new day rules - multiple cards

Hi

I’ve had an aqua card with newday for 8 months now. Was approved for an amazon card with the same company newday on the weekend. Amazon is the brand on the card but aqua also lend under new Day as well as amazon.

My question is what is the rule on multiple cards? Am I right in thinking that you can have one amazon and one aqua for example but not two aqua cards or two amazon cards? Or should you not have more than one newday card altogether? Heard rumours the system doesn’t check and then they can shut your card down later on. Your advice would be great!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's not clearly defined, even internally.

Certainly multiple cards of the same brand get shut down from time to time - as does overlap between aqua and marbles.

Amazon and the store cards generally sit outside of the sub prime category so you should be ok to have multiples of those.
  • It's not clearly defined, even internally.

Certainly multiple cards of the same brand get shut down from time to time - as does overlap between aqua and marbles.

Amazon and the store cards generally sit outside of the sub prime category so you should be ok to have multiples of those.

remember amazon is just the "face" of the card so to speak. newday is the actual lender as with aqua so it is still essentially a sub-prime card right?

the minimum credit limit is £500 which is higher than others but still not quite out the subprime zone unless im wrong.

so what you mean in your post is having certain pairs like a marble + aqua at once can be shut down but store-based newday cards like amazon and debenhams shouldn't matter if you already have an aqua account?

last thing i want is to use the card then 3 months down the road get it shut down and demand the money back in full.
  • [Deleted User]
    CarperBoe wrote: »
    remember amazon is just the "face" of the card so to speak. newday is the actual lender as with aqua so it is still essentially a sub-prime card right?

No. Amazon is aimed at a more mainstream market, as are the other store cards, although they do accept further down the scale as well. NewDay moved away from the pure sub prime market around 4 years ago when they bought the Santander portfolio.

Your other assumptions are correct.

But even if your card is shut down, they won't demand immediate repayment.
  • No. Amazon is aimed at a more mainstream market, as are the other store cards, although they do accept further down the scale as well. NewDay moved away from the pure sub prime market around 4 years ago when they bought the Santander portfolio.

Your other assumptions are correct.

But even if your card is shut down, they won't demand immediate repayment.

what would they do then. stop any further spending and ask you to make monthly repayments at the current rate of interest?

i forgot to mention that this is about the classic amazon card. not the platinum which comes with cashback rewards etc. is still has most of the same perks and they claim to upgrade you to platinum after 12 months if you dont default. i suppose its just a different card design and considered a credit builder when they cant instantly accept you for the platinum.

it will be nice to carry around a purely amazon branded card because its less embarrassing to hand over at the till. hopefully this will go trouble free!
  • [Deleted User]
    Yes - you just need to repay in line with the agreement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure