Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 22nd Jun 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,679Posts
    • 8,408Thanks
    MeandO
    MeandO's money-shuffle
    • 22nd Jun 18, 12:10 PM
    MeandO's money-shuffle 22nd Jun 18 at 12:10 PM
    Hello all,

I've snuck back over from the MFW board as I still don't really feel 'at home' over there, so I hope no-one minds me creeping back in over here.

I don't really have any debt other than my mortgage, however, I am a single mum to one, now working part time, so have to budget really hard to pay the bills, save money monthly for yearly expenses and emergency savings 'pots' and attempt to overpay the mortgage at the same time as making sure my DS and I have fun.

I'm forever shuffling little bits of money from one place to another (hence the title ) in order to meet my self-imposed savings or mortgage repayment targets. Sometimes this is from saving money on the grocery budget, selling on ebay/FB/gumtree or from doing surveys, but I try and remember that every penny makes a difference.

I've paid off a lot of debt over the years and had several debt-free diaries, and, if I don't plan things properly and let things slip, it would be very easy for me to get back into debt. I also treat my mortgage as a debt (which it obviously is) that I need to repay ASAP and save interest on, so am forever chipping away at it.

Here's a link to my last diary:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5742079

Feel free to shuffle along with me!
    M
    x
    Last edited by MeandO; 31-10-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Moving fund: £3650
    mortgage OP's 2018: £1894.35 🏡 2019: £37.21

Emergency Fund: £500
Page 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 19th Dec 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    I had to brave the 'big' supermarket last night as DS came home with a letter requesting items to be brought to school for today. It wasn't too busy and I took the opportunity to get almost everything on my list for Christmas! The veg will store fine in my super-cold store and the rest was mostly 'normal' groceries we needed. DS also decided he wanted to buy gifts for 3 of his school friends as he had started receiving gifts from them, so around £6 each was spent on them. The whole bill came to just over £64 which, considering £18 of it was on 'presents', I was pleased with. We may just need milk, eggs and bread before Christmas Day which I can walk to the small supermarket to buy.

I still need to pick up two orders from stores, do some wrapping and pick up a voucher and then all prep is done.

I've transferred £25 to the house move fund this morning from craft sales, these will probably cease now, but it has certainly helped to boost the pot.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 21st Dec 18, 8:50 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    I took OH out for a meal last night and in true MSE style we used a 40% off voucher we had. It was nice to do something different for a change and the downtime from the usual busy schedule was lovely.
    We then collected both online orders I needed to pick up and I bought the gift voucher which finishes my Christmas shopping! So glad to get everything done. I just have a few bits to wrap now and all will be ready.

It's payday today so I've shuffled the money round to various pots. Another £100 has gone into to moving fund, £100 into the presents fund as I have two big birthdays to buy for early on in the New Year and another £100 has been transferred to the car maintenance pot.

Once the CB and CTC's are paid this month I can build the house fund up a little more.

• MeandO
    • By MeandO 21st Dec 18, 3:18 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Another £30 sent to the house fund, bringing it up to £1700 again.

I placed and promptly cancelled an order for some furniture I would like, but don't really need. It was an absolute bargain at under £100, reduced from £400, but I need to concentrate on the 'needs' first.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 21st Dec 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You're doing brilliantly! I think I need some of your motivation because I just cannot get started with saving anything at the moment.
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 10 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
    • selloptape
    • By selloptape 21st Dec 18, 6:40 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    selloptape
    Sounds like you’re all ready for Christmas - hope you have a lovely day x
    GC Jan £209.67/£278.61
    Save 12k in 2019 #8 £682.65/£1,5000
    MFiT T5 #22 Save £20k over 3 years
    Walk 1500 miles in 2019 - 224.56/1500
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 22nd Dec 18, 6:05 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on increasing the house moving pot...amazing.
    paydbx2019 #93 £461.38/£10,100 .
    School trips £916/£1269..
    EF £160
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 2nd Jan 19, 12:36 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi MeandO,

Hoping that you have had a special Christmas with your DS and family. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2019.
    EF £160
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 2nd Jan 19, 2:07 AM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 31,387 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you had a wonderful Xmas and a Happy new year

I'm glad I've found you again

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 6th Jan 19, 9:37 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hi MeandO,
    Hope all is well with you. Thinking of you..
    EF £160
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 8th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you for popping by everyone, I hope you all had a lovely festive period and wish you all the happiest of happy new year's.

Unfortunately I found Christmas itself very difficult and quite upsetting due to the behaviour of a few people around me and it left me feeling extremely lonely and down for a good few days afterwards. However, DS enjoyed the day and was really pleased with all his presents, so that was the main thing.

I'll keep this short as I'm exhausted with the details, but the new house situation is not good. It seems it has been so poorly constructed that it needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. I am not legally committed to buying it yet but I do stand to lose over £1k if I back out and am in a very complicated catch 22 situation which I can't go into detail about. I really am starting to think that I am cursed or someone has a voodoo doll of me, not that I am normally a believer of such things.

I really don't know what else to do or which way to turn at the moment.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Jan 19, 1:34 PM
    • 3,376 Posts
    • 31,387 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I have no advice as I'm useless at that. However know we are all here to listen when you need.

Take care

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”

POAMAYC 19 #70 £1561/£2070
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 8th Jan 19, 3:27 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Am I right in thinking that the people buying your old house are the people you are buying the new house from?
    Is there another house that they can offer you?
    You must feel absolutely fed up with the whole rigmarole. Unfortunately I don't have any legal expertise to offer, but what does your solicitor say?
    I really hope that things start going your way very quickly. ((((hugs)))) XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Jan 19, 6:13 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,358 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Sorry that there are more difficulties with your housing situations. What a good job though, that the poor construction was discovered before the sale had gone through or you had moved. Are there any other properties within your locality?
    EF £160
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 19, 7:19 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Oh, how horrible to read this. I can't imagine how you must be feeling if Christmas hasn't been great, and you're having further problems with the housing situation. I really hope that it gets sorted out for you...
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 10 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 9th Jan 19, 10:22 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you all.

I explored all other options yesterday, but unfortunately none were very positive and will be extremely complicated. It looks like I will just have to cross everything that the house is 'repaired' to a good standard and go from there. I'm at the end of my rope with it all now, I can't do much more about the situation so I'm just going to have to get on with it and see how it turns out.

The new tumble dryer arrived early this morning, bought after Christmas with a £20 off voucher. We took the old one to the the recycle centre last week avoiding a charge for it to be collected. I'm glad it arrived early as it meant I could get to work on time and not have to worry about making hours up.

DS and I had a terrible night's sleep last night. DS was crying twice, upset and scared about something he'd seen on TV - an advert for a kids show which has a witch in it which seems to freaked him out. He's not normally like this, has never been scared of the dark or anything, but suddenly seems to be bothered by these things. He was crying and calling for me at 4am this morning so ended up in my bed which meant neither of us got any further sleep. I must have only got about 3 hours last night so am not feeling the love today.

The internet broke this morning so had to fiddle with that; the ex rang at a ridiculously early time wanting to speak to DS; OH phoned just as I was rushing round to get things done; I was waiting on delivery men and then DS spilt stuff all down his school jumper so had to change and the car would just NOT defrost despite drowning it in de-icer and leaving it to run for ages. When I eventually got to work, others had parked so badly across two spaces that I had nowhere to park so I had to park elsewhere then move the car later.... basically, this morning wasn't fun and my patience is running very low!

I've had to chase the builders again today as they have still not responded to my email of two days ago...

I really hope 2019 eases up on me a bit soon.

• ToeDipper
    • By ToeDipper 9th Jan 19, 12:38 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    ToeDipper
    De-lurking because someone I know had similar issues with a new build.

His was a terraced house in a small development of terraced houses and flats. After completion it turned out nothing had been done properly - inadequate fire safety, balconies not properly tied into the building, subsidence etc.

Everyone had to move out for a year or so whilst the issues were fixed. The developer (or presumably their insurer) paid for the remedial works, but also for a structural engineer to act on behalf of each owner.

Is that something you could insist on as part of the contract? If not, I certainly wouldn't proceed without appointing my own professional to inspect the works - the whole point of buying a new build was to give you peace of mind on this stuff so don't leave it to chance and hope!
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Jan 19, 8:55 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thank you for the advice ToeDipper, sounds like a good idea.

After fighting with the company all week over their plan to 'remedy' certain areas they considered needed fixing, I then received the news that the whole house is being knocked down and rebuilt. At least someone has some sense. There was no way that house could be patched up.

Meanwhile, I have found another property to look at. It's £90K cheaper than the new one, obviously much smaller, semi detached and an old property, but it looks perfect for DS and I. The trouble will be convincing my Dad that it is a good idea after what happened with the last old property I bought. He worries terribly and I don't want him thinking I'm ignoring his advice as he does know what he's talking about, but once he gets something in mind, he won't deviate. Obviously at the end of the day it is not my Dad's decision, but my parents have helped me so much and I don't want them to think I don't appreciate all of their help and advice and go completely against what they advise me to do.

Anyway, I am viewing this property next week. I intend to get it fully checked out as much as I can by a professional whose opinion I trust.
    It would also mean I can pay my mortgage off within 6-8 years instead of the 22 it will take me to repay the larger house and if anything happens to my job, as is always a risk, my mortgage repayments would be much easier to cope with.

We'll see what happens next week.

In other news, I have sold a piece of large office equipment I used for my home business. The sale of this means that my business is no longer 'operational' and my Etsy shop will be closed. It was always the plan to close the business at some point as sales and profits have gradually declined dramatically over the years with more and more plagiarism and then mass production of products (too) similar to mine. However, the business has done me well for 6 years and I will be sad to close it down. It was something I achieved on my own and helped me to believe in myself more. It also enabled me to overpay my mortgage, save money and usually paid for Christmas and although it was a lot of hard and rather lonely work at times it did demonstrate how much I love working for myself and building my little empire so perhaps I can look at doing something else in the future.

The item is being collected tonight and will bring in £180 which I will put straight into the house fund. I can then get rid of a second desk (which I have gifted to a neighbour for her daughters) and start clearing my little office room.
    The desk has been in the family for over 30 years too, so I will be sad to see that go, but it's no longer needed and going to a home that has experienced a lot of turmoil lately and will be appreciated.

I topped DS's dinner money account up today by £20 and have YNAB'd a grocery spends and £9.99 on a birthday gift for DS I bought yesterday. The gift was £8 cheaper in Argos than Amazon, so I bought it whilst it was that price! Funds have been transferred from the gifts account to cover it. I will order a few more things for him today but there is plenty of money in the gifts account to cover those.

Breakfast and lunch continues to be brought into work and it's just me to feed tonight, so tea will be something simple from the fridge.

I wonder what next week will bring...
    Last edited by MeandO; 11-01-2019 at 8:57 AM.

• crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Jan 19, 6:37 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You sound a lot more upbeat at the moment MeandO - sounds like this house is well worth a look at. You don't need to decide if you want it until you've seen it - and 90K is a huge amount of money...
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 13th Jan 19, 3:31 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 4,463 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hi MeandO
    Glad to hear you sounding a bit more upbeat and hoping that everything goes well with the house viewing this week. Maybe this was meant to be... you didn't really like the 'new' house or it's location, so perhaps it will work out for the best in the end.
    I'm almost certain that you can get a 'complete' survey (or you used to be able to!) whereby you are covered by their insurance for anything that goes wrong, which hasn't been pointed out to you. in their written survey results. It obviously costs more than the normal survey but well worth it for peace of mind and maybe to ease your Parents minds? Might be worth checking out anyway. ((hugs)) X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 14th Jan 19, 10:26 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Thanks both, unfortunately the house was an absolute no-go. Loads of problems inside and out and they're just the ones we could see...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

2,028Users online

Martin's Twitter