Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 22nd Jun 18, 7:10 PM
    • 781Posts
    • 2,488Thanks
    skintmumof3
    0 WOW
    Waitrose Essentials
    • 22nd Jun 18, 7:10 PM
    0 WOW
    Waitrose Essentials 22nd Jun 18 at 7:10 PM
    I am thinking of signing up to Ocado..they have a good offer on at the moment.
    As Waitrose is usually more expensive..I was wondering how good their Essentials range is in comparison to Aldi or Tesco brands.

TIA
    Skint
    x
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 22nd Jun 18, 8:16 PM
    • 32,595 Posts
    • 20,510 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 22nd Jun 18, 8:16 PM
    • 22nd Jun 18, 8:16 PM
    I am thinking of signing up to Ocado..they have a good offer on at the moment.
    As Waitrose is usually more expensive..I was wondering how good their Essentials range is in comparison to Aldi or Tesco brands.

TIA
    Skint
    x
    Originally posted by skintmumof3
    They're going to be decent.
    Anything in particular your interested in ?
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 22nd Jun 18, 9:15 PM
    • 781 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    skintmumof3
    • 22nd Jun 18, 9:15 PM
    • 22nd Jun 18, 9:15 PM
    fresh stuff mostly....normally shop at Aldi..but recently finding the fruit and veg going off pretty quick..even before the use by date......just after any hints and tips of which is the best really
    thanks
    x
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 22nd Jun 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 8,713 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 22nd Jun 18, 10:44 PM
    • 22nd Jun 18, 10:44 PM
    I find that Waitrose fruit and veg lasts for ages - much, much longer than Asda, Aldi or Lidl. Their essentials veg is absolutely fine. It's not the cheapest but I factor in the longevity when I'm buying it - 'bargain' veg isn't that cheap if you end up throwing half of it away as it's gone off.

I also like their tinned stuff, like pulses and tomatoes, it's really good quality for the price.
    • Clowance
    • By Clowance 23rd Jun 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    Clowance
    • 23rd Jun 18, 7:53 AM
    • 23rd Jun 18, 7:53 AM
    I like essentials bluebell bath, shower and hand wash. Its about same price as aldi I think, 99p for shower gel. Its lovely.
    Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!
    • alanq
    • By alanq 23rd Jun 18, 8:55 AM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    alanq
    • 23rd Jun 18, 8:55 AM
    • 23rd Jun 18, 8:55 AM
    I starting buying essential Waitrose Fruit & Nut Muesli when I tried out Ocado. I am no longer with Ocado but still make occasional visits to Waitrose to buy the product as I have found it to be the best product of its type that I have eaten.

Other tins and packets I tried were as good a quality as I had bought elsewhere.

I didn't buy much fresh meat, fruit or veg as I prefer to select those myself in a store.
    Last edited by alanq; 23-06-2018 at 9:04 AM.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 23rd Jun 18, 9:42 AM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 9,775 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 23rd Jun 18, 9:42 AM
    • 23rd Jun 18, 9:42 AM
    I think someone posted recently about 'Essential blackcurrant Cheesecake' - cheapest around if that's what you're into

Here you go

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5846836
    Last edited by fatbelly; 23-06-2018 at 9:44 AM.
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 23rd Jun 18, 10:37 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    skintmumof3
    • 23rd Jun 18, 10:37 AM
    • 23rd Jun 18, 10:37 AM
    thanks for all the suggestions......cant believe they have barely any frozen veg due to the co2 shortage.....
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 23rd Jun 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    • 23rd Jun 18, 10:49 AM
    • 23rd Jun 18, 10:49 AM
    I use ocado and regularly buy the essentials range. Fresh stuff its fine, lasts a decent amount of time. I buy their baked beans too, they are my favourite out of all the beans Ive tried in my life.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 23rd Jun 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    seashore22
    Ocado sell their own brand stuff and other makes too, it's not just Waitrose brands. Checking the reviews for what you want to buy is a good starting point, although it's not perfect as I've ordered items with less than glowing reviews and they've been very good. I've been using Ocado for a few years now and love it. I rarely have a quality issue, the choice is vast and it definitely saves me money.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 23rd Jun 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    seashore22
    thanks for all the suggestions......cant believe they have barely any frozen veg due to the co2 shortage.....
    I didn't even know about this, but it seems to be a potential problem for all food retailers. It won't just be Ocado who is impacted by this.

Also looking online there seems to be plenty of frozen veg available to buy from Ocado. Anything in particular that is missing?

Edit - just had a thought, where do live? That might impact what frozen food is available.
    Last edited by seashore22; 23-06-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    • skintmumof3
    • By skintmumof3 23rd Jun 18, 11:27 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    skintmumof3
    no frozen peas, bean, sweetcorn etc available on mine....I am in South east......x
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 23rd Jun 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    seashore22
    That's annoying. We are in the South West and have all of those.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 23rd Jun 18, 5:27 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    essential Waitrose is really good (with the odd exception) and the fresh food lasts well. Fruit & veg are fairly consistent in quality, unlike Ocado own brand which is roughly the same price but very hit and miss.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 23rd Jun 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,674 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    robin58
    How do you think they freeze vegetables and fruit?
    Last edited by robin58; 24-06-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 5th Jul 18, 5:11 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    MrsStepford
    essential Waitrose is quirky. Many of their essentials aren't basic value everyday items. I shop at Ocado quite a lot and love the essential Waitrose flageolet beans.

People say it's impossible to save money at Ocado but that's not true if you shop the offers and have a decent-sized freezer and cupboard. Ocado delivering tomorrow and I saved 21.46 I compared with ASDA and all the cheaper stuff from ASDA came today.
    • B'sKitchen
    • By B'sKitchen 17th Jul 18, 5:53 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    B'sKitchen
    How interesting that some of you save money shopping there! Can you share your tips and tricks?

I used to order from Ocado from time to time, but the min 40 order made me feel oddly guilty, as I rarely spend that much in Aldi/Lidl, unless we stock up on alcohol or/and meat.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th Jul 18, 6:04 AM
    • 7,859 Posts
    • 14,140 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I've got some 4 off 20 vouchers in the post for Waitrose. Very good as all of them have the same expiry date so if need to do 40, do it in two lots and use 2 vouchers.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 19th Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 12,715 Posts
    • 9,775 Thanks
    fatbelly
    How interesting that some of you save money shopping there! Can you share your tips and tricks?

I used to order from Ocado from time to time, but the min 40 order made me feel oddly guilty, as I rarely spend that much in Aldi/Lidl, unless we stock up on alcohol or/and meat.
    Originally posted by B'sKitchen
    I've got some 4 off 20 vouchers in the post for Waitrose. Very good as all of them have the same expiry date so if need to do 40, do it in two lots and use 2 vouchers.
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    The vouchers they send are pretty good - I've also got some 4 off 20 vouchers, and it's easier to get to 20 than you might think, as the following count but are deducted from the bill (provided you have a Waitrose card, which you would have if you are getting the vouchers):

Cofffee (e.g. latte) 2.35
    Newspaper (e.g.Times) 1.60
    Waitrose Drinks magazine 2
    Waitrose Food magazine 2

So you've spent 8 before you've spent anything, if you see what I mean. This makes your voucher in effect 4 off 12.

Some of their items are good value (Essentials range includes such essentials as frozen butternut squash and blackcurrant cheesecake), there are end-of-line reductions (picked up one-litre spray surface cleaners for 25p tonight) and always things on offer.

I did notice some crusty rolls tonight at 9p each but I also do a shop one night at Morrisons and they are even cheaper there if reduced.

I don't shop a lot at Waitrose these days but it's got its good points.

I'm considering switching from a Tesco clubcard credit card to Waitrose John Lewis credit card as I almost never use Tesco now and the Waitrose card gives 1% cashback on Waitrose spending(and 0.5% elsewhere) as vouchers.
    Last edited by fatbelly; 20-07-2018 at 5:23 PM.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 22nd Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 7,336 Posts
    • 10,746 Thanks
    surfsister
    Hi! Use topcashback for 20 cashback on 80 spend code AQ2AH6

coupled with 20 off first order on Waitrose website homepage. Then go for bogof's and specials. It takes ages but good savings to be had.

Ask not to have bags and have boxes ready then transfer as they leave shopping. Also tick no subs as they charge extra if dearer.

Also check beer/wine I got hobgoblin for 1.20 on special and merlot 4.65 - you have to search as even low to high the cheapest are sometimes down the list!! crafty Waitrose

Ground coffee/cheese/essentials cleaning stuff and bath stuff good especially the buebell range

Also look under the offers tab and 50% off or multibuy and do low to high and there are some good offers. Good Luck

I made use of a John Lewis e-voucher and actually paid a pound!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,829Posts Today

8,526Users online

Martin's Twitter