Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellenpal
    • By ellenpal 29th Jun 18, 4:14 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 5Thanks
    ellenpal
    Mobile phone insurance denies fault
    • 29th Jun 18, 4:14 PM
    Mobile phone insurance denies fault 29th Jun 18 at 4:14 PM
    Hi everyone, here's my issue. I took out gadget insurance through Switched On about a year ago. My only claim to date has been for a HTC phone. It was in perfect condition until I dropped it in water! They can't fix my original one I had from brand new and send me out the same make and model but a refurb one. It has never worked right from the start. Very slow, battery goes quickly, screen freezes and needs to be shut down, etc...
    I send it back within a couple weeks. They look at it and say there is nothing wrong and send it back.
    I get it back and its the same story - screen freezes all the time, can't change between apps, sometimes it won't allow me to answer calls, etc. Anyway, I suffer with it for a dew more months until I write a complaint letter stating they must be wrong about the device, it clearly can't work properly. I attach a video of me using it and how it consistently needs to be restarted due to screen freezing.
    Anyway, they finally get back to me to say they have investigated it and there is nothing wrong with it! They basically said, what can you expect from a phone that is 4 years old? I replied that I think they are wrong. I am not streaming loads of data. I use the phone for basic apps (whatsapp, facebook) and to make calls and texts. And it fails to do that, so it's faulty. They don't care and are sending it back to me as is.
    Now, wise ones. What recourse to I have? I am not expecting a top of the line Iphone replacement. I just want a comparable, working phone which I think is fair.
    I have had the policy for about a year, also paid the deductible of 50 to receive this crap phone. So, that about 200 paid into this plan and I have only one phone that I can't use properly.
    What can I do? And what's the point of insurance if they refuse claims?
    Please throw me your ideas!
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 29th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    • 38,357 Posts
    • 22,328 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    Assuming this is an insurance policy, (not a warranty type policy), then your route is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if they ignore you for 8 weeks or you are unhappy with the reply you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
    • ellenpal
    • By ellenpal 29th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    ellenpal
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    Assuming this is an insurance policy, (not a warranty type policy), then your route is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if they ignore you for 8 weeks or you are unhappy with the reply you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
    Originally posted by Quentin
    I did submit a formal complaint and they have 4 more weeks to respond. 8weeks without a phone is really difficult!
    What is fos?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 29th Jun 18, 8:02 PM
    • 38,357 Posts
    • 22,328 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:02 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:02 PM
    Financial Ombudsman Service
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 29th Jun 18, 9:07 PM
    • 33,836 Posts
    • 21,333 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:07 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:07 PM
    I did submit a formal complaint and they have 4 more weeks to respond. 8weeks without a phone is really difficult!
    What is fos?
    Originally posted by ellenpal
    Then buy a cheap but suitable phone to use in the mean time, when its resolved you can use it as a backup or sell it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,763Users online

Martin's Twitter