Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chocolatepennyfarthing
    • By chocolatepennyfarthing 27th Jun 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,076Posts
    • 452Thanks
    chocolatepennyfarthing
    0 WOW
    Singapore/Australia/New Zealand advice
    • 27th Jun 18, 7:12 PM
    0 WOW
    Singapore/Australia/New Zealand advice 27th Jun 18 at 7:12 PM
    Son is planning on going on holiday to Singapore, Australia and New Zealand would welcome any advice on the best way to book flights as I am unsure how to get the best deals whether we should book all flights at once, or individually?
    Planning on going 12/13th August from London to Singapore; spending approx. 2-3 days there before flying to Sydney. Then will continue to do a bit of travelling in Australia, then heading to New Zealand end of August, early September to be back in the UK by the 8th.

Also any recommendations of hotels / things to do in Singapore or New Zealand would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jan Grocery challenge
    Budget 350 - Spent 64.45 to date
Page 2
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Jul 18, 9:12 PM
    • 14,352 Posts
    • 19,150 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Interesting. On my flight from Singapore there was an announcement that no food at all was allowed, including anything that was given out on the flight. Similar restrictions were in place between Sydney & Hobart
    Originally posted by Ballard
    We usually travel via Singapore and SIA do warn you not to take prohibited food into Oz and you get a card to fill in that asks you to declare any food that you are bringing into Oz. My wife has always declared everything she has brought with her and has never had any problems. I did have my doubts about the home made chutneys, but the bods on immigration said there was nothing we had that that was a problem. This isn't an isolated incident, we have been visiting (and taking food into) Australia regularly since 2011.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • dondo
    • By dondo 3rd Jul 18, 1:24 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    dondo
    We went to NZ via Singapore 3 years ago and loved it

We were a family with 2 young children so maybe different interests than your son but highlights were as follows:

-Singapore: Gardens by the Bay, especially if you stay until the evening and they do the light show. Also if he flies Singapore Airlines (who are great) tell him to hang onto his boarding card as it can get you discounts on entry to various places.
    New Zealand
    -Christchurch: Antarctic centre https://www.iceberg.co.nz/
    -Dunedin to The Taieri Gorge Railway trip: www.dunedinrailways.co.nz/
    -Milford sound cruise: we stayed in Te Anau and got bus from there to the boat which was best way to do it as you get chance to see scenery rather than concentrate on windy roads! We went with www.jucycruize.co.nz/ and they were great
    -Helicopter flight to Franz Josef and Fox glacier: expensive but well worth it. Go for a flight that covers both glaciers. We did it with www.glacierhelicopters.co.nz/ but got a discount voucher from here http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/listing.php?listingId=22349#voucherInfoContainer
    -Jet boating in Queenstown: we used Thunderjet but there are others
    - Glow worm caves: we did it in north island as friends of our family do tours there- quite a small set up compared to others but very good http://nikaucave.co.nz/
    -Tepui in Rotorua: geo thermal things like mud pools etc. as well as Maori meeting house and show, there are other thermal attractions in the area too.
    -Sky tower in Auckland- go up towards end of day and you'll see the skyline change from day to night. maritime museum in Auckland good too
    -Wellington: great to wander around, the Botanical Gardens and do the cable car. Great museum at Te Papa
    -Waitangi Treaty grounds: right at the top of the North Island and where the Maori treaty was signed

One of the motel owners recommended bookme.co.nz as a good site for booking discounted trips etc. We didn't use it as already had booked a good few things.
    • Ballard
    • By Ballard 3rd Jul 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    Ballard
    How could I have missed Te Papa? Such a fantastic museum? Similarly Mona in Hobart is fantastic if they go there.
    I got a letter from the government the other day. I opened it and read it. It said they were suckers.
    • roshydoshy
    • By roshydoshy 5th Jul 18, 11:45 AM
    • 810 Posts
    • 5,825 Thanks
    roshydoshy
    Flights
    If you're confident with his flight itinerary I would recommend running options through https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and then calling a flight broker or 'ethnic' travel agent - I usually use Southall Travel https://www.southalltravel.co.uk/ as they are legit and really helpful - other ones out there.
    Martin has touched on these here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-tips/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_te rm=29-May-18-9307&utm_campaign=nt-hiya&utm_content=34#drivefrance item 8!
    You just let them know the times and dates of the flights from the ITA page and they can search for the best deals - you can't book through ITA and the prices it throws up are not what you will pay (as everyone needs to make their money on top of these) but it helps with knowing when/where the cheaper flights are we booked business class return flights from Oslo to Australia for slightly more than economy returns from London - even factoring the 66 return to oslo
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 14,352 Posts
    • 19,150 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    we booked business class return flights from Oslo to Australia for slightly more than economy returns from London - even factoring the 66 return to oslo
    Originally posted by roshydoshy
    Just checked the dates I'm interested in using Singapore from Oslo. Still a lot more expensive than economy from Heathrow but 3300 cheaper than business!
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 6th Jul 18, 8:53 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    sazaccount
    Hi,

Looking at your dates there is a lot to see in a short space of time maybe only choose either Australia or Nz, Singapore personally I wasn!!!8217;t a big fan when I visited but a few friends have been and love it I did really enjoy little India for the food.

Australia is BIG I!!!8217;ve been 3 times and still not made it to Tasmania or traveling down the east coast I loved Uluru (I worked out at the resort for 5 months 9 years ago) the stars are just mind blowing!

New Zealand has so much to see it may look small but the roads don!!!8217;t go in straight lines so in a car from Wellington to Auckland takes like 10 hours I did stray bus on the South Island (and a short top of the north island I wouldof spent longer but had to return to the uk quickly to get a work visa for India) and loved it I really didn!!!8217;t think I would as I!!!8217;ve always self planned trips.the people and drivers were great (and I!!!8217;m not very sociable) on each leg they would take us to random points for self-guided walks which some were mind blowingly beautiful. I hated Auckland but I had lived in wellington for 14 months and loved the city they have very different vibes

Treat me.nz is a good website in nz for booking !!!8220;trips!!!8221; I got a really good deal in Queenstown for Milford sounds just asking the agents if they could match but for the day I wanted.

Personally I would just choose one country for the 3 weeks plus a couple of days stop over

Edit is your son under 30 or a student? Sta travel are good for these types of trips and have some good discounts if your the above or have a look at momondo.co.uk for a multistop flights Sta will price match
    Last edited by sazaccount; 06-07-2018 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Added info
    Car Loan = 54995271 4753 4293 3340.682980.54 1908 1431 - Bye Bye Car

Credit card = 765 553 475 349 0

Thanks to the hints and tips from the MSE forums I was able to travel and work abroad for nearly 3 years now saving for the next adventure to Canada!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,788Posts Today

8,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin