Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 26th Jun 18, 7:48 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 7Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes
    • 26th Jun 18, 7:48 PM
    MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes 26th Jun 18 at 7:48 PM
    Millions of BT customers are facing yet another round of price hikes from September, MoneySavingExpert can reveal, with line rental, broadband, TV, BT Sport and calls costs set to rise for some...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Stephen B; 27-06-2018 at 2:04 PM.
Page 4
    • Ken2000
    • By Ken2000 5th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ken2000
    Yes change your mind or potentially owe BT £112 +
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    I've changed my mind, I might change it again in a couple of days.
    • Hopelessly Addicted
    • By Hopelessly Addicted 5th Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Hopelessly Addicted
    Hopelessly Addicted what number did you call? When I called this time I was put through to department who specifies in trying to offer a better deal to keep you. I told her the only deal BT had offered me so far (by two different people) was locking my price so that the price rise wouldn!!!8217;t effect me and I declined that instantly. The lady today managed to find me a better deal in a matter of minutes.
    Originally posted by make_the_change
    Oh, I didn't get offered anything like this. I just called the customer service line and I when the autmoated voice asked me what I was calling for, I said 'leave BT', at which point I was on hold for ages before someone answered my call. I assumed I was put through to retentions, but I guess not, because the best deal they could offer me was to stay on the same deal I'm on at the moment - I think both were slightly more expensive tha what I'm on at the moment.

EDIT: Can you please let me know what you were offered?

Thanks.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 6th Jul 18, 12:12 AM
    • 3,963 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    boatman
    By BT sending you a letter or email, they know full well they should not be charging cancellation fees within the next 30 days. I don't see why you need to call them, they just want you to call so they can lie and hassle you in to staying. If they really want you to inform them they could have provided an email address, but they don't, for a very good reason....
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 6th Jul 18, 8:59 AM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Roger1
    A question about the checker:
    - when there's an offer that includes 11/15/whatever channels (usually Sky), are Freeview channels still available?
    Originally posted by Roger1
    Does anybody know the answer to this, please?

Thanks.
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 6th Jul 18, 9:38 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    make_the_change
    Hopelessly Addicted I was initially offered the same price as I pay now by two different people. I declined. I then got through to the loyalty department who knocked my bill down by £9 (after the price increase) and I didnít even have to argue. They found that deal instantly.
    DMP Started June 2016
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    What number was this loyalty department ??
    • MoneyMate
    • By MoneyMate 6th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 13,418 Thanks
    MoneyMate
    From bt.athome@ecomm.bt.com with date stamp and time on email. Received by me with this info attached,
    If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time.
    Thank you for choosing us !!!8211; and we hope you continue to get the best out of our services.
    Julie Etheridge
    Director
    Customer Care

Is there any stipulation as to how long after you've told bt your leaving to new provider ?
    Last edited by MoneyMate; 06-07-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    There are more questions than answers
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times
    UK Resident
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 6th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    make_the_change
    0800 028 3098
    DMP Started June 2016
    • Hopelessly Addicted
    • By Hopelessly Addicted 6th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Hopelessly Addicted
    Hopelessly Addicted I was initially offered the same price as I pay now by two different people. I declined. I then got through to the loyalty department who knocked my bill down by £9 (after the price increase) and I didnít even have to argue. They found that deal instantly.
    Originally posted by make_the_change
    Thank you. I ended up calling earlier this morning and was offered a much better deal. It's actually a discount. The rep I spoke to on the phone yesterday was really abrupt and wouldn't budget, but today's rep was much nicer. He actually offered me a discount, so I decided to stick with BT. It's only £3 more than what I'd have paid Virgin, so happy to stick with them for now. I'd happily switch to Virgin but was a bit nervous about the stories I hear about them doing traffic management for their broadband. Yes, I could get 200MB fibre from Virgin, but I've read about speeds going to around 2-20mb in the evenings. I'm reguarly getting 70+MB from BT.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 6th Jul 18, 11:54 AM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Is there any stipulation as to how long after you've told bt your leaving to new provider ?
    Originally posted by MoneyMate

You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider

As i understand it > free get out ends 30 days after notification to BT . Thats what i was told on three previous price rise letters/ called
    • shavy65
    • By shavy65 6th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    shavy65
    I`ve been paying £25 pcm (£15 Super fast BB & £10 BT Sports), I called to find out it would increase to £27.
    I asked if there was anything we could do, ended up signing up to another 18 month contract with a discounted price to £22 pcm.
    Happy with that, hope that helps someone.
    3.975 kWp System, South facing, 21 degree pitch, 15 x Canadian Solar Elps, Samil Inverter, location NE Scotland (Fraserburgh) Bring on the Sun
    • Hopelessly Addicted
    • By Hopelessly Addicted 6th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Hopelessly Addicted
    I`ve been paying £25 pcm (£15 Super fast BB & £10 BT Sports), I called to find out it would increase to £27.
    I asked if there was anything we could do, ended up signing up to another 18 month contract with a discounted price to £22 pcm.
    Happy with that, hope that helps someone.
    Originally posted by shavy65
    Which superfast broadband are you on, is it fibre? And if so, is it fibre 1 or 2? I have the 76mb speed, which they can't provide as good a discount for They told me if I switch to fibre 1 (50mb), they could do a better price, but I wanted to stick to the higher speed. Ended up on this new-fangled fibre plus package which doesn't actually increase my speed but gives me a guarantee of no increase in broadband cost for the next 18 months and they'll send a 4G router in the post if my internet goes down or something like that. Doesn't sound like an amazing new package to be honest, just some fancy marketing to have a higher-priced tariff.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Jul 18, 1:03 PM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Superfast the old up to 50 meg Infinity 1

Limited and unlimited downloads .

Superfast Plus the old Infinity 2 up to 76 meg .
    • sdmitch
    • By sdmitch 7th Jul 18, 1:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    sdmitch
    I'm a newbie here, so please excuse the long and rambling post/rant against BT!

Hopefully someone can help me out here or give some advice.

Here's my current situation:

I have Virgin Media broadband and have had it for years - happy with the cost and speed (300Mbps on cable). Address is non-serviceable for calls from Virgin (long story) and so have no option but to have BT landline at £18.99 per month.

My wife and I also have BT Yahoo email accounts (Talk21) which we have had for 20 years when BT included it free as part of their calling plans.

Now BT want to charge £7.50 per month each to retain those email accounts - another £15 per month on top of £19.99 per month (after another £1 increase) for a landline which we barely use.

The only way to keep the email accounts for free is to have BT broadband & BT keep trying to convince me to take their broadband package, but highest speed is 67Mbps and even that is variable - so a no go compared to Virgin and their speed of service (regularly tested at 250-350 Mbps).

Reluctantly my wife & I now appear to have little option but to begin the very painful migration process away from our Talk21 email accounts.

I want as little to do with BT now and am considering trying to take the Post Office Home Phone, which appears to be available at £11.50 per month. Here's the question:

The Post Office T&C's are as follows:

HOME PHONE: Offers available for new sign-ups with a working phone line only (excludes cable phone lines) and customers who don't have fixed line broadband from Post Office or any other broadband provider.

Is my Virgin Cable a fixed line broadband? - I think not, but others may have a different point of view.

Does anyone have any advice on whether the Post Office Landline is an option and also and good tips on migrating an email account with so much history attached to it (although it will get us away from so much junk mail!)

Thanks
    Last edited by sdmitch; 07-07-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Jul 18, 2:48 PM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You have a working phone line its the one PO will use .

BB as posted elsewhere PO would not know you have BB with VM . They would only know if you had BB down the BT OR line .

Do you need to migrate huge amounts of history .Unusual unless its a business .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have Virgin Media broadband and have had it for years - happy with the cost and speed (300Mbps on cable). Address is non-serviceable for calls from Virgin (long story) and so have no option but to have BT landline at £18.99 per month.
    Originally posted by sdmitch
    I thought Virgin telephone line uses the cable? Is there a short version as to why you can't get it?
    • sdmitch
    • By sdmitch 8th Jul 18, 11:06 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    sdmitch
    Short story is that cable at our property was installed over 25 years ago by NTL - only installed for cable tv. Virgin took over and installed fibre but only to the junction box on the street - deemed too expensive to bring cable all the way into telephone points in the property. Virgin have always insisted that address is non-serviceable for telephone. Broadband works fine and speed is regularly over 300 Mbps.
    • frankst237
    • By frankst237 10th Jul 18, 3:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    frankst237
    I have a question because I have been told 2 different things by 2 different BT reps.

I got my price rise email on 26th June and it states:
    "If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider)"

It doesn't say anything about simply signing up for another 18 month contract to avoid the September increases - this is initiated by following the ACT NOW link in the email taking me to my account to see what deals are available.

I added BT Infinity to my landline (already from BT) in January this year and am actually very happy with it. Consistent 50 / 52 Mb/s download and a reliable service up to now. Costing me £37.49 per month with fully inclusive calls. We also use BT Smartalk (the mobile phone app) a lot when travelling so that is a bonus as was the £125 'gift card' as part of the deal.

So, the question. I wanted to know how long I could wait before re-signing for 18 months to avoid the September increase in order to maximise the time before my 'new' 18 month contract expires. The first rep said that I could wait until early September but a different one (today) says that I have 30 days from the date of the email (26th June).

As I said earlier, no mention in the email or anywhere I can see about this 30 day limit so does anyone KNOW which it is - do we users get sight of this supposed 30 day renewal limit anywhere?

If it is 30 days I need to move by 20th to 24th July 30 days from email date) to get another 18 month contract at my current price so any solid info would be useful.

Thanks, Frank
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 10th Jul 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 19,240 Thanks
    mije1983
    I have a question because I have been told 2 different things by 2 different BT reps.

I got my price rise email on 26th June and it states:
    "If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days from the date of this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider)"

It doesn't say anything about simply signing up for another 18 month contract to avoid the September increases - this is initiated by following the ACT NOW link in the email taking me to my account to see what deals are available.

I added BT Infinity to my landline (already from BT) in January this year and am actually very happy with it. Consistent 50 / 52 Mb/s download and a reliable service up to now. Costing me £37.49 per month with fully inclusive calls. We also use BT Smartalk (the mobile phone app) a lot when travelling so that is a bonus as was the £125 'gift card' as part of the deal.

So, the question. I wanted to know how long I could wait before re-signing for 18 months to avoid the September increase in order to maximise the time before my 'new' 18 month contract expires. The first rep said that I could wait until early September but a different one (today) says that I have 30 days from the date of the email (26th June).

As I said earlier, no mention in the email or anywhere I can see about this 30 day limit so does anyone KNOW which it is - do we users get sight of this supposed 30 day renewal limit anywhere?

If it is 30 days I need to move by 20th to 24th July 30 days from email date) to get another 18 month contract at my current price so any solid info would be useful.

Thanks, Frank
    Originally posted by frankst237

It'll be 30 days from the email to take out the new deal. After that, as you have lost the ability to move penalty free, BT will have no need to offer you a better deal as you will have accepted the new prices.

Come September, you will have no leverage, so will be hoping for goodwill from BT. And as you will then be still locked in to your current agreement, they are not likely to give you a better deal.

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 10,615 Posts
    • 4,509 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    The 30 days is well posted on the forum for the last couple of years .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,768Posts Today

8,162Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin