Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kittie
    • By kittie 19th Jun 18, 6:40 AM
    • 12,446Posts
    • 78,966Thanks
    kittie
    Preserving, it has started
    • 19th Jun 18, 6:40 AM
    Preserving, it has started 19th Jun 18 at 6:40 AM
    Lets get this thread up and running. It is june 2018 and produce will not wait but first I will mention the very best food preservation book I have ever used. You can still get it from amazon for 1p second hand or around 7 new

`home preservation of fruit and vegetables` by AFRC institute of food research

Perhaps people could say what they are growing and picking or buying in bulk.
    Last edited by kittie; 19-06-2018 at 7:31 AM.
Page 7
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 3rd Sep 18, 9:54 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Thanks to the support on this thread I am now the proud owner of 2.pots of vibrant damson jam. Just had some.on toast and it's delicious.
    Had a moment or 2 of panic as I got distracted and dumped all the sugar in with the fruit right at the start. Figured I had nothing to lose and just cooked it anyway.
    Put the scrapings on a saucer and had it on toast. It set maybe a wee bit too much.

Need to go and get more jars so I can make more. Only managed 1kg fruit in my big pan. Maybe could.do 1.5kg next time as there was a.wee bit of room.
    I have to admit to skimming off all the stones and skin leaving only the nice stuff. Seemed a lot that went in the bin but I want nice jam if.I'm going to make the effort of.making it. I remember damson jam with skin and stones when I was a.kid and it was truly awful.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • Floss
    • By Floss 3rd Sep 18, 11:10 AM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    Floss
    ....When it comes to muslin cloth, we have some huge ones left over from daughter that were NEVER used. Presume I can use them for this purpose, if it cut them down to size? Anyone know of any reason why I can't or shouldn't? As I say, they have never been used, so no risk of contamination.
    Originally posted by euronorris
    Wash them to get rid of any dust or packing fibres then scald them with boiling water from the kettle just before you strain the mixture.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 3rd Sep 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10,037 Posts
    • 46,816 Thanks
    euronorris
    Wash them to get rid of any dust or packing fibres then scald them with boiling water from the kettle just before you strain the mixture.
    Originally posted by Floss

Great, thanks Floss. Saves some pennies and gives them a use!
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 5th Sep 18, 8:07 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Help with next batch of damson jam please
    First two jars have set quite firmly. Then the next batch (of 10 jars of course) are more runny than I would like. I couldn't get it to get to a decent wrinkle no matter how long I was boiling it and I eventually had to stop.

Can anyone tell me their foolproof recipe please? The first one I used had less water and more sugar but doesn't taste too sweet at all. So is that the way to go? Or is it because I mucked up the first lot, added the sugar at the start so then just scooped off the seeds as they rose and cooked it a lot less time.
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 6th Sep 18, 8:54 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Can anyone help please?

The jam that I have that's a bit runny, any point in adding more sugar and boiling it up again to try to set it a wee bit more?
    • Lowslung
    • By Lowslung 6th Sep 18, 11:06 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    Lowslung
    So long as you added the correct amount of sugar in the first place it should set - just keep boiling and testing. Damson is a good setter usually
    Last edited by Lowslung; 06-09-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Sep 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8,402 Posts
    • 29,526 Thanks
    Primrose
    You may have boiled it for too long. As a novice I once boiled marmalade for way too long and it never set. I was left with about 20lbs of runny orangeliquid which I eventually had to dispose of. . I think behind a certain point you probably boil off all the natural pectin in the fruit. You could try buying a bottle of of commercial,pectin, recoiling it very briefly for a few minutes only and then adding the pectin. That may help a firmer set.

If you plan on making a lot of preserves a jam thermometer is really helpful because you boil u TIL setting point has been reached for a couple of minutes and then do the cold plate in the fridge wrinkle test with a small drop of the jam. It takes away a lot of the guess work on timing and uncertainty bout when setting point has been reached.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 8th Sep 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 10,359 Thanks
    rosie383
    Thanks Primrose. I did have a thermometer and I think I thought it had come to temp too soon and probably overboiled it.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 15th Sep 18, 5:57 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    If it's any help, Rosie, the recipe I use is 5 lb fruit, 6 lb sugar and 1 1/2 pints of water. Simmer the damsons for 30 minutes (or about 15 if they've been frozen), then add the warmed sugar, dissolve and boil for 10-15 minutes. It says to skim the stones off but I tend to end up scooping up the jam with a slotted spoon and hoiking out the stones with a sundae spoon.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 29th Sep 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    Fermenting green tomatoes - has anyone tried it?
    I still have a lot of green tomatoes in the greenhouse but any night now they will be stopped in their tracks. I have read it is possible to ferment them rather like sauerkraut but has anyone tried this or tasted the result please? I have too much chutney waiting to be eaten so won't be making any more.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Sep 18, 8:38 PM
    • 8,402 Posts
    • 29,526 Thanks
    Primrose
    Never tried fermenting them but if they are of a reasonable size you can try pan fried green tomatoes. I'm planning to try this if some of my larger already picked green ones are slow to ripen. . It's a South American recipe I think where the slices are coated in herbed cornmeal and then lightly fried. Quite a well known recipe I think so should be found if you Google it.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 29th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    Never tried fermenting them but if they are of a reasonable size you can try pan fried green tomatoes. I'm planning to try this if some of my larger already picked green ones are slow to ripen. . It's a South American recipe I think where the slices are coated in herbed cornmeal and then lightly fried. Quite a well known recipe I think so should be found if you Google it.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Thanks Primrose, I have come across recipes for this but I have hundreds of green tomatoes and just me to eat them! It's probably one of those bizarre combinations of food and cooking method which really works well so I will try them when I can get some cornmeal.

I am quite into fermented foods at present, have just made green and red cabbage sauerkrauts and beets and cukes are in the fridge. My dehydrator is going day and night and I still have hundreds of apples and carrots to sort out. Even if there is four months of snow this winter, there will always be some weird and wonderful concoction to try.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 29th Sep 18, 9:17 PM
    • 8,402 Posts
    • 29,526 Thanks
    Primrose
    Just found this on fermenting tomatoes in case it's of interest:

https://www.growforagecookferment.com/fermented-cherry-tomato-bombs/

Please do report back if you try them. I can't really imagine what they would taste like.
    • penny-wise
    • By penny-wise 1st Oct 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    penny-wise
    I have fermented green tomatoes. Some cherry ones I left whole, bigger ones I cut up so they were all about the same size. I added dill seed, garlic cloves and mustard seeds to the ferment. They were pretty good. I still prefer cucumber pickles, but the tomatoes were a decent substitute. Its hard to describe the flavour, they didnt taste particularly tomatoey, the dill and the pickle flavour shone through, but they were a little bit fruitier than a cucumber pickle.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 1st Oct 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have fermented green tomatoes. Some cherry ones I left whole, bigger ones I cut up so they were all about the same size. I added dill seed, garlic cloves and mustard seeds to the ferment. They were pretty good. I still prefer cucumber pickles, but the tomatoes were a decent substitute. Its hard to describe the flavour, they didnt taste particularly tomatoey, the dill and the pickle flavour shone through, but they were a little bit fruitier than a cucumber pickle.
    Originally posted by penny-wise
    I think I will have to try this because I am finding it impossible to keep up with dehydrating all the tomatoes and apples and at least with fermenting you can put it in the kilner jar and forget about it for a good few days. I have some pickle pipes now, which are fermentation lids for kilner jars so it's a one way air vent in effect. It's also getting very cold at night in the greenhouse - just 3.9C last night I will try a serving of fried green tomatoes as they are so very popular in the Southern US states.
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 2nd Oct 18, 9:59 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    The best way to preserve and safe the product for long time is .......
    Originally posted by Jasonaldean
    Unimpressed by spambot.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 6th Oct 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 9,204 Thanks
    Living proof
    As if I didn't have enough to preserve, I picked a couple of pounds of sloes yesterday when I was visiting Sudbury. There were thousands of them planted around a large supermarket as part of the landscaping and it took just a few minutes to pick enough for a litre of gin. I doubt the area has experienced a frost just yet so I'll wash them and put them in the freezer for a couple of days. The area was full of hedgerow apple trees just groaning with lovely shiny red apples. Very jealous!
    • Wraithlady
    • By Wraithlady 6th Oct 18, 4:21 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    Wraithlady
    You may have boiled it for too long. As a novice I once boiled marmalade for way too long and it never set. I was left with about 20lbs of runny orangeliquid which I eventually had to dispose of. .
    Originally posted by Primrose
    That may explain why I have never made marmalade that set. Might have to try again, with a bottle of pectin on stand-by!

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

43Posts Today

3,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin