Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 25th Jun 18, 10:34 AM
    • 866Posts
    • 4,667Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Getting it together...one at a time!
    • 25th Jun 18, 10:34 AM
    Getting it together...one at a time! 25th Jun 18 at 10:34 AM
    Quite a few of you will have likely read my old diary but after a moment or two of paranoia at the level of detail I was sharing and how easily identifiable I'd be if anyone who knows me stumbled across my diary, I'm going back to the beginning to try to keep my journey safe.

I've been on here battling with my debt since January 2017 and I'm coming up to a bit of a transitional period where some things will be changing financially so i'll start below with my end of June roundup to set the scene and talk about plans from September onwards.

June round-up
    Balances and paid amounts
    Loan: 10,001.79 / 15,792.30 (5,790.51 paid off - 37% paid)
    CC1: 3,257 / 3,807 (600 paid off - 16% paid)
    CC2: 4,421.14 / 5,031.14 (660 paid off - 13% paid)

Total: 17,679.93 / 24,630.44 (7,050.51 paid off, 29% paid)

Milestones reached in June
    • Dropped into the 17k bracket
    • Paid over 7k off debt

Changes coming up
    Youngest child will start to get some funded hours in nursery from September onwards so we will save 104p/m by averaging out the funded and non funded months and paying the same monthly sum into our childcare account.

When our eldest went to school at the end of last year, we decided this year would be holiday filled since it's the first we've been able to afford it since we had the kids. We are going away again soon with family and once we're back, the disposable income that's going towards holiday related things (like spending money and paying flights and accomm) will be free to go towards overpaying debt and towards a much needed replacement car for my husband.

I'll come back with a post for planning ahead fur July as well as exploring an overpayment plan for September onwards...
    Last edited by Homegrown0; 25-06-2018 at 2:21 PM.
Page 30
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Apr 19, 7:49 AM
    • 4,212 Posts
    • 25,440 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding good Homegrown. Your countdowns always make me smile, especially 77 days to your holiday. Have a good weekend
    17/4000
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 13th Apr 19, 7:13 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Glad my countdowns make you laugh! Need to have something to look forward to
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target 10,000
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 14th Apr 19, 12:31 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    I only bother using Quidco now as found others to unreliable. I had a cheeky little 2.80 pay out the other day, small but always welcome!

I knew you'd have the childcare cash accounted for he minute it becomes available HG, you're doing so well. I love seeing loan repayments down to single fingered!
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • kindofagilr
    • By kindofagilr 15th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 6,662 Posts
    • 22,505 Thanks
    kindofagilr
    I love your countdowns too xx
    Current Debt 39,978.00/44,856.56 ~ 04/04/19 - 10.87% Paid Off

POAMAYC 2019 #87 4802.01
    POAMAYC 2018 #87 13,912.57

POAMAYC 2017 #87 10,380.18
    POAMAYC 2016 #87 7454.80

Mortgage (Start Date 01/04/09 ~ 30 year term, due to end 01/07/39)
    82,026.11/104,409.00 (as of 31/03/19) ~ 21.43% Paid Off

Christmas Savings 18: Totalled 750/Christmas Savings 19: 0
    Cyprus 19 Savings: 400/2000 ~ Centre Parcs 19 Savings: 375/500
    Emergency Savings: 50

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 16th Apr 19, 9:26 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Morning all! Another day, another to-do list! I'm really looking forward to having some time off - I need to step away from work and refresh. I'm sure my work will be better for it after some time away!

Not a lot going on here - super skint so trying to plough along and not spend money. I've had a few feelings of 'sod it, we're already over budget' but suppressing them well so far. Less than two weeks until pay day, i can do it with minimal damage I'm sure!

Been invited to parents for dinner tonight so that's one less meal to make this week.

Husband is still working hard - he's done a fair bit extra this week so hoping to put a bit extra to debt/ savings with this week's pay, although I've already had to siphon some off to cover our overspend this month so will try to be careful!

Gas and electricity bill has gone up by 16 per month from the end of this month... another rise! I'd better get a good pay rise this summer to cover all these rises!

Days until payday: 13
    Days until holiday: 73
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 16th Apr 19, 10:11 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning HG Will you have a long weekend this week with it being Easter?

Well done on keeping that 'sod it' monkey at bay. In 2 weeks when you've been paid, you'll be on here feeling really happy that you didn't give in and aren't playing catch up.

All these little price hikes mount up don't they. Hubby is brilliant at ringing round and bartering with those he can, but it takes him ages, not something that can be done when you just have a spare 5 minutes.

Enjoy your meal and seeing your Mum and Dad. xx
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 16th Apr 19, 10:58 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Yes, you're right about the bartering. Two of our increases are for council services (council tax and swimming lessons) so no bartering to be had there. Childcare is another no-go for bartering too and in terms of our gas and electricity, i think our deal is ending at the end of this month so i really need to get onto a comparison site, rather than just letting us lapse onto a standard tariff. Although I really HATE changing suppliers...

Car insurance is up in September so i'll be reviewing that in the hopes of keeping it down.

The 'sod it' monkey remains caged for another day!

I need to get back to using my planner and writing a list - motivation is at a low and forgetfulness is high!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 16th Apr 19, 2:56 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    I've been playing around with some numbers today regarding our renovations - as I mentioned before, we're planning on taking out a loan to fund the renovations. We have a clear budget and plan for this so I thought I'd play around with some numbers to make sure we can definitely afford it.

All is looking great - providing nothing major comes out of the blue, we'll be able to clear off a massive chunk of the debt by the beginning of next year (loan ends in January and we'll have one CC almost cleared off by then, leaving a minimal amount of debt.

I anticipate that we'll be able to secure a loan for the amount we need, pay it comfortably, while still overpaying on the last remaining CC and keeping the savings pot going. By the time the remaining CC is cleared, youngest will be starting school and we'll be making another good saving on childcare which will either go into savings or into overpayment of the renovation loan to bring the term forward. We'll see.

It always unnerves me that I'm planning so far ahead because I want everything to add up. Of course, things will change or catch us by surprise, but I think I've come up with a comprehensive enough plan to ensure we have plenty leeway and room for manouvre.

For now, we'll just keep plugging away at the overpayments and savings and hope we can get as comfortable as possible before the work starts

Hope you've all had a good Tuesday!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Hi all! Happy Wednesday

Well, it seems my husband's boss has gone back to paying him on Thursdays since his wages didn't arrive yesterday and still aren't in so I guess it paid off me moving his expected pay day to Thursday. Less of a disappointment and more accurate figures/ budget.

I am feeling VERY impatient though, because as soon as he gets paid, i'll be able to pay a nice chunk off the credit card and and put some more in savings. It's that time of the month, after all where there's lots of action

Today i need to get some work out of the way and also get to grips with some things in the house - mainly some dishes, a couple of loads of washing and tidying up my youngest's room (sort out his toy cupboard). Planning on making a cottage pie for dinner so must prep for that too. And I want to squeeze in some lunchtime home yoga...i should really get moving!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 17th Apr 19, 11:02 AM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    Homegrown you've certainly got a full grip of your finances. We have done quite a few renovations this year and found we had to spend more to save more in long term even though it added to the debt. I've a list of decorating still to do, but having a break from house things for a while until I'm back to work.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Apr 19, 12:07 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Yes, it's a tough balance Choccy. For us, we know it's very affordable (particularly because we're hammering the debt at the moment before we take out the renovation debt). And I often wonder whether we'd want to carry on for the next 5 years limping through with a falling apart house until we save up or would we rather bite the bullet and get it done, living in a lovely and functional house while we pay off an affordable amount over a reasonable period of time. It's a no brainer to me. Especially while the kids are young and we can all enjoy the living space as a family.

Surveys
    After having ignored PA for a while, I've just completed three surveys! One for 9, one for 1.20 and one for 20p. Not too bad for an hour's 'work'. I'll cash out as soon as they clear.

Oh! Husband has been paid - Wednesday this time! I'm off to do the sums and sort out payments then will come back to update.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Mid-month money update
    Paid to savings today - 200
    Paid to CC1 today - 300
    Topped up spending account today - 50

Current total for DFD challenge - 3,821.60 / 10,000 (38.2%)

It's nice to make some progress
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 17th Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 23,526 Thanks
    abba1772
    I think the motivation to pay of the loan for the home renovations once they are complete and your sitting in the space of your dreams will be beneficial xx
    NEXT TARGET BARCLAYCARD WAS Jan 19 4299 NOW 0
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 13039.59
    POAMAYC 2019 6479.39
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 17th Apr 19, 12:36 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    I think the motivation to pay of the loan for the home renovations once they are complete and your sitting in the space of your dreams will be beneficial xx
    Originally posted by abba1772
    That's what we're hoping for Abba! I think the fact that we'll still be able to save, not compromise our day-to-day lives and still afford to do other bits to the house while paying off the loan seals the deal. We always knew that 2020 would be the year things would happen and it's been a long 5 years putting up with a house that just isn't functional so now it's drawing closer we can start planning.

As I've mentioned a million times on here, my youngest starts school next year so we'll be saving a really good chunk on childcare costs and our loan finishes in January so we've been gearing up, ready for this and clearing the credit card decks, as you know.

We can do this!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 18th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    When hubby and I bought our forever house, we did talk about renovations as positive debt. Yes, it's still debt but it's making our house the home we dream off. It's a balance and for us we borrowed and spent more to save money in long run. You're doing so well HG
    X
    SPC 090 - 69.45 / 500
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 4,212 Posts
    • 25,440 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Is the bathroom one of the renovations?
    17/4000
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 19th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    When hubby and I bought our forever house, we did talk about renovations as positive debt. Yes, it's still debt but it's making our house the home we dream off. It's a balance and for us we borrowed and spent more to save money in long run. You're doing so well HG
    X
    Originally posted by Choccygirl123
    Thanks for your insights on this Choccy - i think it's sometimes difficult to reveal the fact you're on here clearing debt just to take out more, but there's a reason for it and you're right. To me, this is positive debt. Although we don't plan to move, the extension/ renovation and ongoing work to the house will add significant value to it so if we were ever in a position where we had to sell, we'd be in a good position.

The debt we're getting rid of is part overspending and unexpected expenses (through sheer disorganisation and not thinking ahead) and part house improvement (we got our driveway and drainage all done years ago to prevent further water damage) so once that's gone, our only remaining debt will be home improvement and that's how i want it to stay. I feel really positive about the whole thing.

Is the bathroom one of the renovations?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I wish it was! We will be doing our bathroom at some point, but it won't be part of what I like to call "phase 1" of the works. It's a bit further down the list of priorities but we'll hopefully get to it in the next couple of years. We have an original 1980s bathroom suite, with a non-functioning whirlpool bath and an original 1980 shower that's more of a drip than a shower. It'll be nice when we can finally get round to replacing that.

What are your plans for the bathroom? My husband sees a lot of these in his job so if you have any questions, i can ask him?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 19th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Also cashed out 11.22 from Prolific today (thanks to the good old 9 survey that popped up on Wednesday) so once that clears i'll transfer to CC1. That'll bring my total to 3,832.82 paid off this year so far.

We're just short of 30% of the way through the year and I've paid just over 38% of my target. Need to keep ahead of the curve on this so that the leaner months can be buffered a bit.

My husband got paid a little extra that he was owed yesterday and normally I'd throw that into our savings account but i think he's put it in his wallet for now. he's a busy guy but has Easter Sunday off so i think we'll use that for a family Easter treat.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 19th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 9,834 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi HG Just popping in to wish you a Happy Easter weekend. Hope your boys enjoy the Easter Bunny visiting them. xx
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 19th Apr 19, 7:36 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,667 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    We've had a lovely Friday so far - the gorgeous weather meant that we spent most of the day outside walking which was great. I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend, and might even crack the BBQ out tomorrow if it stays nice!

Hope yours is lovely too!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin