Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antwilson
    • By antwilson 27th Jun 18, 6:02 PM
    • 133Posts
    • 15Thanks
    antwilson
    Selling house - no viewings
    • 27th Jun 18, 6:02 PM
    Selling house - no viewings 27th Jun 18 at 6:02 PM
    First time seller. We had 5 estate agents round before putting property our up for sale.

1 valued property at 90-95, with a recommended list price of offers over 90.
    3 valued property at 90-95 with a recommended list price of 95k
    1 valued property at 95-100 with a recommended list price of 97.5k.

We paid 90k 7 years ago, and most recent mortgage valuation 2 years ago was 93k.

We listed for 95k and received no viewers in the first 4 weeks and were advised to reduce the property to 92.5k. 2 weeks later we had our first viewer weekend just gone, but estate agents haven't been able to contact viewer for feedback.

Now at a loss of what else we can do, getting bored of waiting and was expecting a lot more viewers.

Any suggestions - dont really want to reduce further as I feel at this price level it would have to be 10k+ over priced (which it definitely isnt!) to put viewers off.
Page 5
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 4th Jul 18, 8:24 AM
    • 32,385 Posts
    • 19,459 Thanks
    getmore4less
    One of the houses is in a different village which has generally lower prices and a bad area due to proximity to a park. The other is a shared ownership so not really suitable for comparison!!
    Originally posted by antwilson
    Round our way parks(any open ground) are a benefit may not add money but help with selling for those with kids and dogs.

You need to focus on what things are stopping people bothering to look at yours.

The consensus seems to be there are places that look better value on paper and people are looking at those first and finding something they like so never get to yours.

I am beginning to think the market is such that most people that want to buy can afford to stretch and get the bigger places.

If really tight they are settling for the cheaper 2 beds(terrace/flats) over the most expensive 2 bed available.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 4th Jul 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 6,576 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    As I keep telling you, I have extended the drive and therefore DO have parking on my side of the boundary. I park my car there every day!!
    Originally posted by antwilson

The only place where you can park your car on your side of the boundary is next to your lawn in the front and there are no photos of this parking place in your set of photos of the house so no one can see that there is any off street parking. On street view the wall is still in place so that doesn't show offstreet parking either. Not only that but on street view there is a photo of two cars parked on the shared access with the cars partly on the neighbour's land.

If you are advertising a house with off street parking buyers want to see it so that they can judge whether they can get their car on it or how many cars they can get on it. You don't need to park your car on it you just have to have a photo of it.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Jul 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Nonsense, Surely dressing up the property and removing clutter will give a better impression of the property. Believe it or not, not everyone has the vision to see past clutter and furniture packed rooms/gardens. Why not show off the property at its best? Of course price is key but not presenting a place at its best is madness.
    Originally posted by 51mm5

Many people can look at a space and visualise what they could do with it though (many years of property TV shows have seen to that) clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount, but wouldn`t put someone off who likes the price and location IMO.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Jul 18, 1:47 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Because it can make a huge difference, rooms can look a lot smaller if they are cluttered or the photo's are poorly taken, presenting a property in the best light is always going to get you more viewers..

If you went to the supermarket and there was two bananas, one was a bit bruised and miss-shapen, and the other was not, I know which one 99% of people would go for... Obviously the price is a big factor...

So actually the worst part is complete idiots that are desperate for a house price crash giving poor and misguided advice...
    Originally posted by buggy_boy

Houses tend not to be "bruised and misshapen" though? They tend to be a set size and space in a set location, and can be brought up to any standard the new owner requires, regardless of the mess they may be in now, nothing like bananas actually
    You were right about price though
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 4th Jul 18, 3:08 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Houses tend not to be "bruised and misshapen" though? They tend to be a set size and space in a set location, and can be brought up to any standard the new owner requires, regardless of the mess they may be in now, nothing like bananas actually
    You were right about price though
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    Clearly it was a metaphor, that given the choice between a well presented house and one that is not very well presented all other factors being roughly the same the better presented house will likely get more viewers....

Ironically though even if you bought a house for the same price as a banana you would still have lost out waiting for your fabled house price crash.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 4th Jul 18, 3:12 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Many people can look at a space and visualise what they could do with it though (many years of property TV shows have seen to that) clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount, but wouldn`t put someone off who likes the price and location IMO.

Do you realise you contradicted yourself.....

You say it doesn't matter if a place is cluttered or poorly presented as people can look past it... But then you say people will use the state to try and get a discount. So a you could get less money, so it does matter.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Jul 18, 4:24 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Clearly it was a metaphor, that given the choice between a well presented house and one that is not very well presented all other factors being roughly the same the better presented house will likely get more viewers....

Ironically though even if you bought a house for the same price as a banana you would still have lost out waiting for your fabled house price crash.

Sounds like you are, internally at least, accepting that a big property price correction is in the wind?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 4th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Do you realise you contradicted yourself.....

You say it doesn't matter if a place is cluttered or poorly presented as people can look past it... But then you say people will use the state to try and get a discount. So a you could get less money, so it does matter.

I said they could try as poorly presented may also mean repairs etc. not up to date, but the reality is that now most people look at most average houses for sale and just think "Over-priced". The transaction figures bear this out.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 10,708 Posts
    • 14,052 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Referring to the banana metaphor and re presentation, I think it makes a massive difference.

Bought my last house for slightly less than next-door-but-one a few months after them in 2013, and did it up and sold for 5k more than them in 2017 (we were for sale at the same time). A viewer of their house came to view mine and preferred mine - despite it being a terrace with a paved garden and theirs an end-of-terrace with side access and a grass garden. Theirs felt smaller and a bit more dated in places, despite them being pretty much the same house. They could have bought it for less than mine though!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 5th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Sounds like you are, internally at least, accepting that a big property price correction is in the wind?

Haha you must be a delight at dinner parties....

Stranger: "Nice weather we are having today...."
    You: "No the current weather is hiding the fact there would have been a massive house price crash but people are enjoying the sun, as soon as it cools down though there will be a crash...."

I believe a property price correction could occur, or houses could continue to rise, I also believe anyone that thinks they can correctly predict the housing market one way or the other is a fool and should not be listened too.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 5th Jul 18, 9:34 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    I said they could try as poorly presented may also mean repairs etc. not up to date, but the reality is that now most people look at most average houses for sale and just think "Over-priced". The transaction figures bear this out.
    No what you said was....

"clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount"

Ah yes the transaction figures again... June was 12.1% higher than April according to HMRC..... Doh..

https://www.showhouse.co.uk/news/hmrc-reports-uptick-in-residential-property-transactions/
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 5th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    No what you said was....

"clutter/poor presentation may be a bargaining angle for a discount"

Ah yes the transaction figures again... June was 12.1% higher than April according to HMRC..... Doh..

https://www.showhouse.co.uk/news/hmrc-reports-uptick-in-residential-property-transactions/

"The number of non-adjusted residential transactions was 1.0% lower than in May 2017."
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 5th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    "The number of non-adjusted residential transactions was 1.0% lower than in May 2017."
    So between April and May it increase by 13.1%... So May was a particularly busy month, and June is only just behind... Hardly a crash in transaction levels over the last few months.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 6th Jul 18, 12:24 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    So between April and May it increase by 13.1%... So May was a particularly busy month, and June is only just behind... Hardly a crash in transaction levels over the last few months.

Still lower than last year though?
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 8th Jul 18, 1:32 PM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2018/6/transactions-plummet-across-greater-london-says-investment-consultancy

Last sentence is comedy gold
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 8th Jul 18, 10:03 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    Get a life, yes people are holding off because of uncertainty, London has been overheated for way too long... For month after month and year after year you predict a crash in prices yet month after month and year after year you are wrong...
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 8th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 2,659 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    No viewings usually comes down to price. House looks ok, nothing that would stop a viewing.

On the drive situation to throw my 2p worth into the ring...

There are absolutely thousands of council houses built to this (or very similar) blueprint throughout the UK. The drive was originally a shared path, one gate and path for 2 houses. Sometimes in the deeds it is specified that the drive belongs to one house BUT has to allow unhindered access to the other house. The land either side of this path belongs to the respective properties regardless.

The picture someone kindly provided a link to shows the car parked fully on the homeowners own side. Both can park while leaving the original pathway clear, so no issue whatsoever.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 9th Jul 18, 9:41 AM
    • 6,245 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Get a life, yes people are holding off because of uncertainty, London has been overheated for way too long... For month after month and year after year you predict a crash in prices yet month after month and year after year you are wrong...

You sound slightly annoyed, is the reality of where house prices are headed annoying you a bit perhaps? Someone who trolls every single post that someone makes telling them to get a life is funny, a bit like someone with a bumper sized mortgage debt advising people on the internet to do the same The crash in prices comes when rates have to rise, the crash in transactions is already here, so many people will be finding it difficult to offload property at anything near what they paid IMO.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 9th Jul 18, 5:05 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    You sound slightly annoyed, is the reality of where house prices are headed annoying you a bit perhaps? Someone who trolls every single post that someone makes telling them to get a life is funny, a bit like someone with a bumper sized mortgage debt advising people on the internet to do the same The crash in prices comes when rates have to rise, the crash in transactions is already here, so many people will be finding it difficult to offload property at anything near what they paid IMO.
    I think that what's annoying is that you turn up on what seems like every single thread of this type, saying the same unhelpful-to-the-OP things, when there's literally an entire MSE forum dedicated to the exact thing what you want to discuss.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 9th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 501 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    You really need to look up the definition of internet troll.....

In Internet slang, a troll (/tro!!!650;l, tr!!!594;l/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community.

Does that ring any bells? Everyone is fed up with you hijacking so many threads when there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to house prices...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

9,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• The fight to divorce mental health and debt... https://t.co/G3pyGje6Kh

• Follow Martin