Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,712Posts
    • 8,674Thanks
    MeandO
    MeandO's money-shuffle
    • 22nd Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    MeandO's money-shuffle 22nd Jun 18 at 11:10 AM
    Hello all,

I've snuck back over from the MFW board as I still don't really feel 'at home' over there, so I hope no-one minds me creeping back in over here.

I don't really have any debt other than my mortgage, however, I am a single mum to one, now working part time, so have to budget really hard to pay the bills, save money monthly for yearly expenses and emergency savings 'pots' and attempt to overpay the mortgage at the same time as making sure my DS and I have fun.

I'm forever shuffling little bits of money from one place to another (hence the title ) in order to meet my self-imposed savings or mortgage repayment targets. Sometimes this is from saving money on the grocery budget, selling on ebay/FB/gumtree or from doing surveys, but I try and remember that every penny makes a difference.

I've paid off a lot of debt over the years and had several debt-free diaries, and, if I don't plan things properly and let things slip, it would be very easy for me to get back into debt. I also treat my mortgage as a debt (which it obviously is) that I need to repay ASAP and save interest on, so am forever chipping away at it.

Here's a link to my last diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5742079

Feel free to shuffle along with me!
    M
    x
    Last edited by MeandO; 31-10-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Mortgage: 107K 105,478
    Mortgage OP's 2019: 696.11/1800
    EF: 4325 H2S: 650
Page 21
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Apr 19, 8:31 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    I stayed at OH's last night and I think getting out of this house did me some good as I'm feeling a little bit brighter today. I was back bright and early as the builders are supposed to be doing some remedial work today.

Last night both OH and I claimed our 80 BT reward card as we both changed providers within a week or two. We were wondering where the cards were as they hadn't arrived. Sneakily, you have to click on a 'claim' button within a certain time period for them to be sent out. I don't like that tactic, I bet lots of people will miss out on their cards, waiting for them to turn up in the post.
    Anyway, the 80 will be very welcome this month and I'll use it towards the grocery shopping this month. That will free up 80 in the budget which I will either put towards savings or mortgage OP's.

DS also needS some new trainers this month and possibly a pair or two of school shorts if the nice weather continues. I have allocated 50 for this so far, but it may cost a little more, so part of the 80 also may end up going towards those. He will need some new school sweatshirts within the next few months, but I'm really hoping I can eek these out for 3 more months so that I can get them ready for September.

The BT bill was 10 less than I thought it was going to be this month too so that extra bit of money has been swept to another pot.

I've sent 50 to the Emergency fund this morning (now 4850), and the 50 DD to the Help to save account has also gone out (now 650 +325 guaranteed bonus so far). I've also transferred the monthly 100 to the car & house maintenance/insurance pot (now at 400).

One load of washing is on, unfortunately I'll have to use the tumble dryer as my washing line isn't up yet, plus it's going from pouring down to bright sunshine and back again outside. At least I can almost see the bottom of the laundry basket now though.

I was hoping to get a few sheets of wallpaper up today, but will have to wait for the builders to turn up first.

I may try and sort out DS's drawers today as they're a bit of a mess presently and I'm sure there's stuff in there that he's grown out of recently.
    Last edited by MeandO; 25-04-2019 at 8:57 AM.
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 25th Apr 19, 11:10 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    Moguline
    Hope you're feeling a bit better today, good news about the 80!

I just ordered some school shorts for my son and they were only 5 for 2 pairs in Asda and look really good - might be worth checking.
    Current debt (01/05/2019): 20,740 Total reduction so far: -5,697 (21.6% paid)
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you Moguline, that's a great price for shorts, I'll have a look in Asda. Thanks for the tip! x
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    I got the all clear with my eyes with I'm relieved about. It cost me 10 for an extra scan type test and I now have a lovely dilated pupil in one eye for the next 24 hours, so look a bit weird!

I picked up some YS haddock and a pizza in Asda whilst I was out. Also, some shorty pjs for DS reduced to 3 and 4 pairs of socks for OH reduced to 3.

I was early for my opticians appointment so had a browse in a charity shop and found 4 tops for myself for just over 15, all good brands and in great condition. I'm getting desperate for clothes now but hate clothes shopping and don't want to spend the money.

I had allocated 200 towards a bill that I thought had to be paid this month, but it's now the end of next month, so this month will be a little easier than I first thought, hopefully. So, I've transferred another 50 to the EF, paid 100 off the mortgage and the rest has been split between the 'clothes for DS' and 'general spends' pot.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 25th Apr 19, 3:47 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Mortgage: was 107K, now 105,700
    Mortgage OP's 2019: 648.24/1800
    EF: 4900 H2S: 650
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 25th Apr 19, 4:58 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 41,313 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Pleased to hear that you're feeling a little bit better today. Sounds like it's been a good one.
    NST May #18 nsd = 11 1 debt vs 100 days #5 553/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 29th Apr 19, 10:45 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Friday was a lovely, money-saving day. OH had the day off, so we had a trip to a larger city, about an hour from us. We had a walk round and visited a museum, got a free hot drink each with some old mcd's stamped card things I've had for ages and then went to c0stco as I had bought the membership deal from Groupon. We claimed all of our freebies, totalling around 30, plus our free 10 voucher and bought a few bits and pieces which were a good deal. We had around 70 worth of shopping for 9 once all of the promotions, discounts and vouchers were taken off! We also splashed out 3 on a two huge hotdogs and refillable drink each.

It was bit of a mixed weekend. I haven't seen DS much and so have really missed him. I'm also a bit worried about him at the moment and tried to discuss this with his father who instantly turned the conversation around to being all about himself as usual. He's hard work.

I had a few tears last night.
    It was inevitable it would happen, but the perfect house in the perfect location came onto the market at the weekend in the village I've just moved from.
    It had a huge drive and garden and was next door to lovely people I know and within a few minutes walk from DS's current school and likely future secondary school. I could walk to everything there - the shops, library, swimming pool, OH's house... It is also up for 25k less than I paid for this house. I was pretty down about it to be honest. Still am. Anyway, there's nothing I can do about it now.

I'm really struggling with living in the house at the moment and feel quite isolated from everyone and everything. It didn't help that the next door neighbours decided to scream and shout at each other all Saturday night into the early hours of Sunday morning and woke me up a few times with their rantings and banging of the front door. It was so bad, I almost called the police. I will be doing so if it happens again. I've been sat here this morning looking at paint and wallpaper and trying to summon up the will to do something to make this feel more like home and I just can't be bothered. I don't really know what the answer is to be honest.
    • Pink_Butterfly
    • By Pink_Butterfly 29th Apr 19, 2:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Pink_Butterfly
    Oh god, I feel for you with the neighbour situation. I had new neighbours move in 2 months ago and they’ve been a nightmare. Thankfully, their landlady has served notice, but it’s a 6 month tenancy so I’ve got them for a few months yet! I’ve been in touch with my local council about it and they’ve sent me a form to fill in regarding the dates, times, and details of the noise I can hear. I’m hoping this will help get them out quicker as I can’t cope any more

If your neighbours continue to be a nuisance, definitely contact your local council. Sending you hugs x
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thankfully my neighbours have been quiet since, hopefully it was a one-off and was obviously alcohol-fuelled, but we'll have to wait and see..

Hope your neighbours are out soon Pink_butterfly. It is a horrible thing to live with isn't it. xx
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd May 19, 11:59 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hmm, what to report?

Yesterday was a lovely day - I took DS to school in the morning then I spent the day with my friend/ex neighbour and we pretty much counselled each other through the particularly sh*tty times we've both had of it through the medium of breakfast out (9 altogether for both of us - my shout),a lovely walk along the coast and then tea and cake (her shout). She is probably the only proper friend I have here and I feel extremely grateful she is so.

I cooked food for OH last night and he turned up grumpy for the third night in a row and had a go at me about something trivial as soon as we he walked in the door which really pee'd me off tbh. I'd had enough after we ate, so sent him home early saying I was going to get an early night.
    I didn't. I read my book until past midnight, couldn't settle as a bit of a financial situation with the ex is on my mind atm plus my annoyance with OH. Ex situation discussed and cleared up in a fairly civilised manner this morning though, so feel easier about that.
    Then I soon as I lay down last night I started coughing... and coughing... ugh. Super tired today.

DS is with his Dad tonight and I'm already glum about not seeing him. He decided he was 'too cool' for a hug and kiss from his Mum in the playground this morning too.

I picked up a parcel from the delivery office this morning - a coat which was heavily reduced and a work top I bought on eBay at the weekend. Both look awful though and will be sent back. Am secretly pleased as that will be 50 back in the account.

I've done some cooking this morning - sausage rolls - as OH bought all the ingredients in for them and asked if I'd make them whilst I'm off, and an oven-baked frittata which I'm going to portion up and freeze for work lunches next week.

The regular mortgage payment has come out of the account so the mortgage has gone down a little. They have added the interest for the last month and a half as it hadn't been added since I took the mortgage out so that was a bit of a shock, but at least the total's gone down quite a bit thanks to my overpayments. I'd like to get it down to under 105K with next month's payment, so will need to find around 160 (at a guess) to overpay to cover the interest.

Just having a coffee and perhaps a catch up with my book. Am tired today and struggling to do much else now.
    Last edited by MeandO; 02-05-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd May 19, 12:29 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Forgot to say, a couple of days ago I requested 100 cash back from the BT deal which had become payable. I could really do with it in the bank account as I'm a bit short this month, but I will try and use at least 50 of it to overpay the mortgage.

I've also just withdrawn 4.75 from paypal, earned from shopmium CB.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 2nd May 19, 12:38 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just checked online and my tax credits will be going down by 80.01 a month. Not the 90 I first guessed at, but still a kick in the nuts considering I'm earning less.
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 3rd May 19, 9:37 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    Moguline
    That's so unfair about the tax credits, I really don't understand how that's even possible!

Hope you're ok MeandO. You're so strong for getting through all that life has been throwing at you lately, you can do it!
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 3rd May 19, 3:18 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you Moguline xx
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 3rd May 19, 3:22 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    47.87 op sent to the mortgage.

New totals:

Mortgage: was 107K now 105,478
    EF: 4900 H2S: 650
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 15th May 19, 8:08 PM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,674 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hello,

Not posted in a while but still watching the pennies.
    There have been a few spends on groceries, bits for the house and I have also booked a holiday for DS and I - just a static caravan on a nice park we've been to before, but even that cost a fortune (to me).

I deliberated about the holiday for days as the money was always going to have to come out of the savings pot and all I could think about was how much that could go towards paying this mortgage down or emergency savings etc, but yesterday I went ahead and booked it after seeing how much DS really wanted to go.
    I did get 90 off with my tesco club card vouchers but it still came to 434 for 5 days - the cheapest 'nice' place I could find what with it being in the school holidays. Anyway, we're going now and are looking forward to it, despite the savings pot taking a hit. OH may or may not come. He has been included in the booking as it was the same price, but this was primarily for DS and tbh, at the moment I'd quite like it to be just the two of us.
    I'm just not feeling it presently and I don't think he is either. There have been a few comments and situations that have upset me and made me think about things differently.

I've been feeling really low and just can't shake my low mood these past few weeks. The slightest thing makes me cry and I feel like I am 'scraping through' each day at the moment. I have real brain fog and even got lost at work this week and drove home completely the wrong way as I switched off.

I don't seem able to 'close chapters' in my life if you know what I mean and I keep rethinking about past upsetting events and how I dealt with them and what it was like living through it. Specifically, my marriage breakdown. It's weird, because it was years ago and I have no interest in the ex and I struggle to even tolerate him now. I know it was the right think to do and we would not have been happy if we'd stayed together, but I keep replaying it in my head and getting upset about where I am in my life now and the real lack of prospects for future happiness.

I think it's largely because the ex has this 'wonderful new life' full of a big 'blended' family and loads of friends that he seems to like to shove in my face whenever I see him and it is very unlikely now I will ever have that. Everything, upon everything seems to go wrong for me and my family to the point where I've almost given up expecting anything else now.

I have considered phoning the doctor, but I can't even get the results from my tests from 4 weeks ago without hassle at the moment, let alone get a new appointment. I have phoned 6 times, spent hours getting through, only to be told the results are not back yet (almost 4 weeks for an X-ray...), they won't give test results out before 3pm or that the surgery is closed for training (today). It stresses me out just thinking about phoning them.
    I spoke to my (only local) friend about things yesterday and she was really supportive, but is going through hell herself so all we seem to do is get upset about our situations together!

I'm trying to make myself feel better and so have started eating properly and am resisting reaching for the first easy thing and am actually making healthy lunches and dinner for myself for a change. It got that I was spending in the work canteen nearly every day too and I just can't afford that. Today has been my first 'calorie counted' day which I'm really pleased to say I've stuck within my limits, eaten well and have not felt hungry.

Oh - and my car is broken. Am having a nightmare trying to get it fixed, but when it does, should cost me around 200. The money is in the car pot, but will need to build this up big time and hope nothing else goes wrong.

Well, this post has turned somewhat deep and dismal! Am going to have a bath and an early night before I let myself get even more upset.

Night all x
    Last edited by MeandO; 15-05-2019 at 8:13 PM.
    • Pink_Butterfly
    • By Pink_Butterfly 16th May 19, 4:58 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Pink_Butterfly
    Morning lovely. I’m so sorry you’re feeling like this Is there another GP surgery you can register with? I know it’s an absolute faff, but in the long run it would be worth it. I do think you need to see a doctor as I remember feeling how you do about 5 years ago, and I ended up on Citalopram. If your current relationship isn’t working out then that will definitely be contributing to your thoughts on your marriage breakdown. When me & my partner were going through a rough patch it made me think of my breakup with my kids’ dad.

Sending you a biiiiiig hug and hoping that things get brighter for you soon. Message me any time xxxxxxxx
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 17th May 19, 12:08 AM
    • 1,613 Posts
    • 8,159 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry to read that you've been having a tough time. Sometimes it takes time after an event to process it in one's mind and make sense of it. That could apply to different situations too, such as moving or even illness. I had to go for a health appointment recently as was asked if I'd had time or chance to deal with my marriage breakdown.
    Last edited by Honeysucklelou2; 17-05-2019 at 12:12 AM.
    paydbx2019 #93 699.95/10,100 .
    School trips 1216/1269..
    EF 260
    • Moguline
    • By Moguline 17th May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 443 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    Moguline
    Sorry to hear you're feeling so low. I think it's perfectly understandable that you're feeling this way, you've been through a lot lately, and you have to deal with most of it by yourself. I honestly admire your strength and the way you've handled it all.

You are a very strong person - you are a great mother to your son, clearly put him first all the time. You have a good steady job, you've secured a good home all by yourself. You are strong!

I agree with seeking professional help. Mental health problems are a natural consequence of crappy things happening to us and nothing to be ashamed of. I've had professional help for dealing with stress (and haven't had half the things on my plate that you do!) and it's made a world of difference.

It's great to hear that you're prioritising self-care a bit more, it's so important.

Sending you hugs and best wishes!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 20th May 19, 5:32 PM
    • 4,726 Posts
    • 41,313 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Lots of love MeandO - just wanted to echo what the others have said about getting some help. I know it feels like too much and a load of hassle, but you're absolutely worth it. Don't let it get to the point where you're completely broken.
    And well done on booking the holiday - we all deserve that sometimes you know. I'm taking the kids away this summer.
    NST May #18 nsd = 11 1 debt vs 100 days #5 553/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

566Posts Today

4,647Users online

Martin's Twitter