Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • callie72
    • By callie72 28th Jun 18, 5:14 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 2Thanks
    callie72
    Car Insurance Cancelled
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:14 PM
    Car Insurance Cancelled 28th Jun 18 at 5:14 PM
    My daughter took out her car insurance in 10/2017 when entering my details as named driver she entered Partner instead of Parent. The insurance company have written to us saying theyíre giving us 14 days notice and will cancel the policy. Yes she should have read the policy schedule and contacted them to change it to parent but she said she never noticed.
    Does anyone have any advice or experienced this?
    Many thanks.
Page 1
    • ossie
    • By ossie 28th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    ossie
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:49 PM
    I would try to sort it out quickly by ringing Insurance company! Insurance cancellation is something you have to declare with every new insurance quote. A cancelled policy serves as a red flag and you may struggle to find a mainstream insurance provider to cover you in the future.
    • callie72
    • By callie72 28th Jun 18, 5:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    callie72
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:58 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 5:58 PM
    unfortunately the office that handles this closed at 5pm so I!!!8217;m calling them in the morning, my daughter has already told them it was a genuine mistake and asked if I can speak on her behalf.
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 28th Jun 18, 6:58 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:58 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:58 PM
    How did the insurer find out the truth?
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 28th Jun 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:04 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:04 PM
    How did the insurer find out the truth?
    Originally posted by Zorillo
    Because (at least where I work) most policies go through a validation process. Anything that looks odd is then investigated. They probably looked at the partner bit, saw the ages and thought it was slightly odd so looked into it bit more. You'll be surprised what information insurers have access to.
    • callie72
    • By callie72 28th Jun 18, 8:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    callie72
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:37 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:37 PM
    It wasnt a lie but a mistake, parent and partner are next to each other in the drop down box. My daughter also has dyslexic tendencies and for her glancing at the schedule she saw it as correct. The thing is there has been no financial gain from this, the change isnt material to the risk associated with the policy, I could understand them asking for a charge to correct the information but to cancel it seems excessive.
    Last edited by callie72; 28-06-2018 at 8:41 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    • callie72
    • By callie72 28th Jun 18, 8:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    callie72
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:40 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:40 PM
    Does anyone know why wasn!!!8217;t comes up with numbers on my post - it!!!8217;s really annoying
    Last edited by callie72; 28-06-2018 at 8:41 PM. Reason: Sorted spelling mistake
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 28th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    • 36,282 Posts
    • 20,533 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 8:50 PM
    Does anyone know why wasn!!!8217;t comes up with numbers on my post - it!!!8217;s really annoying
    Originally posted by callie72
    Lots of threads on this in this forum:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 28th Jun 18, 9:02 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 28th Jun 18, 9:02 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 9:02 PM
    It wasnt a lie but a mistake, parent and partner are next to each other in the drop down box. My daughter also has dyslexic tendencies and for her glancing at the schedule she saw it as correct. The thing is there has been no financial gain from this, the change isnt material to the risk associated with the policy, I could understand them asking for a charge to correct the information but to cancel it seems excessive.
    Think you'll need to contact the insurance company and try and explain.
    Maybe offer to pay the extra it would have cost if there wasn't an older partner.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 28th Jun 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Nasqueron

Has she been diagnosed as dyslexic or are you self diagnosing her? The former will help, the latter won't
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 28th Jun 18, 11:05 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Zorillo
    Was there a question about where she lived and she forgot to say 'with parents' (if that's the case)?

Because otherwise I'm struggling to see how the insurance company has been disadvantaged by this 'misrepresentation' and therefore cancelling the policy seems disproportionate.

It'd be different if she'd called her partner a parent, because that would look like fronting.

I'd complain, citing the Insurance Act and insisting this was an innocent mistake.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 28th Jun 18, 11:12 PM
    • 36,282 Posts
    • 20,533 Thanks
    Quentin
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer the route to go down is a complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication at no cost to you
    • callie72
    • By callie72 28th Jun 18, 11:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    callie72
    Has she been diagnosed as dyslexic or are you self diagnosing her? The former will help, the latter won't
    Originally posted by Nasqueron
    Hahaha no I donít do self diagnosis or diagnose from google either.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 29th Jun 18, 9:45 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Hahaha no I donít do self diagnosis or diagnose from google either.
    It's just you said "dyslexic tenancies", rather than "she's been diagnosed with dyslexia" - the latter may help her case in that she could argue she mis-read partner/parents
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 29th Jun 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,646 Posts
    • 3,828 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    It's just you said "dyslexic tenancies", rather than "she's been diagnosed with dyslexia" - the latter may help her case in that she could argue she mis-read partner/parents
    Originally posted by Nasqueron

Anyone can inadvertently select the wrong item on a drop-down menu, especially if there are two adjacent options of similar shape and letter patterns.
    Also it only takes the computer or the website to be a little slower than your mouse movement and the item that gets clicked can easily lag behind the apparent position of the pointer.

Of course we are all meant to check and re-read everything meticulously, but in practice mistakes happen. Even insurers make mistakes sometimes.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 29th Jun 18, 11:02 AM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Anyone can inadvertently select the wrong item on a drop-down menu, especially if there are two adjacent options of similar shape and letter patterns.
    Also it only takes the computer or the website to be a little slower than your mouse movement and the item that gets clicked can easily lag behind the apparent position of the pointer.

Of course we are all meant to check and re-read everything meticulously, but in practice mistakes happen. Even insurers make mistakes sometimes.
    Originally posted by Clifford_Pope
    Yes but mistakes that have led to a cancellation are more likely to get some leeway with a proper disability rather than a parent/partner fronting suspicion
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 4th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    The change in being parent to partner IS a material change in risk.

The insurer would have re-priced the policy based on the new risk, and if the additional premium was over X amount they'd cancel the policy.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 4th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    The change in being parent to partner IS a material change in risk.

The insurer would have re-priced the policy based on the new risk, and if the additional premium was over X amount they'd cancel the policy.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    The change would be partner to parent and why would the insurance company cancel the policy if the increase was over X amount?
    That doesn't make sense the policy holder would either pay or cancel the policy themselves.
    Now if the insurance company couldn't quote a policy based on parent then that might be a different scenario.
    • radoslaff
    • By radoslaff 4th Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    radoslaff
    Going through the whole procedure of complaining and waiting will do no good for the moment because the policy will be cancelled in a week now. I was just thinking about something else. They gave you 14 days notice. What will happen if your daughter takes another insurance and cancels this one? There certainly will be a cancellation fee but paying this is by far better than disclosing a cancelled policy for the next X years. Maybe the more experienced people here can advise on this.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

768Posts Today

7,552Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin