 29th Jun 18, 5:54 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 3,213 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:54 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:54 PM
    that's their business model, they hope people don't look and shop around and get stung with it. Always diarise this stuff every year together with your MOT and servicing

They will always offer cheaper premiums for new customers, no harm in lapsing your policy and trying to get in as a new customer or using your partner to be a new customer
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • snoman
    • By snoman 1st Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    snoman
    • 1st Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    Unsolicited mailshots
    • 1st Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    I'm fed up with Homeserve pestering me to take out unwanted water pipe insurance and to add insult to injury, their envelopes always purport to be from my water company. Is Homeserve contravening the new GPDR law, as I've never given any permission for such mailings?
    • AlTimian
    • By AlTimian 2nd Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AlTimian
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    £1 a month: Homeserve - advice plz
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    Looking for advice on Homeserve!

I've been offered a £1 / month home emergencies insurance deal from Homeserve. Sounds OK although I'm worried it's too good to be true....

Is there a catch? Will it go up dramatically after 12 months?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 2nd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 7,053 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 4:57 PM
    Is there a catch? Will it go up dramatically after 12 months?
    Originally posted by AlTimian
    It'll be an introductory offer for new customers. So yes, it will go up to their normal full price after 12 months. (From memory, their t&cs are clear about this, so it shouldn't be a surprise.)

They will send you a letter shortly before the 12 months is up, so you can phone and cancel.
    • HBrown
    • By HBrown 10th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HBrown
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:48 AM
    Sorry Iím replying to an older thread...
    Iíve literally just cancelled my insurance with homeserve when they more than doubled their policy (thank goodness I always read the renewal letter!). This would have been my 4th year with them and they tried to tell me the first 3 years were introductory rates!!
    The reason for this post is, has anyone found a suitable alternative to insure with please? Tia
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 7,084 Posts
    • 7,053 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    • 10th Aug 18, 11:57 AM
    Sorry Iím replying to an older thread...
    Iíve literally just cancelled my insurance with homeserve when they more than doubled their policy (thank goodness I always read the renewal letter!). This would have been my 4th year with them and they tried to tell me the first 3 years were introductory rates!!
    The reason for this post is, has anyone found a suitable alternative to insure with please? Tia
    Originally posted by HBrown
    You can google 'home emergency insurance' to find lots of alternatives, including comparison sites.

Or, if it's more relevant to what you want, google 'boiler insurance'

Maybe also read this: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/boiler-insurance/
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 5,046 Posts
    • 3,213 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    or stash the money away so you can use it as a repair fund, imagine putting away 50 pounds a month, you could get a new boiler after 2-3 years
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
  • HomeServe company representative
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your comments and bringing this to our attention.

HomeServe do send untargeted, blanket mailings from time to time. If you wish to remove yourself from blanket marketing you're able to get in touch with Royal Mail and they should be able to assist you. If the mailings you've received have been addressed to you directly, please get in touch with us via the email address on our profile page. Please provide your name and address details and we can certainly remove you from any future mailings.

Kind regards,

Leah
    Here To Help Team
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of HomeServe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,903Users online

Martin's Twitter