Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westbridgfordguy
    • By westbridgfordguy 27th Jun 18, 12:56 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 21Thanks
    westbridgfordguy
    Late once in 2 years and boss complained
    • 27th Jun 18, 12:56 PM
    Late once in 2 years and boss complained 27th Jun 18 at 12:56 PM
    Am working my notice period at the moment as a middle manager in a small sized company. Have been there for nearly 2 years have never been late or taken a day off sick for that matter in that time. Regularly worked unpaid overtime, came in at weekends to finish project work off.

Arrived ten minutes late at work yesterday no important meeting that I should have attended, nothing critical that I missed being ten minutes late. Received an email from my line manager this morning saying that he had noted on the clocking system that I was ten minutes late and what was the reason for this?

I actually had to calm myself after I read this and would like suggestions how to reply to this professionally and pragmatically. TIA
Page 2
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 27th Jun 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    boo_star
    It's quite common for people to think that a good record means immunity when things go wrong. Rarely the case, though it is in my case
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    It's common because it's a reasonable stance to take.

"I often don't leave exactly on time so it's not going to be a problem if I occasionally don't make it in exactly on time."

But it basically never works that way. It's not a give and take relationship, it's all take. They expect you to be on time all the time and leave late if requested.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 27th Jun 18, 11:35 PM
    • 19,205 Posts
    • 19,704 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    For all you know, he may be protecting himself. X, round the corner, is always late. He doesn't want to be in the situation where X can say 'you never challenge anyone else when they are late. OP was 10 minutes late recently and you didn't say anything'
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 27th Jun 18, 11:47 PM
    • 908 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I get where you are coming from.................I hate to think of the hours...yes hours a month my daughter gives the NHS.

If may have just been an innocent question or maybe a dig because you are leaving. Either way, who cares. A simple..............."sorry traffic" and that's all he gets. Now until you leave don't do a minute over your contracted hours and take all your lunch hours.
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 28th Jun 18, 11:53 AM
    • 260 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Maybe they have been told to ask...

Say sorry, but don't keep saying it. Move on.
    • Nothanks
    • By Nothanks 28th Jun 18, 10:10 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Nothanks
    "Sorry boss, it was because of (REASON).

I should have popped over to let you know, but wanted to crack on.

Won't happen again."

Move on with life.
    Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 28th Jun 18, 10:46 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I can see why you are annoyed (I would be too) but with things like this it is always best to take the emotion out of it.

Personally I would reply with -my apologies this is the first time I have been late in two years and it happened because ..... -

Just be factual.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 29th Jun 18, 9:41 AM
    • 4,888 Posts
    • 3,995 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    "Sorry boss, it was because of (REASON).

I should have popped over to let you know, but wanted to crack on.

Won't happen again."

Move on with life.
    Originally posted by Nothanks
    I wouldn't even promise for it never to happen again as it inevitably will. Say sorry, give a plausible reason and move on. Someone being late once in a blue moon isn't an issue, it's called having a life outside of work.
    • sparkermarketing
    • By sparkermarketing 29th Jun 18, 10:49 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    sparkermarketing
    It's common because it's a reasonable stance to take.

"I often don't leave exactly on time so it's not going to be a problem if I occasionally don't make it in exactly on time."

But it basically never works that way. It's not a give and take relationship, it's all take. They expect you to be on time all the time and leave late if requested.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    in my previous job:
    boss "can you explain why you were so late (10mins) this morning?"
    me: "traffic was a lot worse than normal, however I was in 15 minutes early yesterday and I thought there was an element of flexible working in this job?"
    boss: "that doesn't matter, dont be late again"

I didn't do a minute longer than my contracted hours after that.
    And he wondered why his staff turnover was running at 40% a year.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 29th Jun 18, 1:46 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 29,809 Thanks
    bugslet
    in my previous job:
    boss "can you explain why you were so late (10mins) this morning?"
    me: "traffic was a lot worse than normal, however I was in 15 minutes early yesterday and I thought there was an element of flexible working in this job?"
    boss: "that doesn't matter, dont be late again"

I didn't do a minute longer than my contracted hours after that.
    And he wondered why his staff turnover was running at 40% a year.
    Originally posted by sparkermarketing
    My finance manager was late in the other week, birthday, England match, darts game all conspired to delay him by two hours ( he rang in and said he was going to wait for the traffic to die down before coming in) and I said, 'age ** and you can still party. Kudos!'

We take the view that as long as it isn't vital that you be in at a specific time, ie you aren't keeping a colleague or a customer waiting, then it doesn't matter occasionally. It's all swings and roundabouts. Explains why my staff retention is over 80% - and a good proportion of the 20% retire.
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    takman
    Am working my notice period at the moment as a middle manager in a small sized company. Have been there for nearly 2 years have never been late or taken a day off sick for that matter in that time. Regularly worked unpaid overtime, came in at weekends to finish project work off.

Arrived ten minutes late at work yesterday no important meeting that I should have attended, nothing critical that I missed being ten minutes late. Received an email from my line manager this morning saying that he had noted on the clocking system that I was ten minutes late and what was the reason for this?

I actually had to calm myself after I read this and would like suggestions how to reply to this professionally and pragmatically. TIA
    Originally posted by westbridgfordguy
    I don't understand why you "had to calm yourself down" as that seems like a massive overreaction for simply asking the reason. It could have been that you forgot to clock in and clocked in 10 minutes later so the time needs correcting on the system.
    • SueC
    • By SueC 4th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 1,890 Thanks
    SueC
    If your salary was late going into your bank account one month, would the fact that it had been on time every month for the last two years make it okay?

Apologise, explain, don't do it again, move on.
    • beckysheffield
    • By beckysheffield 4th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    beckysheffield
    If your salary was late going into your bank account one month, would the fact that it had been on time every month for the last two years make it okay?

Originally posted by SueC
    Cool. In future he will make sure he will only do the advertised hours and not put in any overtime or help the business in any way.
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 4th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 498 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2

Originally posted by westbridgfordguy

You was late..offers no formal apology and got angry as he dare ask why you was late...
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 12th Jul 18, 7:03 AM
    • 908 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    scd3scd4

Originally posted by SueC

No problem boss, that why the Union now makes you pay for every 15 minutes over contracted hours at over-time rate. You loss boss............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,205Posts Today

8,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Worried about your finances? Or maybe you just want to know some tips and tricks for getting the best money-saving deals??

• About to start @thismorning talking about why everyone should check their mortgage rates and then may be able to sa? https://t.co/ulkdPb031h

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you / would you wear fur? Reports coming out today that even some fur labeled fake actual? https://t.co/QUh6P9TVgh

• Follow Martin