PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house - no viewings

Comments

• antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Yes... we knocked down wall to right of our driveway to make bigger when gateposts were there, and next door have knocked down there gateposts.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Who owns the brick part between the houses?

The gate(s)/drives look like you do with the boundary being inline with the door/brick and the right side of pedestrian gate
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Crashy wouldn't buy it at minus £15k (i.e. the seller pays him to take it) because even at that price, he'd still be out of pocket.

Doesn`t help the seller much :) How would YOU sell this house?
  • antwilson
    Who owns the brick part between the houses?

The gate(s)/drives look like you do with the boundary being inline with the door/brick and the right side of pedestrian gate

Yes that's what we always believed, but the brick part between the houses is actually half/half (we both have outhouses in this section). The boundary runs straight down the middle.
  • Crashy_Time
    You need outside photos done on a sunny day.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    If the boundary runs down the middle of the drive, I would have thought parking anything other than the smallest car would be difficult?
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • antwilson
    hb2 wrote: »
    If the boundary runs down the middle of the drive, I would have thought parking anything other than the smallest car would be difficult?

There's no physical boundary so its not a problem anyway, but if there was a physical boundary - the width I added onto one side is technically taken away from me on the other, so still a full width drive.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 1:30PM
    antwilson wrote: »
    Thanks everyone,

Retook photos myself yesterday taking into account everything that's being mentioned. Had to wait for the right sun angle so couldn't arrange for them to take the right ones anyway.

Did move trampoline in the garden, but the recent weather means the grass looks quite scorched, plus the trampoline was covering up the dead bits (which I've got grass seed down trying to fill) so looked worse without it.

Will get EA to update and hopefully might see some improvement.

It amazes me how some people can be convinced that better pictures and a little bit of tidying is what determines viewers and purchases.

Think it through yourself. I know myself, if it came to a property, no matter how untidy or poorly the pictures are taken, with a financial investment of that magnitude, what will sell it to me is various factors (value, location, condition etc) but I fathom to think of the situation where a trampoline in the garden was what made me go from "not viewing that" to "I think I'll go view that property".

But I guess, desperation is a funny thing, can make people do all sorts of things.
  • Crashy_Time
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    It amazes me how some people can be convinced that better pictures and a little bit of tidying is what determines viewers and purchases.

Think it through yourself. I know myself, if it came to a property, no matter how untidy or poorly the pictures are taken, with a financial investment of that magnitude, what will sell it to me is various factors (value, location etc) but I fathom to think of the situation where a trampoline in the garden was what made me go from "not viewing that" to "I think I'll go view that property".

But I guess, desperation is a funny thing, can make people do all sorts of things.

The worst part is that a lot of posters who are supposedly "expert" and "experienced" are encouraging this nonsense :)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What is the reasoning behind it being advertised as in Scawthorpe when it is actually in Bentley? I looked at Scawthorpe on google maps and it seems to be a much nicer area with privately owned nice housing. Bentley on the other hand is just one huge council estate and not nearly so nice.

I think your pricing is based on a 2 bed house in Scawthorpe not a 2 bed house in Bentley. Bentley is going to be £10 to £20k cheaper than Scawthorpe for a similarly sized house. In areas where there isn't a shortage of housing people will only buy on a big council estate like this if they can't afford anything better.

People are not going to choose to live in Bentley if they can afford to live anywhere else. You can buy a 3 bed in Bentley for £80 to £90k so a two bed is going to be less than this. From the price comparisons it looks as if you paid too much for it when you bought it.

In an area where there isn't a shortage of housing 2 beds are difficult to sell unless they are much cheaper than a 3 bed house.

Will you be in negative equity if you have to market it at around £80k?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure