Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Caeraugirl
    • By Caeraugirl 28th Jun 18, 1:34 PM
    • 295Posts
    • 2,402Thanks
    Caeraugirl
    Anyone tried People's Energy
    • 28th Jun 18, 1:34 PM
    Anyone tried People's Energy 28th Jun 18 at 1:34 PM
    Still on a fixed deal with Ovo til October 2019, and notice that Bulb will refund exit fees if I switch to them now.

While researching, however, I came across People's Energy - my DD would drop by a third and even with my overestimated usage for calculation purposes, I should save over £450 / year. Their whole ethos seems brilliant, just wondering if it's too good to be true...?
Page 1
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 28th Jun 18, 1:45 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    • 28th Jun 18, 1:45 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 1:45 PM
    Still on a fixed deal with Ovo til October 2019, and notice that Bulb will refund exit fees if I switch to them now.

While researching, however, I came across People's Energy - my DD would drop by a third and even with my overestimated usage for calculation purposes, I should save over £450 / year. Their whole ethos seems brilliant, just wondering if it's too good to be true...?
    Originally posted by Caeraugirl
    So are you suggesting that if you move from your current supplier, Ovo, to People's Energy to save £450 per year, Bulb Energy will refund your early exit fees?

If it sounds to good to be true .... well you know the answer to that one.

If you are questioning the £450 per year savings from Peoples Energy, then consult a couple of comparison sites. If they both also give the same result it is probably true as 2 independent companies are unlikley to make the same error resulting in the same erroneous result.

As for People's Energy, you can find the existing feedback thread on this supplier here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5745768

Finally, why are you looking to move from presumably a fixed tariff that you elected to take at some time in the past to a varible tariff?
    Particularly at a time when prices are generally rising?

Mind you, if you say you can now save £450 pa vs a tariff you decided to fix some time ago, can you explain to me the process you went through to decide upon the tariff you did choose?
    And what has changed since?
    Last edited by WhoIsThat; 28-06-2018 at 2:02 PM.
    • Caeraugirl
    • By Caeraugirl 28th Jun 18, 11:01 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Caeraugirl
    • 28th Jun 18, 11:01 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 11:01 PM
    Thanks for link to feedback thread WhoIsThat, I couldn't find one earlier so will take a look next.

I switched to Ovo as they were near the top of the list of cheapest suppliers but with good feedback last October, and while I have no problem with them, I got an email from the MSE Energy Club saying I could save at least £150/year by switching again so I used their comparison site this afternoon.

I first found Bulb, who will apparently save me £350/year AND pay my 60 quid exit fees, then when widening the search to suppliers I couldn't switch to directly via MSE, found People's Energy who can apparently save me £450 a year.

Further online research suggests they are consistently lower in price for their single variable tariff than others offering fixed tariffs, even when factoring in the usual price hikes. Plus I like their ethos and values, and the fact that they aim for 100% renewable energy. However they are a relatively new company so there is insufficient feedback for the two comparison websites I looked at to evaluate their customer satisfaction yet, hence my question.

If we were talking a small reduction on my bills I wouldn't consider moving as we have a long fix and no issues with OVO, but this is potentially a big saving over the next 15 months. Hope that clears up any confusion.
    • Caeraugirl
    • By Caeraugirl 28th Jun 18, 11:09 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Caeraugirl
    • 28th Jun 18, 11:09 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 11:09 PM
    As for People's Energy, you can find the existing feedback thread on this supplier here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5745768
    Originally posted by WhoIsThat
    And as if to prove my point, not one person has posted any feedback on that thread as yet...
  • archived user
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:18 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:18 AM
    Thanks for link to feedback thread WhoIsThat, I couldn't find one earlier so will take a look next.

I switched to Ovo as they were near the top of the list of cheapest suppliers but with good feedback last October, and while I have no problem with them, I got an email from the MSE Energy Club saying I could save at least £150/year by switching again so I used their comparison site this afternoon.

I first found Bulb, who will apparently save me £350/year AND pay my 60 quid exit fees, then when widening the search to suppliers I couldn't switch to directly via MSE, found People's Energy who can apparently save me £450 a year.

Further online research suggests they are consistently lower in price for their single variable tariff than others offering fixed tariffs, even when factoring in the usual price hikes. Plus I like their ethos and values, and the fact that they aim for 100% renewable energy. However they are a relatively new company so there is insufficient feedback for the two comparison websites I looked at to evaluate their customer satisfaction yet, hence my question.

If we were talking a small reduction on my bills I wouldn't consider moving as we have a long fix and no issues with OVO, but this is potentially a big saving over the next 15 months. Hope that clears up any confusion.
    Originally posted by Caeraugirl
    Beware of any PCW that quotes savings - particularly, if you are on a fixed term tariff with LESS than 12 months to run. Why? Ofgem's cost methodology is based on a rolling 12 months projection. It follows that if you have 6 months left on your present tariff, then the 12 month cost will be based on 6 months on present tariff PLUS 6 months on the SVT for your particular supplier. This leads to an inflated cost. You then switch to another fixed tariff that actually costs you more but it will also show a saving.

Before leaping into a switch, check your annual cost on your present tariff with the annual cost of the list of available tariffs. MSE CEC gives you this option. FWiW, Peoples Energy is not that cheap for my postcode and consumption.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 29th Jun 18, 9:08 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:08 AM
    • 29th Jun 18, 9:08 AM
    Beware of any PCW that quotes savings - particularly, if you are on a fixed term tariff with LESS than 12 months to run. Why? Ofgem's cost methodology is based on a rolling 12 months projection. It follows that if you have 6 months left on your present tariff, then the 12 month cost will be based on 6 months on present tariff PLUS 6 months on the SVT for your particular supplier. This leads to an inflated cost. You then switch to another fixed tariff that actually costs you more but it will also show a saving.

Before leaping into a switch, check your annual cost on your present tariff with the annual cost of the list of available tariffs. MSE CEC gives you this option. FWiW, Peoples Energy is not that cheap for my postcode and consumption.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    I understood the OP was using the MSE CEC.
    But I would add that other PCWs also allow the alternative method of calculation.
    Not, of course, that it would make any difference in this case, because the OP's current tariff does not expire until October 2019, i.e. over 12 months away, so whichever calculation method is used, the results will be the same

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 30-06-2018 at 8:40 AM.
    • Caeraugirl
    • By Caeraugirl 29th Jun 18, 8:09 PM
    • 295 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    Caeraugirl
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:09 PM
    • 29th Jun 18, 8:09 PM

Originally posted by Hengus
    Thanks for that, I appreciate the considered response Hengus. I think I'll probably stick with Ovo for now and review again when closer to when my current fix ends.
    • PeoplesEnergy
      Verified User verified user
    • By PeoplesEnergy Verified User verified user 3rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PeoplesEnergy
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:20 PM
    Hi Caeraugirl,

Hope you're enjoying what seems like an actual British summer .

Our cheaper than the 'Big Six' price promise means our customers do make saving in the hundreds of pounds and with a company pledge that gives 75% of our profits back to customers it's a great way to save on your energy bills while joining a company that pays its people back.

If you'd like any more information do let me know and hopefully we'll welcome you to the People's Energy family soon.

Thanks,

Sophie
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of PeoplesEnergy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • archived user
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 3:32 PM
    Hi Caeraugirl,

Hope you're enjoying what seems like an actual British summer .

Our cheaper than the 'Big Six' price promise means our customers do make saving in the hundreds of pounds and with a company pledge that gives 75% of our profits back to customers it's a great way to save on your energy bills while joining a company that pays its people back.

If you'd like any more information do let me know and hopefully we'll welcome you to the People's Energy family soon.

Thanks,

Sophie
    Originally posted by PeoplesEnergy
    Sophie,

MSErs appreciate the contribution that supplier’s reps can make to this forum but you need to apply to MSE for formal accreditation.
    • PeoplesEnergy
      Verified User verified user
    • By PeoplesEnergy Verified User verified user 9th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PeoplesEnergy
    Hi Hengus,

Happy Monday and we're all up & running now with the formal MSE accreditation; woohoo!

Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of PeoplesEnergy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    • padsonline
    • By padsonline 19th Jan 19, 7:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    padsonline
    Very poor supplier
    Without notice, they have just upped my DD from £78 pm to £216 pm after one estimated reading. No response to my emails and only an expensive phone number to ring.

I think they may be going out of business soon.

I'm off

Phil
    • JustWilliam2
    • By JustWilliam2 22nd Feb 19, 2:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JustWilliam2
    Leaving People's Energy
    I've been with People's Energy since Nov 2018 and have experienced a total of 4 stupid administrative mistakes.
    People's Energy haven't been very apologetic or careful and are very slow to respond or correct their mistakes, so I'm going to switch my account.
    They're only a small company and have demonstrated that they are unable to cope with a huge influx of new customers, so I couldn't recommend them.
    • GuyKeshet
    • By GuyKeshet 5th Jun 19, 9:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GuyKeshet
    people energy - avoid! no processes, only want your money
    I have been their customer last year.
    After leaving them, they did not bother to calculate a final bill and return my credit amount - I had to chase them for it

they asked me to reopen the direct debit to return the credit they owed me, and than the following month they charged me again, even though I'm no longer their customer and have no usage - they did not send me a bill or notified me of the charge, I only found out as I check my bank account regularly.

So - AVOID, they clearly have no internal processes in favour of their customers, no revenue assurance and are clearly not compliant with industry billing regulation.
    • Blackadr
    • By Blackadr 1st Oct 19, 10:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Blackadr
    To OP, yes I have. Been with them for 7 months now and have only high praise for them. Was on a 24 month fix but PE pointed out I could save money when they introduced their latest tariff so switched me to that AND reduced my direct debit AND offered a refund of excessive accumulated credit. Everyone I have dealt with has been excellent so I find it baffling that others posts are so critical. It seems to me that PE are genuine and have an extremely refreshing approach. The accusation that they are money-grabbing is not, it seems to me, compatible with their unique undertaking to ensure that the multiple of lowest to highest salary will never be greater than x10. What's more they are completely transparent - they actually publish their board meeting minutes! - who else does that?

So, don't avoid, have realistic expectations and switch to them. If your experience is anything like mine you will not be disappointed.
    • Kinlochewe
    • By Kinlochewe 14th Jan 20, 6:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kinlochewe
    Gill
    Have been with them for around six months. Best energy company I have been with. Always answer phone quickly and dealt with the problems I had switching from Shell Energy. Can not fault them.
    • Kinlochewe
    • By Kinlochewe 14th Jan 20, 6:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kinlochewe
    Gill
    Have been with them for around six months. Best energy company I have been with. Always answer phone quickly and dealt with the problems I had switching from Shell Energy. Cannot fault them.
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 15th Jan 20, 12:57 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 4,896 Thanks
    badmemory
    Been with them a year now. Just going on a new fix which is cheaper than the last one, which was the cheapest around for me at the time. Only had to speak to them once when British Gas were trying to tell me that they hadn't done the closing/opening readings. PE even gave me the ref no they had got for the info. Shut BG up instantly.

I love that I can put my monthly meter readings in & get my bill (correct) within 30 mins, unlike BG & Scottish Power who used to take days.

I confess to being very worried when I changed to them as I had never heard of them. If they keep their prices down like this I may well be here for the duration!
    • Farway
    • By Farway 15th Jan 20, 10:33 AM
    • 7,966 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Farway
    Been with them about ten months, no problems whatever, I get an e email reminder to submit meter reading.

My 12 month contract ends soon and unless there is a large price differential for switching I will remain with them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

3,883Users online

Martin's Twitter