Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • joshly
    • By joshly 28th Jun 18, 5:53 PM
    • 148Posts
    • 12Thanks
    joshly
    What happens if i deposit a cheque from a clinet and it bounces
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:53 PM
    What happens if i deposit a cheque from a clinet and it bounces 28th Jun 18 at 5:53 PM
    I am a Window cleaner and there is 1 customer that I was unsure of the moment I met him, just an uneasy feeling.
    He has not paid for the last 2 cleans and told me that he will pay by cheque next time I clean his windows.

That may go to plan but I am just thinking ahead and if I do manage to get a cheque from him and deposit it into my bank, will I get any charges if his cheque bounces.

I certainly would not draw on that cheque deposit until it had cleared.

My account will have sufficient funds regardless of the cheque clearing or not.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 28th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    • 8,811 Posts
    • 10,127 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:06 PM
    You may be charged - you'd need to check with your bank. Probably more likely on a business account.

The customer almost certainly will be charged a fee by his bank for rejecting the payment.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 28th Jun 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:10 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:10 PM
    My window cleaner must think the same about me.

He comes around I scrabble about for cash, giving him the impression I have zero funds, then finally have to give him a cheque. It's the only thing I keep the cheque book for.

I have funds just no cash...
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 28th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 950 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 28th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 7:06 PM
    I wouldn't bother with cheques, just give him your bank account details to pay by online / mobile / telephone banking.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 28th Jun 18, 7:25 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 28th Jun 18, 7:25 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 7:25 PM
    Get one of these (bargain price at the moment) and lack of cash will be no excuse:

https://sumup.co.uk/
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 28th Jun 18, 10:56 PM
    • 7,720 Posts
    • 6,284 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 28th Jun 18, 10:56 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 10:56 PM
    There is no reason why in 2018 a cheque needs to be used for payment. Cash, bank transfer or card should be the only payments you accept.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 29th Jun 18, 1:38 AM
    • 39,168 Posts
    • 36,080 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 29th Jun 18, 1:38 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 1:38 AM
    Why can't he pay by cheque before you next clean his windows?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 29th Jun 18, 7:10 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:10 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:10 AM
    We pay our window cleaner by bank transfer.

I haven't used a cheque book in years.
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 29th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 4,560 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 7:51 AM
    There is no reason why in 2018 a cheque needs to be used for payment. Cash, bank transfer or card should be the only payments you accept.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Why? Cheques are perfectly adequate. Any business that doesn't accept cheques is potentially losing customers. Not many perhaps, but a lot of people do still use cheques and cheques don't need computers/phones/tablets to work.

My suggestion above was the OP gets a card reader. But he should still take cheques if that's what the client prefers. This is a business we're talking about.
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 6th Jul 18, 8:16 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Armorica
    Why? Cheques are perfectly adequate. Any business that doesn't accept cheques is potentially losing customers. Not many perhaps, but a lot of people do still use cheques and cheques don't need computers/phones/tablets to work.

My suggestion above was the OP gets a card reader. But he should still take cheques if that's what the client prefers. This is a business we're talking about.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    It depends on the business - for window cleaning, you'll have done the job before you know whether the cheque will clear.

For businesses that can delay despatch it's a different matter.
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 7th Jul 18, 9:43 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 935 Thanks
    tastyhog
    Get an iZettle card reader, yes it's costs 1.75% to take cards but it's guaranteed funds and no excuses from your clients
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 7th Jul 18, 10:41 AM
    • 4,687 Posts
    • 5,259 Thanks
    robatwork
    Who's your bank? You can sign up for mobile imaging possibly which will make it much faster....

https://www.barclays.co.uk/ways-to-bank/mobile-banking-services/mobile-cheque-imaging/
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 7th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    glider3560
    I would be wanting that cheque before cleaning the windows again.

He already owes you for two cleans, what if he doesn't paid for the third?

• ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    As glider3560 says, he already owes you for two cleans, so why would you even consider cleaning his windows again, until he pays for the previous two? Tell him that you will take a cheque now - if you aren't going to be charged by the bank if it bounces - and when it has cleared you will do the next scheduled clean.

I'd actually go further, however, and refuse to take a cheque, and insist that if he won't pay by cash, then he needs to pay by bank transfer into your account. As he has demonstrated his unreliability, I would also tell him that you are changing the way you work, so that services have to be paid for with cleared funds in advance. As long as the money is in your account the day before the clean is due, then you clean his windows, otherwise they remain uncleaned.

I pay my window cleaner by bank transfer on the day he cleans the windows. This saves him time and money in coming round to collect payment, and saves me from having to remember to have the right cash at home. I pay my gardener in cash on the day that he comes, as this is his preferred payment. I have forgotten to leave the money for him on a couple of occasions, but he knows me, and knows that it is a genuine mistake and that I will pay double next time (on the two occasions I forgot, I offered to drive over to his house with the money). I pay my cleaner by bank transfer the day before a clean is due. Anyone who routinely creates difficulties in paying is not worth having as a customer.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Jul 18, 7:13 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 15,143 Thanks
    Westie983
    I would suggest that you either get a cheque for the missed payments, wait for it to be cashed before you clean again.

As others said you may want to suggest to him to pay via cash or bank transfer?

My parents window cleaner cleans the windows and puts a little piece of paper under the door with details of payment, and this works well, as they can make a payment via online banking or pay cash into bank and send a standing order or faster payment.

Businesses dont accept cheques for payment now so you could follow the same practices.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2019 #10 Total (16000)+0/12000 = 0.0%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 12 #97 Total (450)+1/500 = 0.20% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total (165)+0/365 = 0.00%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (1300)+0/1000 = 0.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1030)+0/2000 = 0.0%

Total 1.00/15865 = 2.00%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,011Posts Today

7,503Users online

Martin's Twitter