Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,696Posts
    • 8,540Thanks
    MeandO
    MeandO's money-shuffle
    • 22nd Jun 18, 11:10 AM
    MeandO's money-shuffle 22nd Jun 18 at 11:10 AM
    Hello all,

I've snuck back over from the MFW board as I still don't really feel 'at home' over there, so I hope no-one minds me creeping back in over here.

I don't really have any debt other than my mortgage, however, I am a single mum to one, now working part time, so have to budget really hard to pay the bills, save money monthly for yearly expenses and emergency savings 'pots' and attempt to overpay the mortgage at the same time as making sure my DS and I have fun.

I'm forever shuffling little bits of money from one place to another (hence the title ) in order to meet my self-imposed savings or mortgage repayment targets. Sometimes this is from saving money on the grocery budget, selling on ebay/FB/gumtree or from doing surveys, but I try and remember that every penny makes a difference.

I've paid off a lot of debt over the years and had several debt-free diaries, and, if I don't plan things properly and let things slip, it would be very easy for me to get back into debt. I also treat my mortgage as a debt (which it obviously is) that I need to repay ASAP and save interest on, so am forever chipping away at it.

Here's a link to my last diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5742079

Feel free to shuffle along with me!
    M
    x
    Last edited by MeandO; 31-10-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    Mortgage: £107K £105,800
    Mortgage OP's 2019: £548.24/£1800
    EF: £4800 • H2S: £600
Page 20
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Apr 19, 6:18 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you HSL2 x
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Apr 19, 6:25 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    Mortgage now £105,898
    Mortgage OP's 2019: £450.24/£1800
    EF: £5000 • H2S: £600

I received the money for the FB sale today and £90 of it has already been OP’d.

I’ve transferred £400 from the deposit cheque to the emergency fund, bringing that up to £5000 and there’s now just over £100 in the ‘house’ fund towards starting to decorate this place shortly.

I bought some gifts today and have transferred the £25 from the ‘gifts’ fund to cover it.

I have budgeted for the council tax this month, but it will now come out after I get paid, so I have £150 ‘spare’ in that pot. I will put probably split this between OP’s, savings and the house fund.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 10th Apr 19, 6:33 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    £50 transferred each to the mortgage, savings and house fund.

Mortgage: was £107K now £105,848
    Mortgage OP's 2019: £500.24/£1800
    EF: £5050 • H2S: £600
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Apr 19, 7:23 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 5,216 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Just read your whole diary! Hope you are settled into your new home and your mum is doing ok!

I will definitely be dropping by to see how you are both doing!
    Living the simple life
    £2 savings challenge
    • plymouthscubagirl
    • By plymouthscubagirl 16th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 984 Thanks
    plymouthscubagirl
    Hey you
    Great to see you back and updating us all again.

Sorry I've been on leave last 2 weeks so I've missed your updates. Hope you are feeling a little better now? Lots of rest and listening to the body required. Our mortgage figures are pretty similar, amongst other things :-) I have £89,922.34 but have a £11,755.53 loan attached to the mortgage. Once I'm debt free in June I will be working on this loan part.....next on the hit list. Just wanted to say it was you that inspired me to sort my !!!! out actually. You're always plugging away at odd pennies/pounds here and there with the end goal in sight at all times. I really admire your resilience and determination with everything that gets thrown at you.......so well done you :-). Things will get easier I'm sure for you and good to hear you're all settled in your new house. xx

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    Just read your whole diary! Hope you are settled into your new home and your mum is doing ok!

I will definitely be dropping by to see how you are both doing!
    Originally posted by Tink_04
    Thank you Tink Xx
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Apr 19, 7:03 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    Great to see you back and updating us all again.

Sorry I've been on leave last 2 weeks so I've missed your updates. Hope you are feeling a little better now? Lots of rest and listening to the body required. Our mortgage figures are pretty similar, amongst other things :-) I have £89,922.34 but have a £11,755.53 loan attached to the mortgage. Once I'm debt free in June I will be working on this loan part.....next on the hit list. Just wanted to say it was you that inspired me to sort my !!!! out actually. You're always plugging away at odd pennies/pounds here and there with the end goal in sight at all times. I really admire your resilience and determination with everything that gets thrown at you.......so well done you :-). Things will get easier I'm sure for you and good to hear you're all settled in your new house. xx
    Originally posted by plymouthscubagirl
    Hey PSG, lovely to se you back. Hope you had an enjoyable couple of weeks off.
    Thank you for your kind words as ever. Glad my ramblings have helped you along a little and great news that the loan will be paid off in June. On to the next challenge then eh?! Xx
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    I'm still not feeling 100%, in fact, more like 50% at best, but am trying to make sure it doesn't impact on DS's easter hols to much and we have as much fun as we can. I am finding it tough though and yesterday I could have just sat on the floor (whilst building lego with DS) and cried.
    We haven't been able to go and see my family as planned either as I've not been feeling well enough.

To be honest, we haven't done a lot and the Mum-guilt set in pretty early on Monday even though DS seems happy (and very willing) to have an easy week of doing very little. We went to the toy shop on Monday and he spent some of his piggy bank money. Tuesday we made some easter cakes and did a spot of geocaching with a long walk disguised between caches and today we've been to the cinema using the meerkats 2 for 1 deal and had lunch in a local coffee shop. We've played board games and made lego this week too so hopefully he hasn't been too bored.
    He is with his Dad next week and will probably have his soon-to-be step family to play with so I'm sure he will have fun next week.

I have spent some money on things for the house over the past few days. I withdrew £250 from the savings as I realised I was ploughing too much in there and not being realistic with being able to save for house things at the same time too. I need to work on the balance with the pots there. As always, I've shopped around and made sure I didn't overspend.

I didn't spend the whole £250 and used £48 of it to round down the mortgage and make a further overpayment.

Figures now stand at:

Mortgage: was £107K now £105,800

There's now £4800 in the EF and £600 in the H2S fund, so I am doing ok. The Help to save account also generates a great bonus of after so many years, so there should be a nice lump in there by the time it matures and is well worth me saving the maximum of £50 per month into it. It was going to be my new kitchen fund as I opened the account when I was in the old house. How things change. It will probably now be an emergency fund or new car fund for when one is needed. Perhaps I'll put some towards taking DS on holiday as he'll be a bit older then, but the bulk of it will just be saved.

The house is still 'fine' and I'm still trying to make it feel more like home. Some days are better than others.

I'm feeling quite down again this week. The absolute, body-aching tiredness isn't helping me and I am so aware that I need to sort myself out. I'm now really quite concerned about my health - I need to be here for DS and certainly in a better state than the present version as he deserves so much better. I need to start eating better and living a healthier lifestyle, but I don't know where to start when I'm this tired and feeling this unwell. It's a real vicious circle.
    Last edited by MeandO; 18-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 17th Apr 19, 10:42 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 2,141 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Sounds like you have packed some stuff in while not feeling well. My kids have done very little. I have been at work, my oldest boy comes with me to earn pocket money, my daughter looks after the little two to earn money and the little two sit around in their pj's all day! I get home from work and attempt to get them dressed and out to a local park if I feel up to it. If not they don't. But they are both on the autistic spectrum and struggle with school so this downtime is essential in my eyes. We have been getting out at the weekends, but otherwise they are happiest at home. I imagine your ds hasn't missed out on anything, he is spending time with you, I am sure he doesn't care where.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 18th Apr 19, 12:29 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you Drawing a line. DS has just agreed he's enjoyed our 'chilled out' week, it's just me beating myself up really, thinking I should be doing more for him.

We've baked (more) easter cupcakes this morning as the last batch not-so-mysteriously disappeared very quickly!

I ordered some of the BOGOF paint from Wickes last night which worked out a much better purchase than the Homebase offer I have been looking at all week. It's a good job I am indecisive and couldn't decide on colours... DS and I popped out and collected the 4 tins earlier which has saved me a whopping £34. I've also been brave and gone for one rather bold/dark blue colour which I love but have never been brave enough to use. I may regret the decision when it's on the wall, but hopefully not!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,361Posts Today

4,185Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin