Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Xhris
    • By Xhris 29th Jun 18, 11:06 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Xhris
    Beware "New" Barclaycard terms & conditions
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:06 AM
    Beware "New" Barclaycard terms & conditions 29th Jun 18 at 11:06 AM
    Just a warning to those outside the UK who have a Barclaycard that they use regularly.
    I recently received an email from Barclaycard.
    Your Barclaycard will stop working if you don't get back to us
    We realise you've had a Barclaycard for some time at your current (non-UK) address. As it's part of our terms and conditions that customers must have a current UK residential address, we're sorry to tell you that your account will have to close.
    "It's easy to keep your account open here's how"
    You'll need to complete a 'Proof of address verification form', Simply follow the instructions on the together with a copy of a document showing your UK residential address>

Maybe it has something to do with a recent enquiry re PPI.
    Just to clarify:
    I have had a Barclaycard for 40 years.
    They have known and communicated with me for the last 26 of those years; that I have a non UK residential address!
    For me to give a UK address as they ASK would mean a FRAUDULENT action on my part.
    So Barclaycard are asking me to commit FRAUD in order to keep my well used card

I know I shouldn't be surprised as this is the second time - Barclays International did a similar thing after 20 years- my living abroad suddenly after years becomes a reason to terminate a contact.
    I realise there is nothing I can do but feel angry how they can now use my living abroad as an excuse when it didn't matter for 26 years!!!
    Sorry for the long post just wanted to warn others about this.

Regards

Xhris
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 29th Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    • 21,275 Posts
    • 22,982 Thanks
    zx81
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    It's not a new term. They've just been lax in enforcing it.

It's also not encouraging fraud. It ask for your UK residential address. If you don't have one, you can't provide it. Nowhere does it ask you to make one up.

Lastly, it also has nothing to do with your PPI correspondence.
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 29th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    jimbo26
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 11:48 AM
    So Barclaycard are asking me to commit FRAUD in order to keep my well used card

Xhris
    Originally posted by Xhris
    They are not asking you to commit fraud. You are being asked to prove you are a UK resident otherwise they will close your account. The choice is yours as to whether or not commit fraud.
    • Xhris
    • By Xhris 30th Jun 18, 12:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Xhris
    • 30th Jun 18, 12:16 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 12:16 PM
    Thank you both for your replies.
    zx81 - As to the terms & conditions - I have been informed by Barclaycard that this is a new condition brought in at the beginning of this year.
    When i left the UK i checked that they would still allow me a Barclaycard without a UK address - the answer was yes. Therefore they have known for 26 years where I reside.
    They state that they are personally communicating with each client I therefore assume that they have actually read the data about whom they are contacting.
    So in order for me personally to provide a UK Residential address is obviously not possible without committing fraud. I realise this is being pedantic, but certainly some would happily commit fraud by doing so. In my opinion they are encourging fraud.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 30th Jun 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,750 Posts
    • 2,318 Thanks
    adindas
    • 30th Jun 18, 12:55 PM
    • 30th Jun 18, 12:55 PM
    Thank you both for your replies.
    zx81 - As to the terms & conditions - I have been informed by Barclaycard that this is a new condition brought in at the beginning of this year.
    When i left the UK i checked that they would still allow me a Barclaycard without a UK address - the answer was yes. Therefore they have known for 26 years where I reside.
    They state that they are personally communicating with each client I therefore assume that they have actually read the data about whom they are contacting.
    So in order for me personally to provide a UK Residential address is obviously not possible without committing fraud. I realise this is being pedantic, but certainly some would happily commit fraud by doing so. In my opinion they are encourging fraud.
    Originally posted by Xhris
    I would be really suprised if the condition to have a UK address is recent. They might have a new T&C but the UK address, but like any other banks this requirment have been there for ages. The requirement to have a UK address is for obvious reason.

As Another person said, they are not encouraging people to commit fraud. It asks for your UK residential address. If you don't have one, you can't provide it. Nowhere does it ask you to make one up.
    Last edited by adindas; 30-06-2018 at 1:28 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,686Users online

Martin's Twitter