Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • perc
    • By perc 29th Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    • 917Posts
    • 19,336Thanks
    perc
    Bestway Pool - keeping it clean?!?
    • 29th Jun 18, 1:56 PM
    Bestway Pool - keeping it clean?!? 29th Jun 18 at 1:56 PM
    Hi

We have a Bestway fast set pool. We have a electric pump filter for it which we have going most days.

However after about 3-4 days the water turns a greenish colour and the kids wont go in it until until we empty it, clean it and refill it again.

Can anyone advise whether getting a Chlorine Bromine Dispenser might help with this?

Thanks
    "Those who try to make sense of the world are divided into four categories: scientists, theologians, philosophers, and fools. Correction ... make that one category with three sub-divisions" -- Carlo Kensada
Page 1
    • Anoneemoose
    • By Anoneemoose 29th Jun 18, 2:19 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 2,274 Thanks
    Anoneemoose
    • 29th Jun 18, 2:19 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 2:19 PM
    We have a 10ft steel frame pool and use this.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 400730934561

This stays in the pool most of the time (but not when anyone!!!8217;s in it). We also have a chemicals starter kit with chlorine and algaecide (as well as pH regulators). Ours hasn!!!8217;t been used for about a week and I could see some algae forming on the sides so I brushed the sides and then treated with the algaecide. It seems to have cleared it, but will add some clarifier later too.

It!!!8217;s important to keep on top of it though as it can make you ill if it!!!8217;s full of algae etc. It doesn!!!8217;t take much though. I spend about 10 mins a day skimming the leaves/bugs with a net. The floater above keeps the water mostly clean, but as I say, I do need to add other things (mentioned above) every now and then. I also have some testing strips to test the chemical levels are correct.

And then the filters get changed about once a fortnight.

It may seem a lot of hassle, but it isn!!!8217;t really. And it!!!8217;s worth it for the enjoyment the kids get!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 29th Jun 18, 5:51 PM
    • 19,493 Posts
    • 45,197 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:51 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 5:51 PM
    We had something similar to Anoneemoose above, I think it was made by Bestway, we got a tub of chlorine tablets from the local pool supply shop and some test strips from ebay.

We used to put the floater in the evening after use and take it out the next morning making sure to test the water before letting the children back in. It kept our pool going all through the summer with just occasional top-ups.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 29th Jun 18, 6:39 PM
    • 12,304 Posts
    • 8,301 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:39 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 6:39 PM
    As the other two posts - you need to see what the water is doing and you need to do that with test strips. They are easy to use and it means a few chemicals will keep the water safe to swim in.
    • truewraith121
    • By truewraith121 10th Jul 18, 5:08 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    truewraith121
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:08 PM
    hi,

after you put the chlorine tablets in the filter or floating filter is it then safe hours later to get the water on your face or in your mouth ?

just curious after reading this post and being new to these pools

thanks and sorry to jump on your post
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 24,198 Posts
    • 63,167 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 5:40 PM
    We have just emptied the pool Ds bought when he and the grandsons were staying. What a job!

The ring around the edge is hardly deflating.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

428Posts Today

5,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin