Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 25th Jun 18, 11:34 AM
    • 239Posts
    • 1,081Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Getting it together...one at a time!
    • 25th Jun 18, 11:34 AM
    Getting it together...one at a time! 25th Jun 18 at 11:34 AM
    Quite a few of you will have likely read my old diary but after a moment or two of paranoia at the level of detail I was sharing and how easily identifiable I'd be if anyone who knows me stumbled across my diary, I'm going back to the beginning to try to keep my journey safe.

I've been on here battling with my debt since January 2017 and I'm coming up to a bit of a transitional period where some things will be changing financially so i'll start below with my end of June roundup to set the scene and talk about plans from September onwards.

June round-up
    Balances and paid amounts
    Loan: 10,001.79 / 15,792.30 (5,790.51 paid off - 37% paid)
    CC1: 3,257 / 3,807 (600 paid off - 16% paid)
    CC2: 4,421.14 / 5,031.14 (660 paid off - 13% paid)

Total: 17,679.93 / 24,630.44 (7,050.51 paid off, 29% paid)

Milestones reached in June
    • Dropped into the 17k bracket
    • Paid over 7k off debt

Changes coming up
    Youngest child will start to get some funded hours in nursery from September onwards so we will save 104p/m by averaging out the funded and non funded months and paying the same monthly sum into our childcare account.

When our eldest went to school at the end of last year, we decided this year would be holiday filled since it's the first we've been able to afford it since we had the kids. We are going away again soon with family and once we're back, the disposable income that's going towards holiday related things (like spending money and paying flights and accomm) will be free to go towards overpaying debt and towards a much needed replacement car for my husband.

I'll come back with a post for planning ahead fur July as well as exploring an overpayment plan for September onwards...
    Last edited by Homegrown0; 25-06-2018 at 3:21 PM.
Page 7
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 12th Sep 18, 3:45 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Thanks for the warm wishes everyone, i'm not feeling as rough as yesterday so surely I'm on the up. Surely...

I just got 20 in expenses back from my company today, so I've transferred that in to the previously barren holiday fund. It's now up to a grand total of 20! haha
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 12th Sep 18, 10:46 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Just got another little 1.17 survey on PA so when that clears, will be up to 15.50ish. Annoyingly, there was another survey that I signed up for but my screen resolution on the laptop wasn't high enough. Humph.

In good news, my sister and I have agreed not to do presents for each other and our husbands at Christmas. I do enjoy buying gifts for her, but it's about reducing spending and really we don't need any more 'stuff'.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Sep 18, 10:17 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,514 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Its good your sister is of like mind. Win, win.

Sorry you are unwell. Take care as these things can hang about a bit and bounce back if you don't look after yourself.
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • Thistlewhistle
    • By Thistlewhistle 14th Sep 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 7,427 Thanks
    Thistlewhistle
    In good news, my sister and I have agreed not to do presents for each other and our husbands at Christmas. I do enjoy buying gifts for her, but it's about reducing spending and really we don't need any more 'stuff'.
    Originally posted by Homegrown0

Sometimes the gift of time is more valuable than tangible gifts. My family agreed a few years back to not buy big Christmas gifts, just a little something daft to open on Christmas Day like a new dishcloth or a loofah! I won one year by buying father a savoy cabbage!

Anyway......back to the point!

More importantly we all agreed to arrange to meet up, all together and use a fraction of the money we'd have spent on presents to have a good old family shindig like an afternoon tea together for example. Costs about 10/person but the time we spend together is much more valuable than any gift.

T
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: 90200
    Mortgage at end 08/2018: 71646 paid 18354 (20.5%)
    MFD: Original:05/2042
    Car Finance: 8225 : 6392 (22.2% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): 5640 : 4400 (21.7% paid off)

Age of Money at 31/08/2018 = 23 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Sep 18, 12:05 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Thistle, you're so right about time being more important.

A couple of years ago we did no presents and we went out for a lovely dinner and some drinks in January. We don't do it very often so was a lovely treat and our husbands do get on really well too so that helps.

A savoy cabbage would definitely win in the random gift stakes!
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Yesterday was a NSD which is helpful

Husband and I spoke last night about what to do in half term because we keep swinging between going on a cheap weekend away to getting a cottage somewhere to just staying at home and doing day trips. I think we've pretty much agreed to just do day trips to try to keep spending to a minimum.

I'll try to keep money aside for entry fees into places and make sure we're set up with picnic stuff and try not to go wild. I've got a few ideas for places to visit which should make the planning easier but we'll probably decide based on what the weather does.

We are still a house full of germs, and i'm thinking of giving Friday night club (eldest son) a miss so that we can have an early night. He has a grading tomorrow for his TKD and both have swimming so it's a pretty full on day, especially when we're all under the weather.

I'm away working for part of next week so need to get organised for that too. Uurgh. Be gone germs!
    • Thistlewhistle
    • By Thistlewhistle 14th Sep 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 7,427 Thanks
    Thistlewhistle
    A savoy cabbage would definitely win in the random gift stakes!

It was an absolute "cow" to wrap!!
    Mortgage at end 05/2007: 90200
    Mortgage at end 08/2018: 71646 paid 18354 (20.5%)
    MFD: Original:05/2042
    Car Finance: 8225 : 6392 (22.2% paid off)
    CC Debt (0% until 06/2020): 5640 : 4400 (21.7% paid off)

Age of Money at 31/08/2018 = 23 days

YNAB is changing the way I live my life....and spend my money!!
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 14th Sep 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 16,192 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I once bought the boy next door a bottle of tomato ketchup for Christmas because he kept borrowing ours. It was beautifully wrapped complete with ribbons and bows!
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Haha - actually Toni'sfriend, that's a really thoughtful gift! I hope he was pleased
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Sep 18, 8:18 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Managed two more decent paying PA surveys this evening, so that's me up to 18.06 when they are approved. Close to my 20 cashing out goal again, and that'll be another 20 into the holiday pot.

TFI-Friday...

Visiting relatives have just left so the kids have just been put to bed, i'm getting into my pyjammas and I'm going to pour myself a gin.For medicinal purposes, of course. I think I've earned it after a truly rotten week.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 14th Sep 18, 9:28 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    How come you guys are getting PA surveys gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am getting nothing lol
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD 74.56 Survey Earnings YTD Ish 489.34
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    Qmee 16.15 Since 3/11/2018
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 15th Sep 18, 12:06 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    How come you guys are getting PA surveys gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am getting nothing lol
    Originally posted by Scott-Weiland
    I have no clue! Must be the right profile or something. I had two over 1 today and the same yesterday. They're taking an age to approve these days though.

Hope it's on the up for you soon!
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Sep 18, 10:33 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Monday morning again - how did that happen?

The weekend was nice. Saturday was mostly running about doing errands and taking the kids to their clubs, and Sunday we took the kids to a toy shop to spend some of the money out of their banks that they've been saving. We then treated them to a cheap treat dinner. It was a nice way to end the weekend!

I'm away from tomorrow for three days of work travel which will save a bit of money on my usual costs and on food costs too. I'm going after work to do a small food shop to keep my husband and the kids going while I'm away since I didn't get round to doing it yesterday.

I'm annoyed though because I spent 7 on train fare to come into the office and all of my colleagues are working from home so it's a waste of time and money for me. Never mind.

I used a toy shop voucher to order a toy each for the kids which I will put by for Christmas. They should be delivered by the end of the week. I have also made an order on an ebay type site for a few small stocking fillers for my eldest. Making a start.

This week (should be tomorrow), our loan payment for the month comes out and that'll take us down below 8.5k left to pay...getting there!

Days until pay day: 10
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Sep 18, 1:03 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Just got another 1 survey from PA so once they all clear (have 5 pending!) then i'll have 19.06. Close to my cashing out barrier
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Sep 18, 11:53 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 19,514 Thanks
    doingitanyway

This week (should be tomorrow), our loan payment for the month comes out and that'll take us down below 8.5k left to pay...getting there!
    Yes you are
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 6/30
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 24th Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    End of September round-up!
    I've been a bit absent over the last week or so - had a busy time of it, been under the weather and been away with work so i'm only just getting back to reality! Just in time for the end of the month round-up.

Here goes...

Balances and paid amounts
    Loan: 8,422.56 / 15,792.30 (6,843.33 paid off - 47% paid)
    CC1: 4,604.97 / 4,804.97 (started from scratch in July 18) 200 or 4% paid off
    CC2: 4,191.14 / 5,031.14 (840 paid off - 17% paid)

Total: 17,212.67 / 25,619.44 (8,409.74 paid off, 33% paid)

Good things:
    • 33% of total debt paid off!
    • Loan is edging closer to 50% paid
    • Moved the interest paying balance from the CC3 into the interest free CC1 card and overpaid 150 into it this month
    • Saved 200 into emergency fund (although it's likely to be needed soon already...)
    • My husband worked at the weekend and is going back to finish off the job next weekend (likely working most of the weekend) so we'll have some extra cash coming in which I'm hoping to put into the savings account if we can!

Not so good things
    • Again, there's been some irritating expenses this month but nothing wild
    • Our letting agent has messed up our tenant's first rent payment so it's looking like we may need to pay a few hundred pounds towards the mortgage/ factor bill this month. We should recoup some of the costs but I'm worried that I've missed something and we actually need to just pay it...

Savings pots
    I think its fair to say that some pots are doing better than others...

Christmas fund: 550 / 600
    Credit union savings: 350 (this has gone down as I withdrew 200 to start Christmas shopping with)
    General savings: 200
    Gifts/ clothes fund: 30 - another 100 will be added to this on 1st but both kids really need some new clothes so once I've been through their wardrobes etc i'll be able to figure out who needs what and what we need to spend. I also have two family birthdays in October so will need to make this money stretch this month! I'd quite like it if this pot had a chance to build up...

Days until pay day: 3
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 24th Sep 18, 2:23 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    I'm at 19.60 on PA with 1 pending... time trickles by while waiting on this approval! Come on! I want to cash out!
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 25th Sep 18, 10:14 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 1,081 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Furious doesn't even cover it
    Our new tenant moved in a couple of weeks ago and we just received our first month's rent. It's always light because they charge 199 'remarketing fee' to cover finding a new tenant, viewings, moving them out etc. However, they have deducted 299 this time. I called them on it and just got an email from them to say that they have put their prices up.

1. No communication/ advanced warning of the price hike.

2. 100 price hike is not insignificant!

3. They are so blazee about the fact that they've just taken my money.

I now have 181 towards a 410 mortgage payment which goes out in 3 days and I have a factor bill of 150 to pay on top of that for the flat... I'm seriously BEYOND ANGRY.

Why is there always something? I feel like every time I put money into our savings account, it needs to come straight back out for something else. It never gets a chance to mount up.

I'm challenging it, of course, but these people are a waste of space so I'm not holding my breath.
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 25th Sep 18, 10:38 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    rawr_
    Sorry to hear about how the Lettings Agency are treating you, that really is disgusting. Surely they have to let you know about a price hike before it happens, especially if you are already in the middle of using their services!

Very impressed with your Christmas fund so far - I have 31 saved for it so far, so I'm envious
    Debt as of September 2018: 10,706.15 | Current House Deposit: 17,755.83 | #77 Save 12K in 2018: 3500.31 / 6000
    Comp Wins 2018: Easter Tote Bag & Egg
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 25th Sep 18, 10:50 AM
    • 7,282 Posts
    • 15,966 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Have you considered selling the house you are currently letting? Now the tax rules have changed on rents received is it still worth doing it when you consider the hassle, cost of maintenance, letting fees etc etc? If you have equity in it you could use it to clear your debt. Just an idea although I am not a fan of BTL so never really got into it. People I know who do it though seem to be having constant hassle.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,967Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin