Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 28th Jun 18, 6:28 AM
    • 327Posts
    • 806Thanks
    glass_half_full
    The Piano Diary
    • 28th Jun 18, 6:28 AM
    The Piano Diary 28th Jun 18 at 6:28 AM
    Good morning diary and all,

I recently became debt free after 31 months of debtbusting over on Debt Free Wannabe, following the advice and diaries on this site. Here is my previous diary

My debt free diary

I have found keeping a diary really helpful in staying focused and also therapeutic being able to think things through and clarify my thoughts. I want to start a new diary here to signify the start of the next phase of the journey and a change in purpose and goals.
    My household consists of me, my OH, we have been married for 22 years and DS who is 20 and has just finished his first year at University and last but not least the cat who 8 years old, spoilt and pampered! I work at a University in a teaching role and for hobbies do mountain biking, reading and I am learning the piano. The title of the diary is about my goal to ultimately spend less time working and more time on hobbies and interests, including the piano!

My overall goal is to reach financial freedom and be able to semi- retire/retire and pursue my own interests. I may continue to work, but it will be because I want to not because I have to. To achieve this I need to pay off the mortgage and save enough into pension and savings to allow this to happen.

Financial Goals
    The mortgage currently stands at £80,000 and is up for renewal in October. My aim is to take out a mortgage with a term of 8 years (by which time I will be 60) but aim to repay it in 5 years with overpayments.
    In terms of the pension, I currently make contributions of 12% but I am increasing this to 18% in a month or so when a pay rise comes through. I have a small number of DB pensions from previous employers and £140,000 in two DC pensions. In terms of savings, we have nothing other than a small emergency fund but the aim is to build these up now we are debt free. I would like to have savings of £5,000 to £10,000 as a rainy day fund. I need to save up for a replacement car over the next 12 months as the current car is 14 years old and is getting to the end of its life.

Personal Goals
    I have found during the last several months that the money goals are really just a means to an end. For me I want to reach the point in the next 5-8 years where I can step back from the day to day and spend more time on projects I want to pursue just because I want to do them. I would love to have the time for example to write a book, to travel, to do various sports and activities. I also want my OH to have the same options and be able to step back from the work side of things.

SOA
    I have done an SOA below to help me take stock of where we are. The three adults are myself, OH and DS who is at Uni but lives with us when not there. There should be around £1500 per month available to achieve the financial goals listed above.
    Look forward to sharing the journey with you.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 3
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2585
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1989
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4574

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 642
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 247
    Electricity............................. 112
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 33
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 27
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 112
    Groceries etc. ......................... 500
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 235
    Road tax................................ 27
    Car Insurance........................... 65
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 65
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 38.15
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 20
    Haircuts................................ 50
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 100
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Newspaper............................... 9
    Hobbies................................. 82
    Spotify................................. 10
    Dry cleaning............................ 13
    Societies............................... 15
    Union................................... 42
    Allowance DS............................ 100
    Cash.................................... 200
    Cleaner................................. 100
    Total monthly expenses.................. 3072.15

Assets

Cash.................................... 500
    House value (Gross)..................... 350000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1500
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 352000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 80000....(642)......3
    Total secured & HP debts...... 80000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 4,574
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 3,072.15
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,501.85
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 1,501.85

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 352,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -80,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 272,000

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Mortgage June 2018 £79,600 I Mortgage now - £77,278 I MFW Target July 2023 I Emergency fund target £4,000 by Feb 2019 I now £700 I Car loan £17,600 I Target pay off December 2019.
Page 4
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 26th Oct 18, 6:52 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    We have both been paid and I received a bit more for my work in Germany which is good news. Also found out yesterday that the £900 pet insurance claim has been paid which is a relief. I have been able to build the emergency fund back up to £1800. We have some costs next week which are budgeted for. The treatment for the cat (£700) and a bit of work on the car (needs a new tyre and the bonnet is stuck shut!).
    Have a great day all!
    Mortgage June 2018 £79,600 I Mortgage now - £77,278 I MFW Target July 2023 I Emergency fund target £4,000 by Feb 2019 I now £700 I Car loan £17,600 I Target pay off December 2019.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 27th Oct 18, 10:45 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    Today is my 3 year anniversary on MSE!

I cant remember what drew me to this site and these boards. I have a feeling I was looking for ways to save on the usual household stuff so I was browsing the sites and came across the DFW board. Im so glad I came across the boards and got focussed back then. The debt is gone and now focused on getting mortgage free in 5-6 years. I still have to reign myself back in now and then when I notice I am getting back into bad habits. About a year ago I got a rewards card. My thinking was, well I am spending this money anyway, so I might as well get the cashback for the spending. I set it up as a direct debit to pay off every month. Recently, we had a couple of unexpected costs, and the emergency fund was depleted so I amended the payment to be less than the full balance. And the next step was I started to use it for the odd purchase which I wanted to Ďhideí from myself on the budget. So here we go again. So I have just paid it off and I have cut it up. No more credit cards or loans ever again. Now the emergency fund has been built back up, we will use this for any unexpected expenses.

Have a great day all!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 31st Oct 18, 6:37 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    Up early today, my body clock hasnít adjusted to the extra hour yet! Collected cat from the vets yesterday evening. He had the procedure on Monday and then stayed overnight for observation. All seems to have gone well. Not sure if it is my imagination but he seems a bit more sprightly since he got back. Quite expensive overall it has cost £750.
    Car goes in this morning for a new tyre and to get the bonnet open so I can add some oil! Been window shopping on line for a replacement car. I need to focus on building up a replacement fund and then sticking to the budget when the time comes. Too tempting to get a nice shiny car which I cant afford. I need to remember the bigger picture.
    Have to work today, but then I have Thursday and Friday off. Looking forward to this evening!
    Have a great day all!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 1st Nov 18, 9:04 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    I have the rest of the week off which is great. A new month and the budget is reset. I like the end of the month as it means I can see where I am on everything. The problem with the car bonnet being stuck turned out to be a bigger issue yesterday, and the car is still in the garage since a part needed ordering. After I reached the local station I took a bus and then walked home. Should get the car back later on today. Keeping an older car going means putting up with the odd inconvenience, especially when you are a one car family! I need to build up the emergency fund to £10,000 and then save £10,000 for a replacement car. This means keeping it going for another 18 months. If it becomes unrepairable before then, I would use the emergency fund to replace it.
    My mortgage deal ended yesterday, and now I have moved on to the five year fixed. My remaining term is 6 years and 9 months. I donít think I will be making OPs for a while whilst I save for the above. If I get a windfall or something then I would use that on the mortgage.
    Nothing much planned for the two days. Im going to catch up on some piano practice.
    Have a great day all!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 8th Nov 18, 6:45 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    The car repairs came to £200 in the end, £100 for the tyre and £100 for repairing the bonnet release. In the end it was more complicated with the wrong part being delivered etc and the car was in the garage for 3 days. This time when I collected the car my trusty mechanic said to me that he thinks the carís general condition means that things may start to fail more often now. He thinks the engine may be misfiring and that this might be a bigger problem. The car is 14 years old and has 151,000 miles on the clock. So I have been researching a replacement. To be honest, this car was bought just before or around light bulb moment in November 2015. It really is the last stage of money saving for me since it isnít a very sensible car ie it is a large petrol engine SUV which is uneconomical to run. I have held on to it because its cheaper to keep it than replace. But it looks like the time has come to replace it or accept mounting repair bills and more inconvenience with it being off the road. I have been investigating getting a hybrid. As we live on a hill it needs to have 4wd as I have had to abandon several previous cars at the bottom of the hill due to the snow. The car I am looking at would allow us to do our daily mileage on electric power, and then use a petrol engine for longer journeys. Savings on running costs could be significant ie fuel saving of £150 to £200 per month; road tax £300 per year, insurance £1200 per year so a total of £3,300 to £3,900 per year. So I think it may be a case of spending money to save money. I was hoping to keep the old car going for another 12 months and pay cash for a new car, but I think I may go for a 3 year old car and pay for it over 12-18 months. I will need to get a home charger fitted. Iím also looking at a deal on electricity where it is generated in a sustainable manner. We are going to look at a car this weekend so lets see.
    Have a great day all!
    • Hazelnutty
    • By Hazelnutty 8th Nov 18, 9:58 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    Hazelnutty
    Sounds like a plan, GHF. I also prefer to pay cash although for the last 2 cars XH and I bought, it was actually cheaper to take out the car finance (as showroom staff were incentivised to sell it) then pay off in full after 6 months or so. They don't like to tell you that this is possible of course but once they have their commission it's no odds to them what you do. Anyway, I only mention as this could be a halfway house for you allowing you to get the car quickly but also get a few months to gather the finances together. Personally I hated it as I didn't want to take out a loan at all but XH rightly said it'd be silly to pay extra. I'm not sure what I'd do now. I'd still prefer to pay cash - I guess it depends on the maths. I'm thinking about a hybrid next too as I do a lot of small trips that are poor fuel economy. But current car is only on 55k miles so has plenty of life left in her, fingers crossed!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 10th Nov 18, 6:40 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi Hazelnutty! Thanks, that is good advice. I may well explore that option when the time comes. I feel like I am going to be forced into this shortly when the current car fails, but I don't want to be making a buying decision under that pressure. Im going to buy something that will enable me to save money in the long term. The car we wanted to see was sold during the week. I have my eye on a couple of others so we may be going to see one tomorrow.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 11th Nov 18, 7:25 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    We went to see a car today and ended up putting down a deposit on it. Our list of requirements mean that we have narrowed it down to a particular make and model. We are going to have to borrow money to pay for it. They will take our current vehicle in part exchange but Im not expecting to get much for it. I would prefer not to, but on the other hand, I intend to keep it and run it for several years. This one is 4 years old and has 40,000 miles on it. We could run it for 6-10 years. I aim to pay for it inside the next two years. In the meantime it will save us money. It wont compromise our other priorities to pay down the mortgage in less than 7 years and make additional pension contributions. In the spirit of transparency, I will report the loan in my signature, and progress to paying it off.
    DS has come home. Its really nice to see him and hear his news. He is enjoying his course and having a great time with his friends.
    Have a great Sunday evening all!
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 13th Nov 18, 7:06 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 806 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Dear diary and all,
    Hoping to do the deal on the car this week and collect it not this weekend but next. Need to find out how much they are offering on the part exchange on my current vehicle. My current thinking is to pay it off over the next 12 months as the priority. Then pick up again in 12 months the goal of building up the emergency fund, building up savings and paying down the mortgage. Hopefully the reduction in running costs should help us to do that. Reluctant to borrow money, but on the other hand the savings I have made over the last couple of years in our household costs means we have enough surplus to pay it off quickly. I have updated my signature with the amount so here we go. We are both busy at work at the moment. Only a few weeks left until Christmas and we get a break. This coming weekend we are going to a 50th party for a University friend of OH which should be fun.
    Have a great day all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,581Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin