Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 26th Jun 18, 7:48 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 9Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes
    • 26th Jun 18, 7:48 PM
    MSE News: BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes 26th Jun 18 at 7:48 PM
    Millions of BT customers are facing yet another round of price hikes from September, MoneySavingExpert can reveal, with line rental, broadband, TV, BT Sport and calls costs set to rise for some...
    Read the full story:
    'BT to raise prices AGAIN - how to beat the hikes'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Stephen B; 27-06-2018 at 2:04 PM.
Page 3
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 4th Jul 18, 5:38 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    BT Price Increase Leaving Problem
    I have been notified of the latest BT broadband price increase and contacted BT on Friday about giving them notice to leave penalty free. The man on the phone told me I have a right to leave and to do this I was to find another provider who will take over.

I done this straight away and then had a letter saying I had been hit with over £250 worth of charges for leaving. I just come off the phon to BT and was informed I have a right to leave within 30 days of the email however if I wish to join a new provider, the new connection must be live within 14 days of the email and mine isnít. Therefore I can not leave them for 30 days from notification and my line must be fully cut before I join someone new otherwise face the charges.

Can someone please clarify? Iím so angry with the patronising gentleman today and lack of information being given from my initial contact with BT.

Thanks!!
    DMP Started June 2016
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 4th Jul 18, 6:05 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Mister G
    Now that the Mods have moved your post, I suggest you read the preceding posts which explain fairly clearly the process.

BT seem to have gained a bit of a reputation for giving false information.
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 4th Jul 18, 6:09 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    I have read them but am still a little confused and angry at the conflicting info BT have provided and am not 100% sure what I should do now. Thanks in advance.
    DMP Started June 2016
    • Ken2000
    • By Ken2000 4th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ken2000
    I just ordered a Vodafone Broadband Package, but spoke to BT, who said that they've not sent me out a letter or email yet, which is true. Is there a danger that if the switch occurs before I receive the letter from BT, that I'll need to pay cancellation charges?
    • ashe
    • By ashe 4th Jul 18, 7:32 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    ashe
    Not had a letter yet but we only took it out in may and had 130 reward card & 95 topcashback, will gladly cancel & take out in my partners name for the same again. Retention only offered to keep price the same
    • boatman
    • By boatman 4th Jul 18, 9:50 PM
    • 4,101 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    boatman
    I just ordered a Vodafone Broadband Package, but spoke to BT, who said that they've not sent me out a letter or email yet, which is true. Is there a danger that if the switch occurs before I receive the letter from BT, that I'll need to pay cancellation charges?
    Originally posted by Ken2000
    You need to wait for the letter/email, you then have 30 days to tell them you are leaving.

Be careful though, there is always the chance that BT will record you as having had the email but you don't receive it, so you won't know when your 30 days start. In theory you could argue you weren't told but it turns a bit messy.
    • Ken2000
    • By Ken2000 5th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ken2000
    Thanks, I suppose I could always call them every 20 days or so to ask whether they've sent the email/letter.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Jul 18, 8:34 AM
    • 11,216 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You have initiated a switch . That process takes xx days to be notified to BT .
    If you have not cancelled due to price rise before BT receiving switch notification is the key point .
    Its a straight swap and you are not cancelling as per price rise >> pay up contract >
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 5th Jul 18, 9:35 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    I spoke to BT who said the way to initiate the cancellation based on the price increase was to find a new company and switch which I did. Thatís why I am confused.
    DMP Started June 2016
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 5th Jul 18, 9:55 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    I received yet another email from BT regarding cancellation but this time no mention of charges. So I called them up again, moaned about the lack of info from the first call, the confusing call last night and now the same email disregarding any note of charges and I got offered a new deal at £9 cheaper than what I was paying with no price increase! Happy days. Why does it always take a battle to get anywhere. All sorted! Anyone else confused with BT, keep pushing! It does work!!!!
    DMP Started June 2016
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 5th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,611 Posts
    • 1,260 Thanks
    bxboards
    How are people receiving these letters? In the post, or via e-mail?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,586 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Why does it always take a battle to get anywhere.
    Originally posted by make_the_change
    Because they're a business and they want to (have to actually) make as much money as possible for their shareholders. You have to be persistent and actually mean it if you need to swap suppliers.

How are people receiving these letters? In the post, or via e-mail?
    Originally posted by bxboards
    Both I believe, it'll depend on your marketing preferences.
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 5th Jul 18, 10:08 AM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    Communication with BT is always via email for me
    DMP Started June 2016
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 5th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Mister G
    I received yet another email from BT regarding cancellation but this time no mention of charges. So I called them up again, moaned about the lack of info from the first call, the confusing call last night and now the same email disregarding any note of charges and I got offered a new deal at £9 cheaper than what I was paying with no price increase! Happy days. Why does it always take a battle to get anywhere. All sorted! Anyone else confused with BT, keep pushing! It does work!!!!
    Originally posted by make_the_change
    Well done! Hopefully this will help others in a similar situation.
    • Hopelessly Addicted
    • By Hopelessly Addicted 5th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Hopelessly Addicted
    I received the BT e-mail two days ago, and gave them a call this morning. We've been with BT for yonks, phone line and broadband and have been putting up with these price rises for too long, whilst new customers get amazing deals.

I currently pay £48.49 for broadband and phone line rental, Fibre (76mb), which would rise to £52.48 a month in September with the price rise.

I also pay £16.50 for the BT Sport HD package which I'm aware is a discounted rate due to being a broadband customer, which would be rising to £18.50.

The only deal they could offer me was to join BT Fibre Plus which would take my package deal to a monthly £61.98. Or staying on Fibre 2 which I'm on right now would take my cost in September to £58.98.

They wouldn't budge even though I told them about the new customer prices. I didn't even expect new customer prices, just a discount for being a loyal customer for so long.

Virgin Media is offering me 200MB fibre, phone line with anytime calls to landlines and mobiles and TV for £42/month for 12 months! I have Sky, so I'm not going to get the TV installed, I'm just going to have it on my account, because without the TV it's £47/month. They're also going to give me a £50 credit on my bill, so the first month and a bit is free.

Outside of BT's crazy price increases, the service has been good. So I plan to start being a bit more of a savvy consumer and will re-join adter 12 months when my Virgin prices will no doubt be going up again!! I'm just going to flip flop between providers each year, I think.

EDIT: thanks for the info on these BT cancellation 'charges'. They told me on the phone that I can switch by August 4th, that's when my 30-day period ends. So if I receive any e-mails with charges, I'm aware I shouldn't be.
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 5th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    Hopelessly Addicted what number did you call? When I called this time I was put through to department who specifies in trying to offer a better deal to keep you. I told her the only deal BT had offered me so far (by two different people) was locking my price so that the price rise wouldnít effect me and I declined that instantly. The lady today managed to find me a better deal in a matter of minutes.
    DMP Started June 2016
    • make_the_change
    • By make_the_change 5th Jul 18, 12:41 PM
    • 428 Posts
    • 2,224 Thanks
    make_the_change
    BT seem to be giving out misleading info by different people....

Person 1 I spoke to said itís fine to cancel penalty free, just switch to a new provider and all will be fine.

Email 1 said sorry youíre leaving and that I broke the contract and hav charges.

Person 2 I spoke to said that my new broadband had to be Ďliveí within 14 days of the email confirming the price hike otherwise I would have to wait 30 days until it was disconnected and only then could I join someone else.

Email 2 said sorry youíre leaving and did NOT outline any charges.

Person 3 I spoke to apologised for the miscommunication and gave me a better deal instantly.
    DMP Started June 2016
    • Ken2000
    • By Ken2000 5th Jul 18, 1:00 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ken2000
    Funny that I have to wait to receive a letter before swapping, despite me telling them that my reason for wanting to switch is due to the upcoming price increases. I did speak to someone there, who informed me that I would be receiving the letter in the next couple of days. I've also just had an email from BT stating that I'll owe them £112.42 if I go ahead with this switch.

Wondering whether I should 'Change my Mind' now, then wait for the letter, then go ahead with the switch.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 5th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 11,216 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Yes change your mind or potentially owe BT £112 +
    • mnbvcxz
    • By mnbvcxz 5th Jul 18, 3:45 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    mnbvcxz
    When I left about a year ago the process went something like this;

wait for the notification of the price rise and then call the number to complain within 30 days.

You call and say you are leaving. They open a 30 day window from then in which you can sign up with another provider penalty free. You MUST have had the notice and have told the right people that you are leaving because of the price rise. You can't just leave.

You sign up with another provider and get a notice from BT saying you will be charged a penalty. You call up to dispute the penalty and this is their chance to give you the actual really good stop you from leaving, leaving offer, which is generally pretty good.

You either take their offer and cancel you migration or you carry on. Bt will then often "forget" to refund you line rental. So you call up to prompt them. You get an indian? who doesn't understand that 14 days notice means you have to wait at least 14 days notice for your migration to happen. NOT the other way around. They will have no power to do anything but try and come up with an excuse for why everything is OK based on their hazy abstract understanding of the system.

But if you stand firm and say you don't accept their ideas then they should escalate you to the next team.

The next team then eventually calls you back and apologises and refunds your line rental.

Then you carry on with your next provider (probably owned by BT) until they raise their prices and then the whole thing starts again under their own custom set of rules...

I can't swear this is all accurate but its how it worked for me. I hope its some help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,529Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter