Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 27th Jun 18, 9:44 AM
    • 2,626Posts
    • 1,548Thanks
    anotheruser
    Why Do Some People Not Like Contactless?
    • 27th Jun 18, 9:44 AM
    Why Do Some People Not Like Contactless? 27th Jun 18 at 9:44 AM
    I sort of understand the whole "not secure" business but this isn't about contactless as a whole.

There's two specific issues I'm not sure I understand:

If your bank card already has contactless, it's enabled by default.
    So if you're buying something under 30, why wouldn't you use it? It's quicker, easier.

You can't say it's not secure because YOU are authorising/agreeing to the payment.

So I'm not sure why people deliberately inconvenience themselves through not understanding about contactless.

The second is less of an issue as I sort of understand it a bit more.
    It's the use of (sometimes very flimsy) pockets to keep cards in to stop people being able to skim their card. I've watched many people fiddle about trying to get their card out of one its bordering on funny. I understand the security but I asked someone about it once. I said if it was a big problem, you'd hear about it in the media. You're more likely to get scammed over the phone than have your card skimmed by someone on the street.
    So much so, is that little silly wallet worth it?

Interested in others opinions.
Page 6
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 3rd Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Well do you have a point for this thread or not?
    In what way is there 'no need'?
    Originally posted by custardy
    The methods that already existed were fine. So no need. Is sticking a card in a slot and typing four numbers really that much of a chore?
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 3rd Jul 18, 6:12 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Again,what is this based on? My payments are near instantly showing and removed from my balance.
    The only purchase I can think of that doesn't is pay at pump,but that isnt contactless and down to the way these payments are processed.

you realise you are telling someone who works in retail how to work in retail?
    I believe in their example they aren't instant. And they didnt get stroppy at me stating my opinion, why are you?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Jul 18, 6:19 PM
    • 34,006 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    custardy
    The methods that already existed were fine. So no need. Is sticking a card in a slot and typing four numbers really that much of a chore?
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Well is it so hard to carry cash? Using your Luddite logic we should still be bartering with chickens and bread.

I believe in their example they aren't instant. And they didnt get stroppy at me stating my opinion, why are you?
    No,the flaw is in people spending money they don't have. Although I can see why you wouldn't get that.
    your opinion seems based on what others have said. I use use contactless daily on cards & devices with debit/credit cards.
    Last edited by custardy; 03-07-2018 at 6:44 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 7,164 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Well is it so hard to carry cash? Using your Luddite logic we should still be bartering with chickens and bread.

No,the flaw is in people spending money they don't have. Although I can see why you wouldn't get that.
    your opinion seems based on what others have said. I use use contactless daily on cards & devices with debit/credit cards.
    Goats and beads works just fine for me... Luddites unite!
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 3rd Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 30,197 Thanks
    bugslet
    I'm hopeless with cards, I spend, ergo I'm better drawing out x amount in cash every week and that's my budget sorted. Can't see why people are fussed one way or the other what other people do.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 3rd Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 34,006 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    custardy
    Goats and beads works just fine for me... Luddites unite!
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Goats!,get Mr money barter bags here!
    • colinw
    • By colinw 3rd Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    • 53,058 Posts
    • 146,960 Thanks
    colinw
    It!!!8217;s my chosen way of purchasing a peppered pie
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 3rd Jul 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,342 Posts
    • 4,776 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    It!!!8217;s my chosen way of purchasing a peppered pie
    Originally posted by colinw

What with a goat?
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 3rd Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 7,164 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Goats!,get Mr money barter bags here!
    Mr? Wrong!
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jul 18, 3:37 AM
    • 34,006 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    custardy
    Mr? Wrong!
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Yo see now I'm in a quandary. I have Ms,Mrs,non gender specific non labelling non GMO, artist formally known as Smodlet.

I need a safe space.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 4th Jul 18, 10:34 AM
    • 3,926 Posts
    • 7,164 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Yo see now I'm in a quandary. I have Ms,Mrs,non gender specific non labelling non GMO, artist formally known as Smodlet.

I need a safe space.
    I have no idea what you are on about.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 4th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    The other week, I had a customer that had a strop with me as her contactless card wasn't working. She then said it's a new card. I had a new card sent earlier this year and on the sticker was something on the lines of "please use chip n pin on first use". So it's a security measure just in case the card was misdelivered to a wrong address.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 4th Jul 18, 10:55 AM
    • 53,058 Posts
    • 146,960 Thanks
    colinw
    What with a goat?
    Originally posted by Spider In The Bath
    Contactless goats yes
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 4th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,085 Posts
    • 10,690 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Well - contact with goats is considered a bit suspicious in towns - maybe OK in more rural areas.
    Womble #7 - Running Total 17.15 $2.69 5.68 S//0.10 (10 Ukrainian kopiyki) Bds$0.10 A$0.15 NZ$0.55 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.60 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees) KD0.05 (Kuwaiti fils) MDL0.25 (Moldovan bani)
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 4th Jul 18, 6:56 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie

But we have bank cards for using a cash machine anywhere there is one. There is an actual good argument for the existence of bank cards. The extra contactless function just exists because of the we can do it so we will logic.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 4th Jul 18, 6:59 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie

My view was based on the whole of what the poster said which explained some are left unsure due to a delay. Yes some fault still lies with them but if it were instant there would be no mistake. That is why i say the main fault is with the delay.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 34,006 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    custardy
    But we have bank cards for using a cash machine anywhere there is one. There is an actual good argument for the existence of bank cards. The extra contactless function just exists because of the we can do it so we will logic.

once again,you struggle.
    You are still talking about paying by cash.
    So you are fine with the removal of card payments? You can just pay cash?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 4th Jul 18, 7:01 PM
    • 34,006 Posts
    • 28,901 Thanks
    custardy
    My view was based on the whole of what the poster said which explained some are left unsure due to a delay. Yes some fault still lies with them but if it were instant there would be no mistake. That is why i say the main fault is with the delay.
    So you have no experience with contactless payments?
    Are contactless payments more likely to be delayed vs chip & pin?
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 4th Jul 18, 7:04 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    once again,you struggle.
    You are still talking about paying by cash.
    So you are fine with the removal of card payments? You can just pay cash?
    No its quite clear. Contactless is needless as it doesnt really add much convenience. Bank cards existing means you can go to the nearest machine 24/7 if you need money and not wait until your bank opens. Contactless just saves you from putting a card in a slot and typing 4 numbers, oh the hardwork that must be for some, lol.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 4th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 28,102 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    So you have no experience with contactless payments?
    Are contactless payments more likely to be delayed vs chip & pin?
    I dont know. As i said my post was based on what the poster said. I was offered a contactless card by my bank. I said no thanks. I dont find putting a card in a slot and typing 4 numbers too much like hard work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,253Users online

Martin's Twitter